Turn on thread page Beta

A few questions from a beginner... watch

ReputationRep:
    ** TLDR at the bottom **

I've made a commitment to getting fit (no specific timeframe). I did alot of reading yesterday of various stickies but I'm still a bit confused (especially re. diet). I just wanted some advice on how to proceed.

To give you a brief assessment of my current level of fitness: I am not horridly obese but I am overweight according to my BMI. To be frank, I have a pot belly, moobs, and a moderately fat arse (apologies for the images this might bring up). I would say I am unfit. I can jog for about 20 minutes but I will be exhausted and suffering from stitches) by the end of this.

Here are my goals: Lose excess fat around my stomach and chest (yes, I know you can't lose fat in specific parts of your body, these are just my overarching goals). Bulk up slightly (for lack of technical know-how, I want defined abs, bigger arms and genuine extra arm strength (i.e. not just for show -- if that makes sense).

I started about two weeks ago and so far I have made two changes:

1. Waking up 5.30 -> get to uni -> run around Central London
    2. Avoiding what seem (to me) as obviously unhealthy things, started paying attention to GDA for what I eat.

I've pretty much cut out everything unhealthy I was eating before, and I am basically living off sandwiches and salads at the moment (I am not deluding myself that these are necessarily healthy, but its alot better than what I was eating before). I am having no immediate problems with regards to keeping up the diet change (my self-control when it comes to food is surprisingly good) so I am ready any change, no matter how radical, within budgetary requirements.

In terms of the exercise, I get a real buzz out of running, especially discovering new routes around Central London and I would really like to continue it if at all possible. What I'm worried about is whether it is counterproductive to my goal of bulking up (i.e. in terms of exhausting myself, or somehow diminishing my ability to gain muscle).

** TLDR: The Questions **

• Would a high protein high calorie diet (e.g. the RFU nutritional plan) be appropriate for slight bulking up? If not, what would you reccommend?
    • Is it appropriate to use protein shakes for these purposes?
    • If so would something like Myprotein's Hurricane XS be sufficient? If I am talking **** please educate me.
    • What would you estimate the cost at of an appropriate diet + protein shakes, per month?
    • Is running counterproductive to working out? Is it advisable for a beginner to do both in the same day?
    • I have a 20kg set of York dumbbell Weights at home (metal, spin-lock) would I be fine starting off with these or should I really be joining a gym with a free weights area?

I may have other questions but those are the immediate ones. Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRHoward)

• Would a high protein high calorie diet (e.g. the RFU nutritional plan) be appropriate for slight bulking up? If not, what would you reccommend? Yes the RFU nutritional plan is excellent
    • Is it appropriate to use protein shakes for these purposes? Yes, but try to get as much as you can from food
    • If so would something like Myprotein's Hurricane XS be sufficient? If I am talking **** please educate me. Use Impact whey protein, much cheaper and does what you need it to
    • What would you estimate the cost at of an appropriate diet + protein shakes, per month?
    • Is running counterproductive to working out? Is it advisable for a beginner to do both in the same day? seperate days, don't do steady state do HIIT
    • I have a 20kg set of York dumbbell Weights at home (metal, spin-lock) would I be fine starting off with these or should I really be joining a gym with a free weights area? join a gym, you need a barbell tbh

I may have other questions but those are the immediate ones. Thanks in advance.
    qwerty

ReputationRep:
    What A to the Tizzle said

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks for the response, will get started tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    * Would a high protein high calorie diet (e.g. the RFU nutritional plan) be appropriate for slight bulking up? If not, what would you reccommend? From what i see yes.
    * Is it appropriate to use protein shakes for these purposes? Yes, however, they are called supps for a reason, your diet should be where you get your nutritonal needs, shakes are to help you get enough.
    * If so would something like Myprotein's Hurricane XS be sufficient? If I am talking **** please educate me.not really a protein shake, its an all in one meaning carbs,protein,creatine all in one, if your a beginner start with just a protein shake, i.e My Protein impact whey, or whey isolate (isolate if you are lactose intolerant or if the other one gives you any problems due to the lactose).
    * What would you estimate the cost at of an appropriate diet + protein shakes, per month? Impact whey is around £15 a kg which should last 3-4 weeks. I don't buy my food (mummy does) but i don't think it makes a great impact on the budget, sorry but i can't give u a estimate.
    * Is running counterproductive to working out? Is it advisable for a beginner to do both in the same day?Yes and no, if you really want to get big don't bother i say, but it is useful to do some sort of fitness training, since it will help you not get out of breath for longer when lifting weights, if you do want to do it then don't do it on the same day.
    * I have a 20kg set of York dumbbell Weights at home (metal, spin-lock) would I be fine starting off with these or should I really be joining a gym with a free weights area? gym i say, since i has practically everything you need including benches. It also gives proper purpose to exercising meaning you won't slack if you go to the gym.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.