Applying to UK Uni with CIE A levels and EU passport Watch

vierstein
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi, I'm looking for some help/information about applying to Universities in the United Kingdom with Cambridge International Examination A levels.

I'm In New Zealand at the moment doing my A levels. the school year here finishes at the end of the year (I've just finished my AS year), next year I'll be doing A levels, and then I'm hoping to go to the UK to University. Could I just come there and apply to Universities in the half year gap that I'd have between the two academic years?
Now I've got a EU (German) passport , does that mean I'm still an international student, do i get any benefits?

Also how many A levels do you need? My school recommends students to do 2 A2's and 2 AS's in their final year, though some people do all four subjects A2's. I signed up to do 3A2's and 1 AS next year, and I've already done my Maths A level.
I'm thinking of applying to commerce, should I have a Business Studies A level?

Thanks for any help.
-V
Iscariot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I did CIE A-levels and just did 3 straight A-levels, and to be honest I don't think I could have done another AS on top of it unless I did it in a pointless, easy subject.
santogold
Badges: 14
Report 13 years ago
If you have lived outside of the EU/EEA for more than 3 years, you are classified as an international student. However, if the reason for the stay outside was full-time education (in other words, if you have lived in Germany or the EU/EEA before) there may be a way around it.
Contact the DFES or the universities !
vierstein
Rep:
?
OK thanks for your help I looked at the DFES website and couldn't find what I needed or any contact addresses, but I'll take a closer look tomorow.
I did live in Germany before I came to new zealand 7 years ago so hopefully that workaround will work.

Now another thing. Will Universities look favourably on the fact that I did my Maths A level a year early? Could that count as my third? Or do they all have to be done in the same year? Would I be completely nuts to apply to a Uni with 5 CIE A-levels, If i did that and got B-C average would I have a shot at Oxbridge? Will I have a shot at Oxbridge with four A-levels B average?

thanks all of you for your help.
-V
santogold
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by vierstein)
OK thanks for your help I looked at the DFES website and couldn't find what I needed or any contact addresses, but I'll take a closer look tomorow.
I did live in Germany before I came to new zealand 7 years ago so hopefully that workaround will work.

Now another thing. Will Universities look favourably on the fact that I did my Maths A level a year early? Could that count as my third? Or do they all have to be done in the same year? Would I be completely nuts to apply to a Uni with 5 CIE A-levels, If i did that and got B-C average would I have a shot at Oxbridge? Will I have a shot at Oxbridge with four A-levels B average?

thanks all of you for your help.
-V
Seven years is a long time, I think you will be classed as an international student.

If you have the Maths A level, it will count as your third, as it is your third. I don't think they care that you did it a year early, but you certainly don't have to do them all in the same year.
Normally people apply to Oxbridge with AAA/AAB. I don't know what you want to apply for, but it is best to check with the uni's requirement and usual offers before applying.
And no, I would not apply with 5 A--Levels, that sounds really nuts.
vierstein
Rep:
?
Ok, i checked the University of Cambridge website and it says: "If you are a national of a European Union country, then for fees status you are usually treated on exactly the same basis as UK (home) students". Is that 'Usually', as in except if you haven't been living there recently?
There's an email address there, I think I'll just email them.
It also says that students apply with either 3 or 4 A levels, So i should be ok with 4.
Arminius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i'm guessing the fact your not resident in an eu country may stop you getting home level fees.

But, surely you will have 9 months between the end of your a2's and entering uk uni.

Would if be possible to "live" in germany for a enough months in order to become an eu resident and therefore get eu fees.

Its a random idea, but i'm wondering if you could. Because it would save you alot of money.
vierstein
Rep:
?
well, it's a possibility but I don't think there would be any official recognition of being a resident, because as a national i can be resident there at any time by just going there. I could also live in the UK for that interacademium (sic) period, but again, (as an EU passport holder) do I need to apply for residency, if i do, or even just can, how long until i get permanent residency? it must be a number of years at least.

or even if i just go on a short visit to Germany get a stamp in my passport (you do get that at the airport don't you?), then go to the UK from there so that i can say my (or if they check my passport) last location before coming to the UK was a EU country of which i hold a passport.

but if they do check your residency status I'm sure they would check more than just the most recent. I've seen it on forms here, they say: 'If you have moved house in the last X years please put the approximate date(s) of the move(s) and the previous address('s)' Well the wording is far more articulate and legal, but something like that. Has anyone seen something like this on a Uni application form.
kriztinae
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Zakatu)
i'm guessing the fact your not resident in an eu country may stop you getting home level fees.

But, surely you will have 9 months between the end of your a2's and entering uk uni.

Would if be possible to "live" in germany for a enough months in order to become an eu resident and therefore get eu fees.

Its a random idea, but i'm wondering if you could. Because it would save you alot of money.
you need to be living in an EU country for at least 3 years before starting uni to qualify for home status
i know one guy who managed to get about it, he lived in cyprus for 2 years but was english and before that lived in thailand etc. he said he had no choice but to live in thailand cos his parents lived there and his grandparents were unable/unhealthy to look after him while he was at school.
there are always means, try everything ucan

about CIE exams, they are classed as normal exams i think, i had one CIE and two edexcel and my uni didnt give any consideration to that, (unfair but so is life)
also to the fact that IGCSE's are harder than GCSE's, uni didnt care.
tangsiuje
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by vierstein)
well, it's a possibility but I don't think there would be any official recognition of being a resident, because as a national i can be resident there at any time by just going there. I could also live in the UK for that interacademium (sic) period, but again, (as an EU passport holder) do I need to apply for residency, if i do, or even just can, how long until i get permanent residency? it must be a number of years at least.

or even if i just go on a short visit to Germany get a stamp in my passport (you do get that at the airport don't you?), then go to the UK from there so that i can say my (or if they check my passport) last location before coming to the UK was a EU country of which i hold a passport.

but if they do check your residency status I'm sure they would check more than just the most recent. I've seen it on forms here, they say: 'If you have moved house in the last X years please put the approximate date(s) of the move(s) and the previous address('s)' Well the wording is far more articulate and legal, but something like that. Has anyone seen something like this on a Uni application form.
They don't check it. You are supposed to declare it, on a form to the dfes eu team. If you provide false information, I guess it's up to you, but you could probably be prosecuted for it.

As someone mentioned above, the only thing that would give you EU status would be if you could prove that your residence in New Zealand was (1) only temporary, or (2) that you had to move there due to your parents' job requirements. (To me, the latter sounds quite slippery: I dunno how they'll check that one.)
vierstein
Rep:
?
OK, thanks, that makes it pretty clear that I won't be able to get 'home' fees which pretty much means I wont be able to start studying in the UK.

I'll have to look at some German Universities, and their international fee status, i can't believe that they would refuse me home fee status, although I wouldn't have thought that a UK national would have to pay international fees if they hadn't been in the UK for a while either.

Maybe then also I'll get on some sort of exchange program and do part of my course in the UK.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (295)
26.06%
Yes - they're famous (288)
25.44%
No I don't (549)
48.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed