Turn on thread page Beta

Do you expect to crash? watch

ReputationRep:
    Following on from a comment made in another thread, it seems that there is an expectation that new drivers will be involved in some kind of accident within a relatively short period after passing their test. Is this really accurate? Do you actually expect to have an accident?

In addition, if you don't have an accident whilst learning to drive, what is it that changes so that when you have passed your test, you do have an accident?

I would be interested in your opinions.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't expecting to crash personally because i thought i was a riding god back in my youth(about 1.5 years ago)...

I did crash though but am not expecting to crash again...

On the motorbikes its more when a car will eventually pull out on you or not see you and just drive into you more than expecting us to just crash...

And we have to work our way up from small powered bikes to medium restriction for 2 years before unlimited power unlike car drivers...

ReputationRep:
    I didn't 'expect' to, although i knew it was quite possible, based mostly on things i'd heard. I didn't have a bad crash, although i did get a bit close with a wall which left a nice dent on my wheel hub, and i wasn't particularly surprised!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't expect to crash, but I crashed 2 months after passing.

Now I have been driving for 14 months and since I crashed it has made me far more aware of what is going on and what to expect. I don't drive around like a nervous wreck, though I expect a potential accident at anytime now, I just need to react in time / concentrate!.The crash has made me more confident and aware instead of lowering my confidence.

ReputationRep:
    Can't say i'm expecting it. However, there are that many idiots on the road, at some point, something is bound to go wrong.

I thought the statistic was 1 in 5 new drivers have a crash in their first year?

I've been driving a little over two years now and haven't had an accident. That being said, it doesn't have to me that causes it, so I'm aware that I could be involved in one whenever I'm out on the roads. It's not a worry I have though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    I thought the statistic was 1 in 5 new drivers have a crash in their first year?

I've been driving a little over two years now and haven't had an accident. That being said, it doesn't have to me that causes it, so I'm aware that I could be involved in one whenever I'm out on the roads. It's not a worry I have though.

Sounds about right. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if the statistic is wildly out.

Have been driving for 8 years and never hit anything accidentally. I've hit a fair few things deliberately, mind, but that's another thread...

ReputationRep:
    I didn't 'expect' to, though I accepted it was perfectly possible. Some chap in Australia drove into us, but that was because he was over the DD limit and had decided red lights were optional. Police arrested him and found in my favour. Other than that, nothing in five years.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't expect to, but the likelihood is pretty high.

I think when you are a new driver and things are not 'fluid' you are concentrating too much on what you are doing and not taking in things that are around you. Hence, the higher likelihood of crashing within the first 2 years. Once you have been driving for a few years, everything becomes more natural and you take more in as you are driving along so it goes down to the roll of the dice more.

Certainly I am a much better driver 6 years on, I may have bad habits and I doubt I would pass my test now, but I am still a better driver than someone who just passed and is new to driving.

ReputationRep:
    I had the fear of god struck in to me by my instructor (who happened to be an ex-police driver) so perhaps he felt he had good reason to do so, yet here I am almost a year later and I've had no contact at all with any other car.. the worst has been an incident with a particularly vicious hedge which scratched my poor little rear bumper.

Overconfidence might be the problem, perhaps being taught that I should think that everyone is out to kill me actually kept me safe, despite being told all these horror stories of young drivers crashing. I can't knock his teaching methods, and as he is a petrolhead I learnt in a 150bhp Fiesta ST so it better prepared me for driving nippier cars- the only downside of this is that I can't tolerate driving slow cars now, such as a typical 1.2 Corsa etc.

ReputationRep:
    It's normal to crash at least once. Any body saying it's not is lying. What about icy roads? You could easily slip in to a ditch..it's just normal.

ReputationRep:
    After I passed my examiner told me that 50% of new drivers crashed within their first 6 months. I thought that sounded pretty high, but that's what he said!
    Haven't crashed after a year though so it's all good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma-Ashley)
    Following on from a comment made in another thread, it seems that there is an expectation that new drivers will be involved in some kind of accident within a relatively short period after passing their test. Is this really accurate? Do you actually expect to have an accident?

In addition, if you don't have an accident whilst learning to drive, what is it that changes so that when you have passed your test, you do have an accident?

Thanks
    Yeah I'm expecting to crash, the majority of people I know who've had years of experience driving said they crashed within the first 18 months of learning to drive. I passed a week ago, so far so good!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't expect to crash before I passed. I didn't expect to crash when I was first on the road. But I look back on the inexperienced things I did just after passing (stalling in box junctions, freaking out in traffic, etc) and think jeez, I can't believe I didn't crash.

So I think based on that I will perpetuate this thing to new drivers that they will probably crash.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Emma-Ashley)

Thanks
    I haven't had an accident so far in the year that ive been passed my test. I dont really expect to crash. I know it could happen, but i dont really go around expecting it to happen and i dont go around taking unnecessary risks or anything when driving.

ReputationRep:
    Of course I didn't expect it. :lolwut: Honestly anyone who goes out on the road expecting to crash would have to be an irresponsible moron.

ReputationRep:
    I kind of was expecting to crash, they are the stories that you hear about...so and so passing their test and writing off their mum's car the next week etc. But so far I've been alright. It's more than just down to you though, you have to be very aware of other cars and vans, especially taxi drivers - they are just crazy :/

(Original post by Blueflare)
    Of course I didn't expect it. :lolwut: Honestly anyone who goes out on the road expecting to crash would have to be an irresponsible moron.
    I think you're taking the word 'expect' too literally. Read the first sentences of the OP and you'll see what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    I haven't had an accident so far in the year that ive been passed my test. I dont really expect to crash. I know it could happen, but i dont really go around expecting it to happen and i dont go around taking unnecessary risks or anything when driving.

Lol I knew I'd find you on here!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. Let us see. I got my provisional almost 2 years ago, and my full license just under a year after that. Managed to avoid almost all accidents, except during the snow. I live in the mountains, and loads of people were going up to play in the snow. I was driving along in my dad's discovery (he was actually in the car), and some group of students came waaay too fast towards us, tried to hit the brakes, and all you could see was their wheels lock. I, unfortunately, had to pull right over to the left of the road, which sadly was a steep slope, and resulted in the car sliding down sideways a couple of metres, but the other car just about missed us. Thankfully, we dug it out in not too much time, and my dad actually said I did the right thing, which is unusual :rolleyes:

_Kar.

Oh, and have done the usual stoopid things, like reversing a little into hedges.

PS: A guy in my year actually got stopped for drunk/high driving the week after he got his full license, and the guards found weed in his car. Unfortunately, he was still underage at the time, so couldn't be breathilysed on the spot for some reason, so was brought back to the station. By the time his parents arrived, he had sobered up. Got away with it. :eek:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.