Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    Do you realise the implications of constructing barrier between the Palestinian and Israeli territories...it will create more anger on the Palestinian side, especially those opposed to suicide bombing as they depend on commuting to Israel. The humiliation they go through everyday should be stopped...as this incites more hatred.
    but the point is: if there's a wall, the two races won't have any contact. there already is too much hatred which is supplemented by killing. a wall will not decrease the hatred but will decrease the deaths and for this reason alone, i think it is worth it. life is too precious to throw away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweetpeaz)
    how depressing. still if the settlement people understood that it was for the good of israel and of everyone ,that they move out, perhaps they could be convinced. its worth a try. it will at least show to the world that israel is trying to make the effort.
    Well, I think most of the Israelis which live in the mainland of Israel would not hesitate a second if they could chose to remove the setlemenets and get peace in return. The problem is that you have no guarantee that peace would come if Israel withdrew. In fact, teh Israelis have quite solid reasons to suspect that the terrorism would continue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    The main part of the terrorist orginisations promote the complete destruction of Israel. This means that however you twist and turn it. Israel will have to defend themselves somehow if they want to survive. The only two ways which are feasable and available are strict border controlls and military incursions. Personally I think one should try to minimise teh use of military actions, thus border controlls are the only reasonable alternative. I suppose you are not proposing that Israel should simply sit by and watch while terrorist blow up innocent schoolchildren?
    Those are two silly ideas...both those ideas are going to create hatred.

How are terrorist organistions primary aim to promote the destruction of Israel? You really do have little understanding of their dire situation.

ReputationRep:
    but the point is: if there's a wall, the two races won't have any contact. there already is too much hatred which is supplemented by killing. a wall will not decrease the hatred but will decrease the deaths and for this reason alone, i think it is worth it. life is too precious to throw away.
    Please dont use the term "races". Remember that a large part of Israels population are muslim palestinians. I think it would be a mistake to issolate Israelis and palestinians hermethicly, but the barriers gives the Israelis an opportunity to prevent suecide bombers from crossing the borders by screening those who travel between the two sides.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think most of the Israelis which live in the mainland of Israel would not hesitate a second if they could chose to remove the setlemenets and get peace in return. The problem is that you have no guarantee that peace would come if Israel withdrew. In fact, teh Israelis have quite solid reasons to suspect that the terrorism would continue.
    true, but at least if the settlements were abolished, the world can't blame israel for not respecting the borders and perhaps israel will gain more worldside support. that is really important, coz currently israel looks like the "baddies".

ReputationRep:
    Those are two silly ideas...both those ideas are going to create hatred.

How are terrorist organistions primary aim to promote the destruction of Israel? You really do have little understanding of their dire situation.
    Well, you mean of course except from the fact that they publicly anounce the complete destruction of Israel as their primary goal in about every webpage, document, statement, interview they ever have?

Tell em then. How do you sugest the Israelis shall defend their population?

ReputationRep:
    It wont decrease hatred...it will increase it, and i reiterate what i said earlier. Palestinians depend on going into Israel for work, its is their only source of income and livelihood, without how can they live?! And its not going to 'decrease terrorist attacks'. It will increase it due to the Palestinian situation (work it from what ive said)...theyll only find other ways of delievering their attacks...

ReputationRep:
    true, but at least if the settlements were abolished, the world can't blame israel for not respecting the borders and perhaps israel will gain more worldside support. that is really important, coz currently israel looks like the "baddies".
    I would not be to certain about that. I live in Norway (Used to live in Sweden ) and here Israel is pretty much blamed for everything. I can see how the moment they withdraw from teh westbank, teh focus is shifted to eastern Jerusalem.

ReputationRep:
    Please dont use the term "races". Remember that a large part of Israels population are muslim palestinians. I think it would be a mistake to issolate Israelis and palestinians hermethicly, but the barriers gives the Israelis an opportunity to prevent suecide bombers from crossing the borders by screening those who travel between the two sides.
    Funnily enough, palestinians and israelis are of the same race: semite. A reminder that Islam is not a race.

ReputationRep:
    I would not be to certain about that. I live in Norway (Used to live in Sweden ) and here Israel is pretty much blamed for everything. I can see how the moment they withdraw from teh westbank, teh focus is shifted to eastern Jerusalem.

If you live in Sweden why is your location norway? Also, i dont think thats the case with the Swedish blaming Israel for everything, the Scandanavians are very pro-israel as are the Dutch.

ReputationRep:
    It wont decrease hatred...it will increase it, and i reiterate what i said earlier. Palestinians depend on going into Israel for work, its is their only source of income and livelihood, without how can they live?! .
    how about they sort out their country?

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be a mistake to issolate Israelis and palestinians hermethicly, but the barriers gives the Israelis an opportunity to prevent suecide bombers from crossing the borders by screening those who travel between the two sides.
    sadly, i think that it is impossible to separate the good muslim palestinians from the bad. its hard to trust anyone, even if they truly are the most angelic people in the world. there have been cases of trusted israeli arabs who have become suicide bombers. a wall will prevent the comings and goings, but inside the country could remain dens of people plotting the descruction of israel. as awful as it sounds.. it may be the only way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    how about they sort out their country?
    Any suggestions how, with the constant incursions, demolition of infrastructure and annihilation of the native population? You know comments like that really piss me off.

I think you should know that the Palestinians have the highest literacy rate in the world and the highest number of qualifications obtained. And Vienna get this, I read this in an article in the Ha'artez newspaper a couple of years back...so really not biased or anything, but Palestinian children achieve conisderablly better grades academically than Israeli pupils. Now...that’s pretty damn impressive especially with regards to the situation.

www.netureikarta.org - jews against israel

ReputationRep:
    If you live in Sweden why is your location norway? Also, i dont think thats the case with the Swedish blaming Israel for everything, the Scandanavians are very pro-israel as are the Dutch.
    Have you been in Sweden? I didnt think so. I am from Sweden I am right now in Oslo (Norway ) since I go to school here. I meant to write I lived in sweden, I am sorry if it was confusing. Basicly, Sweden is VERY anti-Israel. At least of you are to look at the politicall corectness, media , public opinion and politicians. As for Norway, it was only weeks since the European commision criticised Norway for not dealing with anti-semitism. I think if you compare Scandinavia (excluding Denmark) to most other european countries you would find that Sweden and Norway are among those countries which are most sceptical towards Israel. At least that is the impression I get when I compare scandinavian media and newspaer to those of other european countries (such as britain).

true, but israel only attacks when it has been attacked. it is not a viscous country that just kills when unprovoked. also u have to see how many israelis have been killed by palestinians... not that you can really compare loss of lives

yes.. but this has nothing to do with being unfair to Palestinians. Sharon was just being stupid by using his power to help his son. wrong thing to do, but not a war like move in any way!

yes he was given the nobel pieace prize, but so was israel with him - Yitzak Rabin. Both sides were rewarded equally. Why does Israel want him dead? because he's been found to have links to terrorists who have killed countless Israelis. He has been caught on TV telling his people to kill and has spread hate and propaganda against jews and israelis, whilst appearing all cute and peace loving to the rest of the world. two faced people are dangerous.
    You are bringing nothing new to the debate that hasn't already been argued over.
    And the first paragraph is utter tripe. At this stage it is utterly pointless to debate which is the attack, and which the counterattack.

ReputationRep:
    sadly, i think that it is impossible to separate the good muslim palestinians from the bad. its hard to trust anyone, even if they truly are the most angelic people in the world. there have been cases of trusted israeli arabs who have become suicide bombers. a wall will prevent the comings and goings, but inside the country could remain dens of people plotting the descruction of israel. as awful as it sounds.. it may be the only way
    But inside Israel it would be much easier for the Israeli defense to deal with them without hurting civilians in the process.

i'd say the majority.. but i dont know. i mean, even some british people are starting to support them which is really scary! how many do u think support terrorists?
    I don't think you know what you are talking about.

Although I agree that Israels actions in the westbankis primarely self defence (there has been a few incidents which are worthy of criticism) I must still say that I am quite sceptical to Sharons policy. It should be quite apparent that the military incursions to the westbank is making bad worse. True, the palestinian givernment has more or less brought it upon themselves, but Id still say Sharon is quite naive to beleive he can root out terrorism by launching a tremendous strike against the palestinian self controlled areas. A better strategy would be passive means of defense, such as the security fence now being constructed. If Israel truly wants to strike against the terrorists and the corrupt palestinian givernment, they must realise that peace is not possible unless the palestinian people support it. Even though the terrorist and the PLO are directly responsible for the indoctrination and fanaticism raging in the area, it shoul not be ignored that the Israeli military incursions help the fanatics justifying their actions so that they can persuade innocent palestinians into supporting them. The terrorists do take advantage of the paestinian population, and this is the main reason you still have hostilities in the area. It should be remembered, however, that it would be more difficult for them to do so had Israel had a milder policy in the west bank and Gaza.
    Indeed, Sharon seems to think on similar lines to Bush, but the problem is that you can't stop every attacker getting through. It's the fear more than anything. Fear keeps people off of buses in Israel, and planes in America. Going guns blazing everywhere which has produced terrorists will never stop them all, and invariably will lead to more terrorist and unrest in the short term
    J

still you...but i have to say...i am famed for my jokes
    Obviously they translate poorly onto the internet
    J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    I don't think you know what you are talking about.
    It all depends on what you mean with supporting terrorists. Most palestinians would probably say they support Hamaz and Co for fighting against Israel, a smaller number would say that they support atacks against innocent civilians, and a minority would support the goal to completely destroy the Israeli existance. It all depends on your definitions of support and terrorism.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.