Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The line l-one has the vector equation
    r=11i+5j+6k+ T(4i+2j+4k)
    The line l-two has the vector equation
    r=24i+4j+13k+S(7i+j+5k)

Given that theta is the acute angle between l-one and l-two, find the value of costheta

So I know Im supposed to use costheta=a.b/(|a||b|)

But why is it that we use the direction vector part of both lines? Can someone explain in detail?

ReputationRep:
    well the angle between two lines doesnt depend on where they are in space, it depends on where each line is pointing. this is what the direction vector tells you..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK92)
    well the angle between two lines doesnt depend on where they are in space, it depends on where each line is pointing. this is what the direction vector tells you..
    Im finding it difficult to visualise the direction vectors of the line equations meeting ...and what about the scaling factor...?
    Should i just assume they meet since the question says so?

ReputationRep:
    It is possible for the two lines to be skew, not to interesct, if you want to prove they intersect you could solve them as 3 simultaneous equations. Or its probably easier to assume they intersect given that the question requires them to. Just solve using the formula that you gave...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confuzzled92)
    Im finding it difficult to visualise the direction vectors of the line equations meeting ...and what about the scaling factor...?
    Should i just assume they meet since the question says so?
    This is hard to explain without a moving diagram/model but essentially, direction vectors are free to move around in vector space. They don't need to meet to have an angle between them, but they do need to be non-parallel.

Do you have any straws or sticks etc. at home? If so, grab a pair of them and leave one on a surface and hold the other one in the air so they are not touching and they are non-parallel. Then look down on them from above. Notice that, no matter how much you move them (without rotating them), the angle between them remains the same.

The scaling factor is used to map to a particular point on the line but it doesn't affect the angle between them. If you don't believe me, get another straw and add it to the end of one of the other two (parallel to it) that you already had. You'll see that the angle stays the same.

ReputationRep:
    thanks! That was a great explanation.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 26, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.