• Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I was wondering if anyone else had been in a similar situation to me. I applied for a graduate job, and on the website it says that after applying, this is what happens:

Stage One: The first round interview is held in one of our centres. This provides a great opportunity for you to meet a team and see a centre in action. Part of the interview will require you to be observed working with the children. Decisions are fed back within three working days.

Stage Two: The 'Assessment Day' takes place at our Head Office in Guildford. We usually hold at least two per month. The day involves an interview, role play, presentation and group based task.

However, after applying I was asked to do a telephone interview.

Has anyone else had something like this happen to them? I'm unsure if it's a good thing, or whether I'm in a 'maybe' pile, so they want to do like a pre-test to see if they want to take me to the 'official' stage one...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xKTx)
    Has anyone else had something like this happen to them? I'm unsure if it's a good thing, or whether I'm in a 'maybe' pile, so they want to do like a pre-test to see if they want to take me to the 'official' stage one...
    It could be that the applicant / place ratio has been so high that they have decided to add an extra screening step. Obviously they are limited in the number of interviews they can host but they can easily outsource the phone interviews if need be.

I have no idea whether they'd be doing them on everyone (whose CV is vaguely decent) or just on borderline cases to save money.

ReputationRep:
    They may just being an initial check to just see if you're at all suitable. Maybe just simple questions. But I don't think anyone can be certain.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xKTx)
    I was wondering if anyone else had been in a similar situation to me. I applied for a graduate job, and on the website it says that after applying, this is what happens:

Stage One: The first round interview is held in one of our centres. This provides a great opportunity for you to meet a team and see a centre in action. Part of the interview will require you to be observed working with the children. Decisions are fed back within three working days.

Stage Two: The 'Assessment Day' takes place at our Head Office in Guildford. We usually hold at least two per month. The day involves an interview, role play, presentation and group based task.

However, after applying I was asked to do a telephone interview.

I had this in one of my previous positions. I was asked to give a telephone interview. If it's worth anything, I got the job, and other people on the same programme who got the job had the same interview.

It's most likely that the employer has had many more applications than they anticipated and want a filtering stage to make their job feasible. My telephone interview wasn't difficult at all
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Thanks everyone. Had the phone interview and now waiting to hear back, so fingers crossed!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.