Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This structure of the drug seems to have an amide group based on the general amide expression. But the confusion is about it being a protein Proline ( which has a heterocyclic ring ). Does it count as a pyrrolidine ring only or can it also be an amide?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...eletal.svg.png

It has both an amide group and a pyrrolidine ring

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oZu)
    This structure of the drug seems to have an amide group based on the general amide expression. But the confusion is about it being a protein Proline ( which has a heterocyclic ring ). Does it count as a pyrrolidine ring only or can it also be an amide?
    It most certainly is not a protein!

It's not either an amide or a pyrrolidine ring, it contains both moieties, as EvS says. You don't need to decide between the two

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, appreciate the help. I have one more tiny query: the same structure..
    It has 2 H bond donors (which are obvious) and 3 acceptors. Now I am wondering:
    Nitrogen cannot be an acceptor because its electrons are in the cyclic structure (right?), so it leaves the sulphur atom, and both oxygens with double bonds..
    Am I going the right way?

Cheers

(Original post by Plato's Trousers)
    It most certainly is not a protein!

It's not either an amide or a pyrrolidine ring, it contains both moieties, as EvS says. You don't need to decide between the two

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oZu)
    Thank you, appreciate the help. I have one more tiny query: the same structure..
    It has 2 H bond donors (which are obvious) and 3 acceptors. Now I am wondering:
    Nitrogen cannot be an acceptor because its electrons are in the cyclic structure (right?), so it leaves the sulphur atom, and both oxygens with double bonds..
    Am I going the right way?

Cheers

acceptors have to have a lone pair and be electronegative, so it's your three oxygen atoms.

ReputationRep:
    Makes sense - what about the sulphur? I know it is capable of disulfide bonds so surely it should be a H acceptor? has 2 pairs of lone pairs as well :]

(Original post by Plato's Trousers)
    acceptors have to have a lone pair and be electronegative, so it's your three oxygen atoms.

ReputationRep:
    Sulphur doesn't really form accept hydrogen bonds in a meaning sense - it's not electronegative enough and being second row it's electrons are more diffuse and spread out.

You can get a sense of relative h-bond strength from water and H2S. H2S boils at -60C, so there's clearly an awful lot less hydrogen bonding going on compared to water.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 24, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.