Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Guys

First of all I'd like to say thanks for any replies I get and to any mods I'm sorry if I've put this in the wrong section!!:askamod:

My situation is I'm a first year studying an I.T based course in a large city.

Every day I get the train at 7.00 in the morning from where I live with my family in to Uni. It takes about 1 hour to get to Uni for me on the train. And thats not including the walk from my house to the train station which is about 30 mins. So I find the travelling really hard! (It's about a tenner a day to get there!!)

Every time I try to talk to my mum about my options for quitting uni or somehow changing my course closer to home or trying to get a qualification at the end of year one and then leaving she just ignores me kind of.

To be honest i've made no friends at uni its not that I'm a horrible person its just most people live in the city in halls and seem to have most friends from halls. So when I go home on the train after my classes people just forget about me.

I do work at the weekends and I love my job and I wouldn't leave it.(My job is where i live In a small town) The trouble is the first year course seems nothing to do with my actual degree its got loads of stupid units which are nothing to do with web design! And its sooo expensive to live in halls about £110 pounds a week! For a small rubbish room (no offence if you live in halls its my opinion) And also I don't think I could live away from my family and live in a big city and be broke with no job and only student loans to pay for things.

Obviously this is going to be the cheapest time to go to uni as well for a while as student fees are going up! So thats putting me of from leaving.

My main problems are the traveling and not having many friends

So those are my reasons for why i'm thinking about quitting Uni what do you guys think i should do any comments will be much appreciated

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quicken)
    Hi, Guys

First of all I'd like to say thanks for any replies I get and to any mods I'm sorry if I've put this in the wrong section!!:askamod:

My situation is I'm a first year studying an I.T based course in a large city.

Every day I get the train at 7.00 in the morning from where I live with my family in to Uni. It takes about 1 hour to get to Uni for me on the train. And thats not including the walk from my house to the train station which is about 30 mins. So I find the travelling really hard! (It's about a tenner a day to get there!!)

Every time I try to talk to my mum about my options for quitting uni or somehow changing my course closer to home or trying to get a qualification at the end of year one and then leaving she just ignores me kind of.

To be honest i've made no friends at uni its not that I'm a horrible person its just most people live in the city in halls and seem to have most friends from halls. So when I go home on the train after my classes people just forget about me.

I do work at the weekends and I love my job and I wouldn't leave it.(My job is where i live In a small town) The trouble is the first year course seems nothing to do with my actual degree its got loads of stupid units which are nothing to do with web design! And its sooo expensive to live in halls about £110 pounds a week! For a small rubbish room (no offence if you live in halls its my opinion) And also I don't think I could live away from my family and live in a big city and be broke with no job and only student loans to pay for things.

Obviously this is going to be the cheapest time to go to uni as well for a while as student fees are going up! So thats putting me of from leaving.

My main problems are the traveling and not having many friends

So those are my reasons for why i'm thinking about quitting Uni what do you guys think i should do any comments will be much appreciated

Thanks
    These are just a couple of ideas off the top of my head

- join a society. I joined a ski society and they arranged times to go to the snowdome every 2 weeks and people got there however they liked so you could meet people there or whatever
    - interested in raising money? You could use your interest in that to do fundraising with other like minded people at the uni?
    - get talking to people around you and mention you live at home. Where I used to go to uni loads of people lived at home locally so you never know.
    -consider transferring uni? Thats what I'm doing at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    First year modules are a general collection from other various I.T courses. Second Year is where you will start to go into more detailed modules about your actual course. So don't be alarmed when your sitting something like economics when it has no value to you.

First Year modules are for those who have taken A-levels for example and don't really have the knowledge that someone has who has taken I.T web design specifically at a techinical college aswell.

It's just a fresher year, get you warmed up you could say.

If you're really worried look at a the second years module timetable, or ask your head of year, tutor, advisor etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.