The Student Room Group

Anyone applying to the diplomatic service?

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if any of you were thinking of applying to the diplomatic civil service scheme this year? If so, I'd love to hear your ideas on what skills and qualifications they really look for.
The only way into the diplomatic service for the forseeable future is through the civil service fast stream, so suggest you check out the fast stream website and the recent fast stream threads here.
Reply 2
Original post by becky_elliott84
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if any of you were thinking of applying to the diplomatic civil service scheme this year? If so, I'd love to hear your ideas on what skills and qualifications they really look for.

1) Good degree in any subject
2) Interest in foreign affairs
3) Knowledge of foreign affairs
4) Fluent in one other language To stand a realistic chance
5) Very gregarious and good interpersonal skills
6) Good at persuading people to do things they wouldn't normally do
7) Be prepared to live abroad for 3-4 years at a time in a country not necessarily of your choice
Reply 3
Original post by Don John
1) Good degree in any subject
2) Interest in foreign affairs
3) Knowledge of foreign affairs
4) Fluent in one other language To stand a realistic chance
5) Very gregarious and good interpersonal skills
6) Good at persuading people to do things they wouldn't normally do
7) Be prepared to live abroad for 3-4 years at a time in a country not necessarily of your choice

Of the above list:

- being fluent in one other language is not necessary: the FCO will give you any language training you need it;
- while an interest/some knowledge in foreign affairs is useful, so is some experience of foreign cultures; and
- you don't need to be gregarious: there are all sorts of individuals who work for the FCO though good interpersonal skills do help :smile:
Reply 4
Hi Guys,

what is the actual application process like for FCO?

1. Online tests?

what is after that?
Original post by Riz_K
Hi Guys,

what is the actual application process like for FCO?

1. Online tests?

what is after that?

E-tray tests, Assessment centres, interviews etc.. the usual suspects.
Reply 6
Original post by beefmaster
E-tray tests, Assessment centres, interviews etc.. the usual suspects.

Ditto - as laid out here

Worth noting that the DS Final Selection Board also involves roleplays using professional actors...
Is a history degree from a top 5 university good enough for the FCO?
Reply 8
Original post by Alex-jc123
Is a history degree from a top 5 university good enough for the FCO?

Not if it's a 2:2 or lower
Original post by Planar

OK, that is reasonable. If I get rejected from the BAR then I am likely going to apply to the FCO.
Reply 10
Original post by Planar

A 2:2 degree or higher from any university entitles you to apply for the Fast stream (including the FCO/Diplomatic Service)
Reply 11
OK, that is reasonable. If I get rejected from the BAR then I am likely going to apply to the FCO.

I'm not a lawyer but you might find the BAR easier/less competitive to get into than the FCO..
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by gt94sss2
I'm not a lawyer but you might find the BAR easier/less competitive to get into than the FCO..

The FCO is that hard to get into?!
The FCO is that hard to get into?!

yes...I met a guy in Cairo working for the FCO and in his intake there were something like 27 or 28 people. He passed the faststream about 3 or 4 years ago I can't remember.
Original post by beefmaster
yes...I met a guy in Cairo working for the FCO and in his intake there were something like 27 or 28 people. He passed the faststream about 3 or 4 years ago I can't remember.

Oh, I see. The BAR alleges that roughly 60 people apply per place - and I thought this was competitive!
In 2010 they took about 16 people into the FCO.
Reply 16
The University of Kent claim to be the only non-red brick institution to have sent (two, so far) students into the FCO.
Reply 17
Original post by Don John
The University of Kent claim to be the only non-red brick institution to have sent (two, so far) students into the FCO.

Depends how you define red brick institution but that claim is incorrect.
Reply 18
A 2:2 degree or higher from any university entitles you to apply for the Fast stream (including the FCO/Diplomatic Service)

These statements seem to contradict each other. A 2:2 entry requirement but its harder to get into than the BAR (2:1 requirement)?
Reply 19
Original post by Daui
These statements seem to contradict each other. A 2:2 entry requirement but its harder to get into than the BAR (2:1 requirement)?

Have you considered the ratio of applicants to places?

A quick google shows me that if one is talking about the Bar Professional Training Course then that page states that in 2008/9 only 2,540 students applied and all you needed was a 2:2 though they were thinking of raising it to a 2:1

So I stick by my statement - in fact based on the stats in that page, the BAR is much easier to get into then I would have thought - and thus much easier than the FCO/Diplomatic Service as part of the Fast Stream

Edit: For comparison, the 2008 Fast Stream report stated that the "Ratio of Applications to Vacancies" for the Diplomatic Service was 74.2 while in 2010 that figure is reported as 158 (partly as they reduced the numbers they take in)
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending