Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What is the most politically correct thing you've ever heard of? (PC gone mad!) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    the worst one i came across, my partners family used to run pubs on behalf of breweries. Christmas of 2003 they had a letter come through the door from the local council asking them not to put up Christmas decorations in case it offends those who dont celebrate Christmas.

Needless to say the Christmas lights were even brighter than usual that year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    Political correctness has not "gone mad" - much of it is urban legend. I.e. The story about the person told to take their st Georges cross flag down for the world cup because it offended muslims NEVER ACTUALLY HAPPENED. Its a myth. Blackboards are called chalkboards to differentiate them from whiteboards - no school uses blackboards these days the dust is harmful to kids, its got nothing to do with black kids.

Its all a myth. The only people who get upset are racists and bigots. Its good that we are taking steps against exclusive language and the uk is a much nicer place to live now that its unacceptable to call people pakis and ******* in the street or make jokes about the disabled.(Interesting tsr censors the n word but not "paki"!)

Frankly I'm shocked its a sociology student doing such a stupid survey. You should know better.
    urm since when is it unnacceptable to make jokes about disabled? Comedians have been doing it for years and arnt stopping as far as im aware

ReputationRep:
    I went into Ainsley's. They'd changed all gingerbread men to gingerbread people. Seriously

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amsie/)
    Some parts are OTT, like blackboard, where on earth did that come from?
    & having to take this sign out wherever there's any spillages:

Even if it's the size of a pea ffs :facepalm:
    In terms of H&S a smaller spillage is actually a bigger issue. You can't notice it as easily and therefore unlikely to take precautionary measures, liquid the size of the pea can reduce the grip on the sole of your shoes to an extent where it is in fact possible to trip over and no one likes tripping over, least of all the stores who then get sued. The real question is why those things are brought out when half the aisle is covered in a horrendous mixture of glass, red wine, sand and corks. Do they really expect customers not to notice that ****?

ReputationRep:
    Most "PC" things you read about are complete bull**** made up by the tabloid press. Either that or its just racists complaining about not being allowed to say "filthy paki".

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    As much as i realise much of the urban myths regarding this are untrue (the flag during the world cup etc) but my mum used to work for the LA - and they were told to stop using the words 'brain storm' and advised to use 'thought shower' or 'idea party'!!!

ReputationRep:
    Once heard about that song, What Shall We Do With a Drunken Sailor, being changed to be more PC. Now it is grumpy pirate instead. Not sure on the legitimacy of this though. Article on it here http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle2189171.ece

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Great Lord Xenu)
    Why do so many people confuse political correctness and health and safety? :facepalm:

And no, political correctness hasn't gone mad. It's far better than racism and prejudice.
    (Original post by callum9999)
    That isn't "political correctness" - it's health and safety to prevent someone falling over, nothing to do with "being correct".

A lot of the stories on here aren't political correctness, and I'd be shocked if most of them aren't just made up. I've never heard of blackboard, baa baa black sheep, ginger bread men, manhole covers etc. being banned. And a search for those terms merely finds stories about them - not actually descriptions on where they have been banned.
    OP mentioned health & safety, that was just about the only thing that got on my nerves :dontknow: & yes, I am a ware that that's not political correctness thx.
    (Original post by Socio__Lizzy)
    I'm doing a survey for my sociology project about political correctness and whether it is imagined and stoked by the tabloids or actually true. Has Pc gone mad or have we? Do you think PC and the Elf 'n Safety brigade have ruined our British humour? Does it offend you?

Scandalous stuff like the Winter Festival would be great!

ReputationRep:
    I got invited to my CLP's "Winter Party" last year, usually I can accept anything but even that sounded contrived to me..

ReputationRep:
    Sir Trevor McDonald

ReputationRep:
    Waitperson! Seriously what's up with that?

Meh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    In terms of H&S a smaller spillage is actually a bigger issue. You can't notice it as easily and therefore unlikely to take precautionary measures, liquid the size of the pea can reduce the grip on the sole of your shoes to an extent where it is in fact possible to trip over and no one likes tripping over, least of all the stores who then get sued. The real question is why those things are brought out when half the aisle is covered in a horrendous mixture of glass, red wine, sand and corks. Do they really expect customers not to notice that ****?
    Haha, I had to take the sign out at work because a customer had spilt some body scrub, it basically just looked like a tiny splodge of jam & the security guy had to stand there making sure no one tripped over it while I got some tissue to wipe it. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Political correctness has not "gone mad" - much of it is urban legend. I.e. The story about the person told to take their st Georges cross flag down for the world cup because it offended muslims NEVER ACTUALLY HAPPENED. Its a myth. Blackboards are called chalkboards to differentiate them from whiteboards - no school uses blackboards these days the dust is harmful to kids, its got nothing to do with black kids.

Its all a myth. The only people who get upset are racists and bigots. Its good that we are taking steps against exclusive language and the uk is a much nicer place to live now that its unacceptable to call people pakis and ******* in the street or make jokes about the disabled.
    (Interesting tsr censors the n word but not "paki"!)

Frankly I'm shocked its a sociology student doing such a stupid survey. You should know better.
    Ok, deny such occurences all you want, but it's silly to keep replacing traditional words with euphemisms and neutral phrases just to avoid offending people. It does go over the top. It's cultural marxism and the imposition of newspeak over an entire culture.

What do you think is the objective of sociology, cultural treason? Perhaps you should learn the meaning of freedom of thought. OP can research whatever the **** they want. And this is a highly valid research topic. Political correctness seems to have gone too far - you're making a massive generalisation of the people who complain about political correctness, and isn't that bad practice for a social scientist?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in what could be considered an interracial relationship and we're always taking the piss out of each other. :awesome: I think an example of PC gone mad would be if your partner can't take a non-PC joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Meh)
    Waitperson! Seriously what's up with that?

Meh
    wait what?
    whats wrong with waiter/tress?
    wiminz get their own special title that men can't have.....

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't allowed to buy an Indian because apparently it's now illegal for a white man to do so.

PC gone ****ing mad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiZZeeKiD)
    Blackboards in school being renamed "Chalkboards" to avoid offending black people. Although "Whiteboard", remains untouched.

Manhole covers being renamed "Personnel Access Units" to avoid offending women.

A job application being rejected because the person described themself as "reliable" and "hard-working", the job centre said it could be offensive to unreliable people.
    Really?! Wow. That's probably more offensive as it implies black people are the same as blackboards! How ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukr-nffc)
    As much as i realise much of the urban myths regarding this are untrue (the flag during the world cup etc) but my mum used to work for the LA - and they were told to stop using the words 'brain storm' and advised to use 'thought shower' or 'idea party'!!!
    Idea party :awesome:

Yeah, all that hype about how it was going to be illegal to wear an England shirt in London during the World Cup, so consequently all the geniuses went out a bought a nice England shirt to wear to "prove their point".....:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:

Its all a myth. The only people who get upset are racists and bigots. Its good that we are taking steps against exclusive language and the uk is a much nicer place to live now that its unacceptable to call people pakis and ******* in the street or make jokes about the disabled.
    (Interesting tsr censors the n word but not "paki"!)

did you watch that bbc documentary about the little people? throughout the entire program whenever they were outside they'd always get comments shouted at them. these people would never shout racial insults to strangers but they'd happily insult vertically challenged individuals.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.