Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have my first ever MOOT in two weeks which is part of my overall Legal Skills grade for this year. I won't go into the scenario facts but basically I am representing the Respondent (Mr Smith) on this point:

'Even if there was a contract and so Mr Smith refunded £342, Mrs Andrews would not be able to recover the difference of the £308 loss she incurred by not being able to successfully complete her contract. The appellant (Mrs Andrews) appeals to the Court of Appeal, contending that there was a unilateral offer that she had accepted. The respondent (Mr Smith) cross-appeals, contending there was no contract'.

What point of law am I arguing here?! Does it have anything to do with Promissory Estoppel? Someone please helpppp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlottejepsonx)
    I have my first ever MOOT in two weeks which is part of my overall Legal Skills grade for this year. I won't go into the scenario facts but basically I am representing the Respondent (Mr Smith) on this point:

'Even if there was a contract and so Mr Smith refunded £342, Mrs Andrews would not be able to recover the difference of the £308 loss she incurred by not being able to successfully complete her contract. The appellant (Mrs Andrews) appeals to the Court of Appeal, contending that there was a unilateral offer that she had accepted. The respondent (Mr Smith) cross-appeals, contending there was no contract'.

What point of law am I arguing here?! Does it have anything to do with Promissory Estoppel? Someone please helpppp.
    It sounds like offer and acceptance and whether the offer was a unilateral contract but without all the facts it's impossible to say.

Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Co. might be a good place to start.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 22, 2011
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.