This discussion is closed.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
1. She doesn't have a car. She's too young for a car, but she still manages to defend herself in front of the likes of you.

Sorry, fish, but - 'the likes of you'? This is a debate, and foolfarian is contributing to the opposing side. There is nothing particularly offensive towards gems herself in what he's saying. Why is he therefore in the wrong? Because that's what your post implied.
Jonatan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
The question still stands, and has been avoided several times already.
J
Let me put it straight out.

1: I do not support the settlements cus I think they obstruct peace.

2: The settlements are not illegal. The paragraf reffered to in the fourth geneva convention is there in order to prevent people from being deported to occupied land and was implemented because of Hungary's deportion of Jews to nazi Germany during WW2. Those who refer to the resolutions passed in teh General assembly can just stop that right now. General assembly resolutions are not legally binding and it is not illegal to violate them. Furthermore, these areas were lost as results of hostile policies towards Israel by the Arab states. They could have gained it back several times had they just accepted Israels right to exist, but they didnt. The country which could hold any juridical claim to theareas, Jordan, does not want anything to do with it.

In short: I do not support the settlements, but they are not illegal.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Sorry, fish, but - 'the likes of you'? This is a debate, and foolfarian is contributing to the opposing side. There is nothing particularly offensive towards gems herself in what he's saying. Why is he therefore in the wrong? Because that's what your post implied.
Because of the way he is being patronising towards Gems and this has happened many times before in debates.

I don't mind him putting forward his opinion.
bazippit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gemgems89)
Thank you very much! You speak the truth! I agree 100%. When I have free rep going, you're first on my list! Well done!
Unfortunately there are two sides to a story. The Israeli state was founded in the 1940s through ill-conceived Western influence, and it is a fact that many Israeli leaders/notables can be considered war criminals for previous actions etc. I agree that peace is difficult, but I think such a hope will never be realised!
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bazippit)
Unfortunately there are two sides to a story. The Israeli state was founded in the 1940s through ill-conceived Western influence, and it is a fact that many Israeli leaders/notables can be considered war criminals for previous actions etc. I agree that peace is difficult, but I think such a hope will never be realised!
It was founded as an escape from the anti-semitism of Western Europe.

Perhaps in the long term, European anti-semitism was the cause of the conflict.
DoctorNO
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What does it matter?
Because somebody asked her if her religious views affects her views on the issue being discussed. Just curious.

And I don't want you to come up with some bull**** about indoctrination or religious brainwashing.
Im pretty ok with almost every other religion on earth. They are tolerant, harmless & even quite beneficial to people. No bull****.

She is Jewish; although she isn't religious, she sees is as an important part of her identity.
Thanks.
bazippit
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It was founded as an escape from the anti-semitism of Western Europe.

Anti-semitism is unfortunately something that originates far earlier than the twentieth century, and the holocaust was by far the most horrendous crime against humanity. Western culture failed to properly handle the situation in the 1940s, causing all the strife since!
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bono)
people who are jealous of her 8 gems.
So what?

I'm jealous of her 8 gems, but I understand that it's probably because she's been here longer than me, she's a girl, and she's got a username that makes her sound like a collector of gems.

And I realise that actual respect is more important on this forum than reputation points, which are no measure of respect.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
I could offer you £5 quid for your car. It's a sh*tte offer that you'd be stupid to accept, but it's an offer.
Same with these peace treaties
J
Good analogy.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by DoctorNO)
Because somebody asked her if her religious views affects her views on the issue being discussed. Just curious.

Im pretty ok with almost every other religion on earth. They are tolerant, harmless & even quite beneficial to people. No bull****.

Thanks.
Alright, I was just wondering whether some might take her religion as being an indication of where her viewpoints come from, or even go as far as saying that her opinions can't be trusted because they are influenced too much.
DoctorNO
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Europe was the core cause of the conflict! It all started when the Romans colonized and expelled the Jews from Judea.
Jonatan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
So what?

I'm jealous of her 8 gems, but I understand that it's probably because she's been here longer than me, she's a girl, and she's got a username that makes her sound like a collector of gems.

And I realise that actual respect is more important on this forum than reputation points, which are no measure of respect.
Personally I couldnt care less of the reputation points. I usually dislike public opinion, and hence many people disagree with me. I think the reputation marks are quite nonsense actually.
bazippit
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Europe was the core cause of the conflict! It all started when the Romans colonized and expelled the Jews from Judea.
At last someone talking sense
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Some pro-Palestinians believe that that was too far in the past to be of relevance to the Jews' cause today.
Jonatan
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Dont forget how the Jews fled from egypt back at Mose times...

But seriously, if we are to take prehistoric times into consideration it all gets silly. Countries and borders change, it is not possible to determine a sole cause to teh conflict. If things are to get better one must look for the solution which might actually work.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jonatan)
Personally I couldnt care less of the reputation points. I usually dislike public opinion, and hence many people disagree with me. I think the reputation marks are quite nonsense actually.
I agree, they're pretty useless, but neg-repping is agressive and antisocial.

Jonatan, are you Jewish? Gems mentioned that you name was similar to the Hebrew name "Yonatan", and was happy to see a person on her side.

I'm not religious at all, I'm agnostic. I try and look at both sides of the argument which means I sometimes appear to switch sides.

I'm going now. Goodnight all!
DoctorNO
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jonatan)
Dont forget how the Jews fled from egypt back at Mose times...
Those are hebrews, not jews. Jews are technically the product of Hebrews and Canaanites.
bazippit
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Some pro-Palestinians believe that that was too far in the past to be of relevance to the Jews' cause today.
There is an inherent problem in looking to far to the past. What Constantines acceptance of Christianity etc. In certain respects relying solely on history creates more confusion
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It is rather.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by bazippit)
There is an inherent problem in looking to far to the past. What Constantines acceptance of Christianity etc. In certain respects relying solely on history creates more confusion
Yes,

It's best to look at either all of history to get the full picture, or none of it at all and try and sort out the situatoin as it is. Ptherwise you get all sorts of arguments on causes.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (533)
66.71%
No (266)
33.29%

Watched Threads