Turn on thread page Beta

Am I the only guy who thinks this? watch

ReputationRep:
    I just saw the "Girls, what is the oldest guy you will go with?" thread and I think it's creepy that some of these girls aged 18 or so would happily date guys 9 or 10 years older than them!

Aside from hating it because older guys are inevitably more attractive than guys the same age as the girls making me, and probably other guys our age, feel somehow inadequately young (lol I know that sounds weird), I find it weird thinking that 18 year old girls would date a 28 year old who at that age might have been married for years, have a kid, and would have been discovering masturbation etc when the girl was still at nappy age?!

I'm not saying the guys shouldn't be attractive to 18 year old girls as that is an unfortunate truth but am I the only one who finds it creepy?

(P.S. This might have come from hearing my girlfriend's answer and then my brain imagining her with a 28 year old and me being freaked out)

ReputationRep:
    At least you have a girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm I don't think I'd get with someone 10 years older than me, but that's just me - I don't think I'd have anything in common with them. Like you say, they have much more life experience, and just a generally different outlook on life as you're at such different stages.

And I don't think you're necessarily right in saying older guys are always more attractive, I'd say I find the average 20/21 year old more attractive than someone of 28 or 30. Again, might just be me.

ReputationRep:
    And what is also annoying, is that when us men are 28 and its our turn to start going out with 18 year olds, all the 28 year old women will think we are creepy pervs.
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    And what is also annoying, is that when us men are 28 and its our turn to start going out with 18 year olds, all the 28 year old women will think we are creepy pervs.
    ....you already are :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    We will all be 28 at some point aswell...

Besides it's not THAT common

Ladies tend to describe their dream guys, tall, dark hair, older, has money, mature.... that automatically narrows it down to about 1% of guys on earth.

EDIT - Obviously my figures are inaccurate, but you get the gist of what I'm trying to get at.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats a bit odd to say the least, most of the girls in my university go out with older guys though. Theres one who's 23 and she's going out with a 29 year old, I'd say they're probably attracted to this idealistic image of maturity, it's generally thought the older you get the more sensible you become. It's not like that in my case.

ReputationRep:
    tbh I think 10 years is too much. max maybe around 5 years I reckon, but each to his/her own

ReputationRep:
    The thing is though, is that a guy who goes for a girl considerably younger than him is likely to be immature. Whilst it might look and feel awesome for a girl to have an older boyfriend, it doesn't look so cool for a guy to have a girlfriend who is a lot younger than him. If a considerably older guy was making a move on me, I'd wonder why he wasn't cutting it with women closer to his age. When there's a massive age gap it can also be hard to judge the maturity of the older one. Say you're a 20 year old girl and you start dating a 30 year old guy. You're thrilled that your new man is mature. But in reality, he shouldn't feel only a little bit older than you, he should feel a LOT older. With a ten year age gap, he could seem older but still be incredibly immature for his age.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a girl not a guy ha but when I was 18 I wouldn't have dated a guy 10 years older. just because I think with an age gap like that at that age you both want totally different things in life. like I'd have been thinking about uni and he'd have been thinking about a career/settling down etc

ReputationRep:
    Most 18 year old girls i've known / met are too immature and annoying... and I'm 23 lol.

I'm pretty sure I won't be interested in one when I'm 28.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davezk)
    Most 18 year old girls i've known / met are too immature and annoying... and I'm 23 lol.

I'm pretty sure I won't be interested in one when I'm 28.
    I agree with this completely.

28 year old guys who date 18 year olds must be pretty pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    In for 18 year olds when I'm 30

#WINNING

ReputationRep:
    I know what the OP means, it can feel a bit like we're being left out by girls for older guys, when guys usually can't get older girls that easily.
    However, good charm and sexual charisma can easily let you pull an older girl.

ReputationRep:
    Im 29 and dont necessarily need or want an 18year old, i like a woman whos independent and not looking for constant hand outs lol

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I don't get it either. I think many of the girls that say this have bad experiences with younger guys - perhaps they happened to be rather immature and made them think that it had to do with age rather than personality, and that they need an older man?

I personally don't care much about age; I have never had a relationship with a guy who wasn't older than me, but that's just a coincidence, not something I have been actively searching for.

ReputationRep:
    28 year old who at that age might have been married for years, have a kid
    Umm... this isn't the 1950s. The vast majority of 28 year old men aren't married with kids... and the ones who are usually aren't the same ones who are dating 18 year olds.

ReputationRep:
    It's legal so who cares!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    ANd the reason we/they all go for the 18 year old girls is because we couldn't get many ourselves at 18 because we were overshadowed by the then 28 year olds and finally its our turn when suddenly all the 18 year old girls are swooning at our feet.

Its because of good old biology.

At age 18 girls are pretty much in their peak of physical attractiveness for the next few years, 18 year old guys on the other hand, unless you're lucky most of us at gangly lanky acne riddled hormonal messes at 18.

No wonder they all go for older guys.

ReputationRep:
    Women who are my age (twenty-one), and slightly younger feel like infants to me. Way too immature, to generalise, though I have met some exceptions.

I'm interested in older women now, so the chances of me going for a lady ten years my junior at thirty is astronomically low.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2012
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.