Turn on thread page Beta

Calculating [H+] with pH known. Does the "ratio" affect? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm just assuming we are asked something like this for example:

Calculate [H+] present in the H2SO4 solution, provided that the pH of the solution is 2.

We know that pH = -log[H+].

Based on that, will the answer simply be:

2 = -log[H+] = 0.01 mol dm-3?

In other words, although having the ratio between H2SO4 and H+ as 1:2, this does not affect the way of calculation when pH is known?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I believe there is something else to take into account due to the fact that H2SO4 is a di-protic acid, which, if I remember correctly either sees the concentration either x2 or divided by 2. I can't quite remember which though or if in-fact I am alright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SWEngineer)
    I'm just assuming we are asked something like this for example:

Calculate [H+] present in the H2SO4 solution, provided that the pH of the solution is 2.

We know that pH = -log[H+].

Based on that, will the answer simply be:

2 = -log[H+] = 0.01 mol dm-3?

In other words, although having the ratio between H2SO4 and H+ as 1:2, this does not affect the way of calculation when pH is known?

Thanks.
    Your answer is correct. The relationship between [H+] and pH is

pH=-log_{10}[H^+]

the fact that the acid is dibasic is irrelevant. It would only need to be taken into account if you were trying to work out pH or [H+] from the concentration of the sulphuric acid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato's Trousers)
    Your answer is correct. The relationship between [H+] and pH is

pH=-log_{10}[H^+]

the fact that the acid is dibasic is irrelevant. It would only need to be taken into account if you were trying to work out pH or [H+] from the concentration of the sulphuric acid.
    Thanks a lot for your reply. Yes, I think that makes sense.

And, thanks @MrCasperTom for your reply.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.