Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Am I the only guy who thinks this? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Because they have no idea what it's like. The only thing that a 18 year old girl can offer a 28 year old guy is sex - there isn't any security, she can't provide anything, she won't bring him kids, and she probably seems pretty dumb and innocent. They think 'he's got a lot to give' but don't realize that they've got to give back a lot as well.

Also the guy who goes for the much younger girl has failed in interacting with women of his own age who have a lot more to give, so they're probably losers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsukuyomi)
    This might turn into a law lesson and i cant be asked to get into it. Im already depressed enough with my ankle injury. Gotta stay indoors whilst amateurs balling like they good.

As i said do your thing, btw right now you are showing your immaturity by saying "How on earth is it rape if they consented"
    That's not immaturity, that's opinion. My honest belief is if someone consents, it isn't rape. You do have to take age into consideration (do they know what they're getting into etc) but at 12, I knew what sex was, and if I'd consented to a guy I wouldn't accuse him of rape. It might be disgusting if he's about 50 and she's 12, but it isn't rape. Possible paedophilia, but not rape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 69Crazyfists)
    You mean like most cases wouldn't work. And if there are 23 year olds out there who has loads in common with a 16 year old girl, well... that's slightly odd.
    I think age is very important in relationships. A 16 year old sees the world very differently to a 23 year old. I don't care who they are, that's just how it is.
    But it does matter who they are. You can't generalise people based solely on age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Ahh you're so 16. :rolleyes: your 'passion' and enthusiasm about what you believe is nice and everything but you sound pretty naive imo, don't go around with the potentially bothersome attitude of 'age not mattering'... that's weird. I can imagine you at 18 dating someone over 10 years older than you
    How am I naive? Plenty of people believe age doesn't matter, and in my opinion it really doesn't providing the two people are legal. If she's 18 and he's 30 and it works for them, so what? They're not hurting anyone. And it really does depend on the individuals. After having experiences which have made me have to 'grow up fast' so to speak, I just don't feel that I connect with many people my age. I get on far better with older people (or at least people with a scrap of maturity) for both friends and relationships.

Not to say you're immature, haven't experienced anything, I wouldn't know that cos I don't know you personally but you're coming across in that way, to be fair a lot of girls your age do tend to be into older girls but yeah, looking at it from an older guys' point of view, if you're like 23/24 and actively looking for teenage girls I just think it's a bit weird - just sayin
    It's weird to actively go looking for anyone - but if you happen to fall for a younger girl, so what? I don't actively seek older guys as such, I've just found a lot of them to be more mature and that I have more in common with them. Not to say I wouldn't date an guy my own age if he was mature and I liked him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    But it does matter who they are. You can't generalise people based solely on age.
    Actually I think you can. Maybe there are handful of exceptions but it is true that 16 year olds and 23 years old see the world very differently. And I don't buy into the idea that a 16 year olds can be as mature as 23 year olds because all they really have to worry about is exams. 23 year olds are leaving university (or working) They have to deal with things like financial issues but most importantly are at that stage where they really have to work out what they are going to do with the rest of their life.

ReputationRep:
    pretty normal for girls to go with lads older than them, up to 10 years anyways. my boyfriend is 5 years older than me i'd find it very odd if the girl was the one 10 years older :/ e.g. 27 year old girl in a relationship with a 17 year old lad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    How am I naive? Plenty of people believe age doesn't matter, and in my opinion it really doesn't providing the two people are legal. If she's 18 and he's 30 and it works for them, so what? They're not hurting anyone. And it really does depend on the individuals. After having experiences which have made me have to 'grow up fast' so to speak, I just don't feel that I connect with many people my age. I get on far better with older people (or at least people with a scrap of maturity) for both friends and relationships.

It's weird to actively go looking for anyone - but if you happen to fall for a younger girl, so what? I don't actively seek older guys as such, I've just found a lot of them to be more mature and that I have more in common with them. Not to say I wouldn't date an guy my own age if he was mature and I liked him.
    yeah plenty of people, Berlusconi included... that sad, old man - but seriously, I get your point and all buuut 18 and 30 is pushing it, you're basically saying that as long as at least one of the people in the 'relationship' is legal, there should really be no limit or boundary on age difference? I like how you're free spirited and open about this but at certain age gaps, it just gets odd, from a 'normal' societal perspective, the average person in society wouldn't agree with it

but fair enough, if you get on with people older than you - I've heard exactly what you're saying from other young girls a couple times before and if you're just like that then what can you do... but yeah, doesn't mean you have tonnes in common with some random 25/26 year old - older guys often take younger girls for being naive and just physical objects and take advantage, it just happens :/

Just wondering btw, you're 16, what's your upper age limit then? If you have one

ReputationRep:
    Ryan from Eastenders (Neil McDermot) is 30 and he just slept with a 16 year old!

Also, I'm 20 and was recently seeing a guy who is 7 years older than me. He seriously doesn't look it though; at first I thought he was about 22/23. He didn't act his age, he didn't act my age... he acted like a child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
    I just saw the "Girls, what is the oldest guy you will go with?" thread and I think it's creepy that some of these girls aged 18 or so would happily date guys 9 or 10 years older than them!
    Alan Rickman is 48 years older than me.

I SO would :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 69Crazyfists)
    Actually I think you can. Maybe there are handful of exceptions but it is true that 16 year olds and 23 years old see the world very differently. And I don't buy into the idea that a 16 year olds can be as mature as 23 year olds because all they really have to worry about is exams. 23 year olds are leaving university (or working) They have to deal with things like financial issues but most importantly are at that stage where they really have to work out what they are going to do with the rest of their life.
    If you think all I have to worry about are exams, then you honestly have no idea. And no, I'm not on about the does he like me?! Oh which lipstick tonight?! typical 16 year old dramas. Different people have different problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    yeah plenty of people, Berlusconi included... that sad, old man - but seriously, I get your point and all buuut 18 and 30 is pushing it, you're basically saying that as long as at least one of the people in the 'relationship' is legal, there should really be no limit or boundary on age difference? I like how you're free spirited and open about this but at certain age gaps, it just gets odd, from a 'normal' societal perspective, the average person in society wouldn't agree with it
    I do think as long as they're both legal there's not an issue. Yeah some of it might be weird but hey whatever floats peoples boats.

but fair enough, if you get on with people older than you - I've heard exactly what you're saying from other young girls a couple times before and if you're just like that then what can you do... but yeah, doesn't mean you have tonnes in common with some random 25/26 year old - older guys often take younger girls for being naive and just physical objects and take advantage, it just happens :/
    Yeah that's the thing, I just have an 'old head on young shoulders' apparently, I just go for who I like, they just usually happen to be a bit older. You do have to be careful of that, but you get idiots in all age groups, one of the things I dislike about a lot of 16 year old lads is that all they want is to rack up their numbers of girls.

Just wondering btw, you're 16, what's your upper age limit then? If you have one
    23 ish, although I don't usually go for that age, I usually go for 18-21.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend's 9 years older than me and I don't find it particularly creepy :p: (I'm just 18, he's nearly 27) I've never fancied any of the boys my age.

I have a friend in a relationship with a guy 20 years older than her, it is a bit weird, but I don't have a problem with it, they both seem pretty happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davezk)
    Most 18 year old girls i've known / met are too immature and annoying... and I'm 23 lol.

I'm pretty sure I won't be interested in one when I'm 28.
    http://api.ning.com/files/7Kd14GGW0Y...Qzn/cosign.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Every girl is different and so is every guy! Like some girls prefer to go out with older guys, some at the same age.. And some who are younger ! If you think a girl aged 18 is going out with a guy who’s 28 is freaky.. Think about how freaky it is to go out with a guy who is like 4 years or more younger then that girl! (trust me I had that experience!) It’s just not right!!! Either way it's just stupid!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    I do think as long as they're both legal there's not an issue. Yeah some of it might be weird but hey whatever floats peoples boats.

Yeah that's the thing, I just have an 'old head on young shoulders' apparently, I just go for who I like, they just usually happen to be a bit older. You do have to be careful of that, but you get idiots in all age groups, one of the things I dislike about a lot of 16 year old lads is that all they want is to rack up their numbers of girls.

Fair enough then, I can understand why you'd be frustrated and mature younger girl. Hai der

personally I think the 2 up 2 down rule's ok (years wise)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davezk)
    Most 18 year old girls i've known / met are too immature and annoying... and I'm 23 lol.

I'm pretty sure I won't be interested in one when I'm 28.
    True. I am 20, and there are many 18 year olds in my course. They make me want to smash my head against a wall sometimes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    If you think all I have to worry about are exams, then you honestly have no idea. And no, I'm not on about the does he like me?! Oh which lipstick tonight?! typical 16 year old dramas. Different people have different problems.
    It seriously can't be that difficult. And anyway everyone knows you're financially well off (or at least your parents are). I'd like to know what could be so hard for a 16 year old. OK, I making the assumption that neither you, your family or friends are terminal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)

Lol you've let all that flattery go to your head. Those older guys tell you exactly what you want to hear, how mature you are, how "I just have an 'old head on young shoulders' apparently", how you're so different to other girls.

You WILL look back and laugh at yourself for saying "I'm so mature and grown up at 16" even though you refuse to believe us now. Alot can change in merely 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    TSR isn't an accurate representation of the whole population, you know!
    I'd personally be a little weirder out going out with someone that much older than me. There's also the fact that older guys may be more inclined to patronise you etc

ReputationRep:
    You say the girls don't care that the guy's 9-10 years older, you'd be hard pressed to find a guy unhappy with dating a girl 9-10 years younger than them... so assuming the girl is at least 18... what's the problem exactly? they're both happy and that's the most important thing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2012
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.