The Student Room Group

Extra recruitment stage?

I was wondering if anyone else had been in a similar situation to me. I applied for a graduate job, and on the website it says that after applying, this is what happens:

Stage One: The first round interview is held in one of our centres. This provides a great opportunity for you to meet a team and see a centre in action. Part of the interview will require you to be observed working with the children. Decisions are fed back within three working days.

Stage Two: The 'Assessment Day' takes place at our Head Office in Guildford. We usually hold at least two per month. The day involves an interview, role play, presentation and group based task.

However, after applying I was asked to do a telephone interview.

Has anyone else had something like this happen to them? I'm unsure if it's a good thing, or whether I'm in a 'maybe' pile, so they want to do like a pre-test to see if they want to take me to the 'official' stage one...

Original post by xKTx
Has anyone else had something like this happen to them? I'm unsure if it's a good thing, or whether I'm in a 'maybe' pile, so they want to do like a pre-test to see if they want to take me to the 'official' stage one...

It could be that the applicant / place ratio has been so high that they have decided to add an extra screening step. Obviously they are limited in the number of interviews they can host but they can easily outsource the phone interviews if need be.

I have no idea whether they'd be doing them on everyone (whose CV is vaguely decent) or just on borderline cases to save money.
Reply 2
They may just being an initial check to just see if you're at all suitable. Maybe just simple questions. But I don't think anyone can be certain.

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by xKTx
I was wondering if anyone else had been in a similar situation to me. I applied for a graduate job, and on the website it says that after applying, this is what happens:

Stage One: The first round interview is held in one of our centres. This provides a great opportunity for you to meet a team and see a centre in action. Part of the interview will require you to be observed working with the children. Decisions are fed back within three working days.

Stage Two: The 'Assessment Day' takes place at our Head Office in Guildford. We usually hold at least two per month. The day involves an interview, role play, presentation and group based task.

However, after applying I was asked to do a telephone interview.

I had this in one of my previous positions. I was asked to give a telephone interview. If it's worth anything, I got the job, and other people on the same programme who got the job had the same interview.

It's most likely that the employer has had many more applications than they anticipated and want a filtering stage to make their job feasible. My telephone interview wasn't difficult at all :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks everyone. Had the phone interview and now waiting to hear back, so fingers crossed!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending