Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My dentist said she would do a minor filling without one to see how I get on, as I might not need one for my root canal fillings if I need any of them done.

However what I am confused about is I thought dentists are only allowed to local anesthetics these days. Also I would bloody well hope they do a local anesthetic if I need any route canal fillings doing!

ReputationRep:
    i left the dentists a oon as i could!!!
    They can only give local but 15 years ago they cxould give any.
    my teeth are fine even though i have no fillings and never been to the dentists after 16!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    My dentist said she would do a minor filling without one to see how I get on, as I might not need one for my root canal fillings if I need any of them done.

However what I am confused about is I thought dentists are only allowed to local anesthetics these days. Also I would bloody well hope they do a local anesthetic if I need any route canal fillings doing!
    In my experience, root canal fillings arent really that bad, I had one last year and I was dreading it. It didn't hurt at all and was more uncomfortable than anything, and it took ages to do. Ive had fillings done without anaesthetic too but I would rather just have the injection just to be sure!

ReputationRep:
    Did your teeth look a mess before you had them done? I don't get any pain from them but they look awful they need recapping. I am worried that means they are dead.

My bottom ones are nearly perfect though, they need a good clean and a couple of minor fillingsbut nothing major.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i am here now)
    i left the dentists a oon as i could!!!
    They can only give local but 15 years ago they cxould give any.
    my teeth are fine even though i have no fillings and never been to the dentists after 16!!
    Oh, i am here now, you are a shining example of the way the English language should, nay must, be spoken. Incomprehensibly.

ReputationRep:
    15 years ago? It was sooner than that, my friend had it not long ago...
    and i dont get the OP's question......you thought they only do local...yet you bloody hope they do local. umm..then you're in luck?

ReputationRep:
    No what I mean is they they are only allowed to a local anesthetics so she might be planning to operate with any injections at all

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it local anesthetics which they fire into you through the injection?

ReputationRep:
    Demand a local..... state you have a low pain threshold! Refuse the treatment without it! Dentists do generals but in a hospital so i presuming that cos a all d risks involved in anastetics (i cant spell). Dentists are vicious tho!

(Original post by AT82)
    Did your teeth look a mess before you had them done? I don't get any pain from them but they look awful they need recapping. I am worried that means they are dead.

My bottom ones are nearly perfect though, they need a good clean and a couple of minor fillingsbut nothing major.
    If they are dead then you won't feel anything, cause the nerves are dead as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph D)
    Demand a local..... state you have a low pain threshold! Refuse the treatment without it! Dentists do generals but in a hospital so i presuming that cos a all d risks involved in anastetics (i cant spell). Dentists are vicious tho!
    Yeah my second cousin twice removed died from that in a dental surgery.

ReputationRep:
    What has happened to ya english..lol. my second cousin twice??????
    They used to give ppl cocaine when havin their teeth removed...not sure in what form!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph D)
    Anaesthetists administer general anaesthetics - dentists do not. Dentists can only administer "local" anaesthetic.
    I think you'll find that many dentists' - mine certainly does - have a qualified anaesthetist that comes to their practice once a week to administer a general anaesthetic to those that need it. The anaesthetist will also administer sedatives if needed.

ReputationRep:
    Always Get The Local.. My dentist gave me a little display without it and god.. well Maybe its different for different pwople but it hurt like hell. Although Im now in the situation Because ive had 4 fillings, I now need 2x Locals because I got so used to one.. I dread to think what happens when I can still feel it afer two...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanzing)
    .. I dread to think what happens when I can still feel it afer two...
    Ask the dentist for some of the vodka/gin/whiskey/rum that he anaesthetises himself with after a long day...........

ReputationRep:
    local is sufficient for getting teeth pulled out without any pain...you might get away without for something as minor as a filling. just depends on how sensitive the teeth and nerves are. for some it might be fine, others agonising

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodhisattva)
    Anaesthetists administer general anaesthetics - dentists do not. Dentists can only administer "local" anaesthetic.
    I think you'll find that many dentists' - mine certainly does - have a qualified anaesthetist that comes to their practice once a week to administer a general anaesthetic to those that need it. The anaesthetist will also administer sedatives if needed.
    I thought they made it completly ilegal though as dentists don't have hospital facilities. I.e if you don/t wake up you're much better off in a hospital than some crummy dental surgery.

ReputationRep:
    oh god i had a general anaesthetic when i was about 9 to have a couple of teeth out. They didnt give me enough, and i woke up just as they were sticking all the clamps in my mouth. I was screaming for my mum that they were going to kill me! Screaming when you cant close your mouth for all the clamps inside it is pretty scary too.

Seriously i still have nightmares even now. ANd if i ever have to have a hospital op, im going to be completely traumatised. I refused to have my tonsils out for that very reason.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 24, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.