This discussion is closed.
DoctorNO
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Some pro-Palestinians believe that that was too far in the past to be of relevance to the Jews' cause today.
The scattered jews all around europe, africa & arabia had to come from somewhere. and dont forget they are unwanted in these lands. so its not just a european problem but an arabian and african one. admitting the latter is hurtful to the palestinian propaganda.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
neg-repping is agressive and antisocial.
hahahahaha, how?

Jonatan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I agree, they're pretty useless, but neg-repping is agressive and antisocial.

Jonatan, are you Jewish? Gems mentioned that you name was similar to the Hebrew name "Yonatan", and was happy to see a person on her side.

I'm not religious at all, I'm agnostic. I try and look at both sides of the argument which means I sometimes appear to switch sides.

I'm going now. Goodnight all!
My mother is a Christian and My father is a Jew. I guess I considder myself an agnostic , though I argue like an ateist. I celebrate christmas. My grandparents where hungarian Jews but where deported to Auschwitz during WW2. They survived, their families didnt. So I cannot say that my Jewish background is exactly irrelevant in order to understand me as a person. In teh ME conflict I would say I am quite supportative over Israel , though I considder Sharon to be an idiot who is better at screaming than thinking. I blaim arafat for a large extent of teh violence and teh collapse of teh peace process, and he should never have gitn the peace price.

Hopes this helps, I tried to be as consise and honest as possible.
bazippit
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes,

It's best to look at either all of history to get the full picture, or none of it at all and try and sort out the situatoin as it is. Ptherwise you get all sorts of arguments on causes.
Problem is history is created by historians from available sources - an eternal dilemna that creates debate, unhelped by the need to consider biasness and the meaning/origins of evidence
Jonatan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by DoctorNO)
Those are hebrews, not jews. Jews are technically the product of Hebrews and Canaanites.
I dont know where you got your definition, but about every Jew in the world would disagree with you.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
1. She doesn't have a car. She's too young for a car, but she still manages to defend herself in front of the likes of you.

2. She's gone offline for the night.

3. Who here has given Gems negative reputation?
1) that's just being pedantic, I was just making an analagy and don't like phrases such as 'the likes of you'

3) if you are implying it was me you can go swivel. What is it with pr*cks here accusing me of giving bad rep. I don't see the point in rep. particulary when i would give minus about 10 points, and she has 8 gems which means she has thousands of points.
What the hell would be the point!?!

J
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jonatan)
I am getting sort of tiered of arguing about the ME conflict. But I have a couple of things to say:

I think Israel has gotn a huge lot of **** mainly due to public opinion. One thing are those people who critisize Israel because they disagree with their politics, but when people are talking about propaganda in Israeli media , and at the same time insisting that Israel is a monarchy (I had quite some trouble convincing one very anti-Israel girl that Israel did not have a king as head of state) then I get annoyed. MAny of those who critisize Israel doesnt know **** about the conflict, but they criticise it because they have heard some politically correct statement on TV.
monarchy?
J
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
Let me put it straight out.

1: I do not support the settlements cus I think they obstruct peace.

2: The settlements are not illegal. The paragraf reffered to in the fourth geneva convention is there in order to prevent people from being deported to occupied land and was implemented because of Hungary's deportion of Jews to nazi Germany during WW2. Those who refer to the resolutions passed in teh General assembly can just stop that right now. General assembly resolutions are not legally binding and it is not illegal to violate them. Furthermore, these areas were lost as results of hostile policies towards Israel by the Arab states. They could have gained it back several times had they just accepted Israels right to exist, but they didnt. The country which could hold any juridical claim to theareas, Jordan, does not want anything to do with it.

In short: I do not support the settlements, but they are not illegal.
I'm sure the world including the US is wrong and you are right about the legality.
Problem is that whenever international law comes into question a country (such as Israel) can always chose not to recognise their authority
J
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
Because of the way he is being patronising towards Gems and this has happened many times before in debates.

I don't mind him putting forward his opinion.
patronising? in what way? I do i admit feel like i am banging my head against a brick wall. And the query that has gone unanswered would sort that out in a second.
Does Gem support the settlements etc because she is Jewish, and so believes in the Biblical right to the land.
Simple
J
You can't argue against faith
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
So what?

I'm jealous of her 8 gems, but I understand that it's probably because she's been here longer than me, she's a girl, and she's got a username that makes her sound like a collector of gems.

And I realise that actual respect is more important on this forum than reputation points, which are no measure of respect.
Her username...
I have to say I always figured her name was Gemma or something
J
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
I agree, they're pretty useless, but neg-repping is agressive and antisocial.

Jonatan, are you Jewish? Gems mentioned that you name was similar to the Hebrew name "Yonatan", and was happy to see a person on her side.

I'm not religious at all, I'm agnostic. I try and look at both sides of the argument which means I sometimes appear to switch sides.

I'm going now. Goodnight all!
I take an alternative view to the situation myself. But I would resent if anyone accused me of being a muslim or anti-semitic.
I'm strongly atheist myself
J
DoctorNO
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I dont know where you got your definition, but about every Jew in the world would disagree with you.
1. From the Torah itself that testifies to the INTERMARRIAGES between the Hebrews and the various Canaanite tribes.

2. From history references like this one.... www . ancientroute.com/empire/philistia.htm

Now YOU have no basis at all to say that it was the Jews who fled from Egypt. Nada.
preyingmantis
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
patronising? in what way? I do i admit feel like i am banging my head against a brick wall. And the query that has gone unanswered would sort that out in a second.
Does Gem support the settlements etc because she is Jewish, and so believes in the Biblical right to the land.
Simple
J
You can't argue against faith
haha, I can't believe no one else has noticed the dodging. and i don't see you as being patronising. tho u do seem very wound up
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Her username...
I have to say I always figured her name was Gemma or something
J
Yes, it's Gemma.

I wasn't implying that you negative repped her, although she has received nothing but negative rep from this thread simply because however intelligently she explains her views, people disagree with them and neg rep her.
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
Yes, it's Gemma.

I wasn't implying that you negative repped her, although she has received nothing but negative rep from this thread simply because however intelligently she explains her views, people disagree with them and neg rep her.
indeed. I'm not one of them. I'm still waiting for my answer from her though :-)
J
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
indeed. I'm not one of them. I'm still waiting for my answer from her though :-)
J
Answer, on what exactly?
DoctorNO
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Answer, on what exactly?
if gem's views on the issue is related to her religious affiliation.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
if gem's views on the issue is related to her religious affiliation.
I've asked her that so many times. It might be. Why, do you believe that her views are a problem and religion may offer an explanation?

Also, she may be Jewish but that doesn't mean she is a practicing Jew. She might not be exposed to the kind of propaganda that would have any affect on her, and might still be judging from the same evidence we have.
DoctorNO
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Why, do you believe that her views are a problem and religion may offer an explanation?
Being relatively new to this thread Im still not quite sure of her views. If its extremely pro-Israel with no regards with the palestinians then it is a problem. I understand if her views are related to her faith. Its human to love your own.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Being relatively new to this thread Im still not quite sure of her views. If its extremely pro-Israel with no regards with the palestinians then it is a problem. I understand if her views are related to her faith. Its human to love your own.
Yeah, read through.

She's online now, I won't talk behind her back any further.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (153)
60.96%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.38%
No- I want it (70)
27.89%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.77%

Watched Threads