Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the concept of a wall.

It symbolises restriction, unfriendliness and is crude, in my opinion. They had walls back in ancient times, but they are now historical sites rather than the big concrete things they put in place today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    If I am not mistaken, a survey made by a british news agency about a year ago said more than 60% of the population said suecide bombings were an acceptable way of fighting against the occupation. around 48% also supported the complete destruction of Israel.
    ::shudder:: how awful! i say, let them live in their walled country! someones gotta give in eventually! let it be. stop all this killing and let it be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)

It symbolises restriction, unfriendliness and is crude, in my opinion. They had walls back in ancient times, but they are now historical sites rather than the big concrete things they put in place today.
    i agree fish! but wouldnt u prefer a wall to killings?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweetpeaz)
    I think that is a brilliant idea! Instead of doing all these horrible "an eye for an eye" thing, the israelis should just, be more passive in its attack. but... the wall would be a good idea, however not all palestinians or arabs etc are dangerous to israel.. in which case not allowing them to enter the country would be racist and wrong. there must be a passive solution..... the wall is the only one i can think of. at least then people won't get killed, only racially turned away. which is better?
    Well, currently they allow palestinian foreign workers to cross the border, but after intense security checks. The problem is that the more intense the terrorism gets the more severe means you will have to use to protect yourself from it. I think one very neccessary step would be to redraw the setlements from the westbank and make sure to construct the barrier on Israeli territory. This way it would be far more difficult for the terrorist orginisations to justify the atacks, which woul dalso make it more difficult for them to recruit suecide bombers among the palestinian population. Also, it would increase the international pressure on Arafat and his government. In short I think it would be in Israels best interest to redraw the setlements. The risk is of course that the terrorist orginisations will use it as an example of what they have achieved.

ReputationRep:
    No she doesn't, actually.

Several times I have contradicted her arguments, much to her displeasure. I find it difficult not to disagree with some of the things she says after thinking the situation through.

Nevertheless, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

And i think you need to lighten up...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    And i think you need to lighten up...
    and we think u should button up..

ReputationRep:

Well, the best would of course be if Israelis and Palestinians could live in peace without conflict. Unfortunately there are a significant number of palestinian terrorists who will do their very best to prevent this from happening. As I see it the Israelis can either atack these terrorists, use passive means to defend themselves, or ignore the atacks and hope that they will eventually stop. I doubt ignoring the atacks will be a wise thing to do as it is certain to cost many innocent lives. Also, the military incursions give rise to the violence spiral. Thus the best alternative in my opinion is to use a passive defense, such as the security barrier. Unfortunatley it has been strongly criticised internationally, primarely due to its location. Personally I fond it quite ironic that the wall is criticised as if it was an arsenal of WMDs, whereas the palestinian authorities are barely criticised for not trying to discourage the terrorism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    and we think u should button up..
    Haha, very good.

ReputationRep:
    I think one very neccessary step would be to redraw the setlements from the westbank and make sure to construct the barrier on Israeli territory.
    hmm.. sounds pretty wise to me. i also think that all the israeli fanatics in their settlements should withdraw. israel should try really hard to not do anything to aggrevate the situation, then it would give the palestinians less reason to cry out. having said that, israel is under such scrutiny that i fear there might always be something to fight them against. it would be interesting to see what would happen if they were very careful to do everything by the book...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)
    Haha, very good.
    Vienna and Gemgem

Please just ignore it. With a little bit of luck boreness will drive such people away...

ReputationRep:
    Vienna and Gemgem

Please just ignore it. With a little bit of luck bireness will drive such people away...
    Yes, you're right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweetpeaz)
    hmm.. sounds pretty wise to me. i also think that all the israeli fanatics in their settlements should withdraw. israel should try really hard to not do anything to aggrevate the situation, then it would give the palestinians less reason to cry out. having said that, israel is under such scrutiny that i fear there might always be something to fight them against. it would be interesting to see what would happen if they were very careful to do everything by the book...
    The main danger with redrawing the setlements I think will be what may happen inside Israel. After all, if the Israeli population feel they are being punished when doing nothing wrong, that may show in future elections, and one might end up at square #1...

ReputationRep:
    No she doesn't, actually.

Several times I have contradicted her arguments, much to her displeasure. I find it difficult not to disagree with some of the things she says after thinking the situation through.

Nevertheless, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
    fish, its nice to see that some can hold a civilised conversation, keep it up. incidentally, it seems that perhaps the debate is going in the right direction now the rude few haves seemingly left us.

ReputationRep:
    Vienna and Gemgem

Please just ignore it. With a little bit of luck boreness will drive such people away...
    that seems to have been effective so far.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going now. Bye everyone. xx

Enjoy the debate!

ReputationRep:
    Well, currently they allow palestinian foreign workers to cross the border, but after intense security checks. The problem is that the more intense the terrorism gets the more severe means you will have to use to protect yourself from it. I think one very neccessary step would be to redraw the setlements from the westbank and make sure to construct the barrier on Israeli territory. This way it would be far more difficult for the terrorist orginisations to justify the atacks, which woul dalso make it more difficult for them to recruit suecide bombers among the palestinian population. Also, it would increase the international pressure on Arafat and his government. In short I think it would be in Israels best interest to redraw the setlements. The risk is of course that the terrorist orginisations will use it as an example of what they have achieved.
    Do you realise the implications of constructing barrier between the Palestinian and Israeli territories...it will create more anger on the Palestinian side, especially those opposed to suicide bombing as they depend on commuting to Israel. The humiliation they go through everyday should be stopped...as this incites more hatred.

And what international pressure can be increased on Arafat...the guys has been in house arrest for 3 years! He has no control over anything anymore...

If Israelis interest included an increase of militancy on the Palestinian side, then sure go ahead and redraw the settlements. And how will this be used as an example of what terrorists have achieved?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    fish, its nice to see that some can hold a civilised conversation, keep it up. incidentally, it seems that perhaps the debate is going in the right direction now the rude few haves seemingly left us.
    Ironically enough, this means that I will start to adapt an attitude much more criticall to Sharons policy. I gues I am somehow trying to balance the debate....

ReputationRep:
    The main danger with redrawing the setlements I think will be what may happen inside Israel. After all, if the Israeli population feel they are being punished when doing nothing wrong, that may show in future elections, and one might end up at square #1...
    how depressing. still if the settlement people understood that it was for the good of israel and of everyone ,that they move out, perhaps they could be convinced. its worth a try. it will at least show to the world that israel is trying to make the effort.

ReputationRep:
    Vienna and Gemgem

Im sure i heard Gemgems 'drive away'...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    Do you realise the implications of constructing barrier between the Palestinian and Israeli territories...it will create more anger on the Palestinian side, especially those opposed to suicide bombing as they depend on commuting to Israel. The humiliation they go through everyday should be stopped...as this incites more hatred.

And what international pressure can be increased on Arafat...the guys has been in house arrest for 3 years! He has no control over anything anymore...

If Israelis interest included an increase of militancy on the Palestinian side, then sure go ahead and redraw the settlements. And how will this be used as an example of what terrorists have achieved?
    The main part of the terrorist orginisations promote the complete destruction of Israel. This means that however you twist and turn it. Israel will have to defend themselves somehow if they want to survive. The only two ways which are feasable and available are strict border controlls and military incursions. Personally I think one should try to minimise teh use of military actions, thus border controlls are the only reasonable alternative. I suppose you are not proposing that Israel should simply sit by and watch while terrorist blow up innocent schoolchildren?

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.