This discussion is closed.
DoctorNO
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
is it not possible for people to accept that the country is in dispute as to how orginally owned it, whatever that means and try and deal with the situation that we have at the present
I dont understand. Can you please rephrase this?
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gemgems89)
Israel a rich country? Ha, that's why employees earn very little per week. The economy is not very good in Israel. How the hell can you say Israel is rich?!
Geez, stop the research on google and go and use your own arguments, or even better, go there and see! I've been, I know! - You havn't!
Israel's economy is virtually non-existant. The main (only, at one point) source of income for the country was the donations of Jews living in America, who sought to maintain the Homeland.
material breach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Israel a rich country? Ha, that's why employees earn very little per week. The economy is not very good in Israel. How the hell can you say Israel is rich?!
Geez, stop the research on google and go and use your own arguments, or even better, go there and see! I've been, I know! - You havn't!
why didnt you look at the gurdain article he gave a link to ages ago, or the point i made earlier average income in isreal is $17000 in palestine it is $900

so i think you can clearly see in comparison that israel is rich
gemgems89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Eternal Idol)
That depends if you compare Israel to Japan or to Nigeria.
If you compare the wages of Israeli people and Palestinean people you will see that the first ones are really really higher.
So Israel is better off than Palestine, but it doesn't mean they are rich! They are both struggling with money! Palestine gets money from their "friendly countries" and believe me there's many of them, and Israel gets off the U.S, and only the U.S.

(Original post by Mr White)
Israel's economy is virtually non-existant. The main (only, at one point) source of income for the country was the donations of Jews living in America, who sought to maintain the Homeland.
Exactly, which is why Israel is certainly not rich.
MC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
WHY IS THIS THREAD STILL ALIVE?
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
So Israel is better off than Palestine, but it doesn't mean they are rich! They are both struggling with money! Palestine gets money from their "friendly countries" and believe me there's many of them, and Israel gets off the U.S, and only the U.S.

17.000$ ... take a look at U.K. figures, translate that to Dollars and tell me.
Mr White
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Richer than most arab states that aren't oil-rich. Still, the Zionist's right to be there is far more significant than the Palestinian's.
gemgems89
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mad Caddie)
Because it is actually relevant and interesting.
MC
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Because it is actually relevant and interesting.
OK.
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by DoctorNO)
I dont understand. Can you please rephrase this?
sure what i trying to say is land is obviously a major point as to who owned it. however since both palestinians and isrealis need somewhere to live so its surely better to focus on the situation we find our selves rather than what historically is whose. i realise who orginally owns what is important but the is enought to debate without going back to the dawn of civilisation to decide who is right since there is no definate answer
DoctorNO
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Mad Caddie)
Because there is an issue to talk about?
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Israel is developed.
Palestine isn't.

Right?
MC
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by DoctorNO)
Because there is an issue to talk about?
I agree very much. Sort out the Israeli's and save the Palestinian's. Simple. The catch is its never going to happen.
DoctorNO
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
sure what i trying to say is land is obviously a major point as to who owned it. however since both palestinians and isrealis need somewhere to live so its surely better to focus on the situation we find our selves rather than what historically is whose. i realise who orginally owns what is important but the is enought to debate without going back to the dawn of civilisation to decide who is right since there is no definate answer
I agree then. That is why the Palestinians also has a claim to that land.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I agree totally on that.

The whole issue of who rightfully owns the land is so complex that we should just work for peace, and then decide who deserves what land once the fighting has totally stopped.
gemgems89
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
I agree totally on that.

The whole issue of who rightfully owns the land is so complex that we should just work for peace, and then decide who deserves what land once the fighting has totally stopped.
Yes, try telling them that.
adelz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Whatever it was? That proves you are not sure what you are talking about. Before we can believe you can you please show us a news item or authoritative article that “all the terrororist organizations agreed on a ceasefire” and that they ceased all hostilities until Israel broke the ceasefire by assassinating any of their members.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040126/wl_nm/mideast_hamas_dc_3
and
http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Sto...986666,00.html

From that article I have a lil quote for Vienna too : "But the Palestinian prime minister, Mahmoud Abbas, has said he will not use force against the armed groups, for fear of sparking a civil war."

Also, the person who brokered the ceasefire was an imprisoned "terrorist" so. .. we can see what exactly they are fighting for - they want peace in the end but on palestinian terms.

Agreed. But you cant deny the fact that Arafat WAS a terrorist who WAS not interested with peace. Perhaps he had reformed or perhaps he was just putting on a false face.

Arafat the founder of the PFLP which was then deemed a terrorist organisation - it was a party that wanted to create a palestinian state basically. And if Arafat was a terrrorist then Sharon is an indicted wars criminal and a member of the IDF who disobeyed orders in the 70's and continued his assault into egypt ... among other of his irregularities, some of which are surfacing in the news currently

And before the that the land undoubtedly belonged to the Jews who were the descendants of the hebrews and the canaanites (including the philistines). Much of the loss of Palestinian land can be blamed on the Arabs who encouraged them to abandon their lands while they try driving the jews into the seas (1947).

But I agree that what they ask for now is not too much to ask for compared what they used to hold.

What Im saying is that before that was 3000 years ago - that cant be a real argument as .. it was ages ago and at that time the world was totally different- if we base it on such historical events, so long ago then half the world should belong to italy as the romans took it over .. you get what I mean . What I mean is that most recently the Jews took over Palestine - and thats why there is a war. No one encourages palestinians to leave their homes - there was a war and lots of people immigated and left into other arab states and refugee camps. Jews took over palestinian land and they were displaced

My friend the Philistines have been ASSIMILATED with the Jews.
  • http://www.ancientroute.com/empire/philistia.htm
    After the Jews returned from exile, the Hebrews and Philistines were more friendly, as both were reduced in numbers. Marriages between the two peoples abated the old hatreds, and Philistia was absorbed into the neighboring countries. Much later, the Land of the Philistines is again fought over by the Macedonian Greeks. Alexander the Great conquered Philistia, after a siege of Gaza, then his generals fought over Palestine for the next several centuries.

Wrong. In most recent history, 20th century, it was mostly Israeli.

I mean that most recently it belonged to palestinians then was taken over by israelis - which is why there is a war currently. Why should there be a state that belongs to jews ? There is no state where christians or muslims can go and livein just because of their religion ... Thats why israel was created - it was supposed to be the promised land of jews where they go and live.

I agree. But the Israelis wont stop killing them if they wont stop killing the Israelis. All that is needed is just a couple of months of complete peace. Perhaps that Wall might do the trick.

No the wall will just fuel the anger and there will be more killing. Those couple of months were a hair away when the "terrorist" organisations declared a ceasefire, but unfortunately israel continued. That in my opinion was the closest ever that they got to a potential peace deal. It was historical moment for Palestine that they declared a ceasefire.

Youll have to thank the Bus bombers for that.
Ummm .. I dont think the bus bombers have anything to do with my dad getting interrogated and treated like a criminal - its not a justification.

mobile phones are used to detonate bombs.
lol yeah and .... that doesnt give them the right to confiscate our mobile phones, we are entering palestine, gaza city not israel . Do you get your phone confiscated at Dover or wherever ?!

There are many arab Israelis and they enjoy everything in Israel almost as much as the jews.
They do .. and ?

Nobody can afford to be extremely one-sided on this issue. States for both people. Bombers are more encouraged by international support like some of the posters here.

I agree that no one can afford to be extremely one sided, I think both sides have some fault in the conflict but I think that Israel is definately more to blame, especially as its is the occupying force and it is the more powerful of the two. Bombers cant be "encouraged" they just do it because they feel that they have to ..
gemgems89
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Israel is developed.
Palestine isn't.

Right?
I don't know really. I would assume Palestine is developed, but I wouldn't know.
material breach
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes, try telling them that.
did u actually read the article that adelz posted?
adelz
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I agree totally on that.

Yes I agree too - we really should just work for peace, but you have to understand what happened in order to understand the issue - though I dont think that history so long ago can be used as an argument that the land should go to israel.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (213)
67.83%
No (101)
32.17%

Watched Threads