This discussion is closed.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gemgems89)
But is this article showing both sides of the story...
You don't actually need an article showing both sides of the story.

As long as you have both sides covered somehow, maybe in separate articles, you can piece together what you want to believe as the truth.

My view remains that they should seek peace immediately and negotiate, not keep up these attacks.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well yes. If the bombs would stop in Israel, therefore making peace, Israel would withdraw.

Why can't the settlers withdraw anyway? They're not protecting anything.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well yes. If the bombs would stop in Israel, therefore making peace, Israel would withdraw.
Remember - Israel make attacks back, although targeted only at militant groups.

They need to figure out a peace settlement that both sides can keep.
llama boy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Err right. Are you actually involved in this debate? No. You're wrong.
What exactly am I wrong about though?

Wrong in that I'm not involved in this debate? Or wrong in that your opinion is right and mine (as yet unexpressed) is wrong?

It's all frighteningly confusing.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
You don't actually need an article showing both sides of the story.

As long as you have both sides covered somehow, maybe in separate articles, you can piece together what you want to believe as the truth.

My view remains that they should seek peace immediately and negotiate, not keep up these attacks.
the fact that the settlers have given a bad view for the rest of us on israel doesn't make it a bias report. No more than the reporting of the race riots in burnley was biased against one side or the other (although there was a definate bias against the whites for PC reasons)
J
gemgems89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
My point was that the sources are israeli. Why don't you take the time to listen to settlers views. or look at the map. There's no disputing that the settlements are deep into Palestinians territory. The article was BBC, it was writtena while back, but I read it today as background to the story that Sharon has decided to try and evacuate the settlements.
It was Sharon (and previous governemnts) who encouraged these settlements, but whther this is an attempt to placate the US, or an actual reversal, he has done a 180 degree turn.
This of course has peeved the settlers (who have worked hard to make these places their homes) but when push comes to shove, they belong there like gypsies on Eton playing field.

I the basic question given that these settlements are fact (no 2 ways about it) is do you think (like the settlers themselves do) that they are justified due to the bible.

When push comes to shove, i think this debate might lie in religious faith somewhat. In which case there would be no point me trying to argue the reasonable point of view (or what i percieve as being reasonable)
J
Well all this does come down to religion at the end of the day.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
In the meantime they'll just keep turfing women and children of their houses so they can blow them up.

Guilt by association /o\
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
The Palestinean's want a homeland, I doubt they really care how 'Islamic' it is.
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Why can't the settlers withdraw anyway? They're not protecting anything.
its a religious thing. they think its their promised land. the aim like it said in the interview was that each generation would take a bit more land, until all of biblical israel was held.
But what then? whos to say they wont try to settle a bit further, a few dozen miles into a neighbouring state to get to a fresh water supply, or some fertile land.
J
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well yeah. You know what I think about religion.

But I still think that they should get peace. If you ask me, any conflict based on religion is pointless - either people are too far into their religion, or they are aggressive anyway and use religion as an excuse.
gemgems89
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by llama boy)
What exactly am I wrong about though?

Wrong in that I'm not involved in this debate? Or wrong in that your opinion is right and mine (as yet unexpressed) is wrong?

It's all frighteningly confusing.
But what is your opinion ? You only used a quote...
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
but the question remains, do you support the building of these settlements because of your religion
or do you condemn them because it is pure and simple theft of land
J
Recall that many christian religions decided that America was a promised land - and stole the land from the native indians
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
But what is your opinion ? You only used a quote...
Why does it matter?

We've already decided that you're right and I'm wrong.

Anything else is, frankly, just window dressing.
gemgems89
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well yeah. You know what I think about religion.

But I still think that they should get peace. If you ask me, any conflict based on religion is pointless - either people are too far into their religion, or they are aggressive anyway and use religion as an excuse.
Yes, peace would be a solution, but it's not that simple unfortunately.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes, peace would be a solution, but it's not that simple unfortunately.
Can't they manage a total ceasefire to give them time to negotiate a solution?

Sure, Israel would probably have to lose land, but it's better than the terrorism that goes on today.

It's stupid that it's pretty much impossible to reach any kind of agreement with terrorists that are that extremist.
gemgems89
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Why does it matter?

Did I say I was right? I recall you saying you were right.
gemgems89
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Can't they manage a total ceasefire to give them time to negotiate a solution?

Sure, Israel would probably have to lose land, but it's better than the terrorism that goes on today.

It's stupid that it's pretty much impossible to reach any kind of agreement with terrorists that are that extremist.
There was a cease fire last July, a suicide bomber broke it.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Why does it matter?

Please, you can still argue your points, only to find yourself crushed by the joint power of Fish and Gems

Still, I don't know what your opinion is, but if you empathise with both sides like I do your opinions can be very valued in this discussion.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There was a cease fire last July, a suicide bomber broke it.
Well that's stupid.

I guess there are so many militant groups and independent terrorists operating that it'd be impossible to reach an agreement with all of them at once. And that's why Israel decides to clear them out forcefully.
llama boy
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Did I say I was right? I recall you saying you were right.
Yes...

I think, on closer examination, you might find that post not to be entirely serious.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (153)
60.96%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.38%
No- I want it (70)
27.89%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.77%

Watched Threads