The Student Room Group

Does this sound like a introduction?

n/a
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by sim12345
It is on the coursework based on Romeo and Juliet
It has 192 words in total, it sounds to me more like the first paragraph rather then an Introduction, how can I improve this more?

Romeo and Juliet story is written by William Shakespeare. It is about two “star cross’d lovers” who are deeply in love but their adventure takes a fatal turn. In Act 1 Scene 5 the Capulets have thrown a ball. Romeo and Juliet first meet and have their first kiss. When Tybalt recognises Romeo’s voice he swears to take revenge and this leads to Tybalt killing Mercutio and Romeo killing Tybalt. It is a pivotal scene in the play because Romeo and Juliet first meet and found out who each other’s families were. Tybalt hears Romeo’s voice and swears that he will take revenge. The two families are forced to reunite after the events that take place during the play. Two dramatic devices that are used in this scene are similes which are used to show how beautiful Juliet is: “Like a rich jewel in an Ethiope’s ear.” The costumes show how rich the Capulets and the Montagues are and that they are upper class. The effect it will have on the audience is that they will want
to see if Romeo and Juliet have a relationship and what Tybalt is going to do.

Thanks

Everything in bold should probably come later in the essay as it is an in depth analysis of the play. An introduction is an outline of the play such as the first line you already have. I remember doing this at high school, and my intro wasn't too long. Just give an overview of the plot, the scenes and how Shakespeare essentially sets up the demise of both Romeo and Juliet. If you're finding it difficult, begin the first paragraph and go back to the intro later.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Prose Before Hoes
Everything in bold should probably come later in the essay as it is an in depth analysis of the play. An introduction is an outline of the play such as the first line you already have. I remember doing this at high school, and my intro wasn't too long. Just give an overview of the plot, the scenes and how Shakespeare essentially sets up the demise of both Romeo and Juliet. If you're finding it difficult, begin the first paragraph and go back to the intro later.

Hope this helps :smile:

thanks very much,
but my teacher gave a set of questions to answer for the intro which were:
what the story is about?
what events take place in Act 1 Scene 5? (think about R&J when they first meet, Tyablt swears to take revenge?
Why is it a important scene? (R&J find out which families they are from, they first meet)
and mention one successful dramatic device that I think has been successful in the play and what effect this would have on the audience?

I was also wondering it sounds like more of a paragraph,
Should I just say this to round the whole intro off:

Romeo and Juliet is a story written by William Shakespeare in the year of 1590's. It is about two "star cross'd lovers" who are deeply in love but their romantic adventure takes a fatal turn. In this essay I will look into depth about the events which take place in Romeo and Juliet in Act 1 Scene 5: when they first meet and Tybalt wanting to take revenge from Romeo, and the two real teenage lovers find out which families they are from. I will also talk about dramatic devices used and how they effect the audience thoughout the play.

thanks

Quick Reply