This discussion is closed.
gemgems89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Rightio,

What was the question again? If my beliefs are based because of my religion? Mostly, yes. However, if it wasn't down to my religion my views would still be pretty much the same.

(Original post by foolfarian)
last july you say? heres what happened last July...
Last July the cease fire was broken, towards the end of July. It was made a few weeks before in which Israel offered it, not Palestine.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gemgems89)
Last July the cease fire was broken, towards the end of July. It was made a few weeks before in which Israel offered it, not Palestine.
May I ask what the story is about Israel denying the BBC rights to its government because it wanted sympathy?
DoctorNO
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Rightio,

What was the question again? If my beliefs are based because of my religion? Mostly, yes. However, if it wasn't down to my religion my views would still be pretty much the same.
So do you or do you not think that the Palestinians have a rightful claim on the West Bank & Gaza Strip?

Thanks.
gemgems89
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Yes, it's Gemma.

I wasn't implying that you negative repped her, although she has received nothing but negative rep from this thread simply because however intelligently she explains her views, people disagree with them and neg rep her.
Yes, my name is Gemma - thank you

May I ask what the story is about Israel denying the BBC rights to its government because it wanted sympathy?
Hmm, I don't know much about that but many people have been ringing in to complain about bias reports, maybe it's to do with that?
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes, my name is Gemma - thank you

Hmm, I don't know much about that but many people have been ringing in to complain about bias reports, maybe it's to do with that?
You mean because sympathy to Israel is the "unbiased" way of reporting?

The BBC don't sympathise with anyone - any opinion is constricted to quotes from people. I guess they could be biased by selecting only quotes sympathetic to one side to bring into their articles.
gemgems89
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by DoctorNO)
So do you or do you not think that the Palestinians have a rightful claim on the West Bank & Gaza Strip?

Thanks.
Well, only if it's in exchange for peace then yes. But that's probaly unlikely. If it was me, they can have their land if it stops all the fighting and violence, but when Israel gets attacked in their capital killing innocent people that have no involvment in it all, that's when I totally defend the land and have absolutely no tolerence at all.
DoctorNO
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think Jerusalem should wholy belong to the Jews because:

* It was undeniably theirs to begin with.
* The arabs lost their hold on it in the 1967 war.
* A city with two owners is a potential point for future conflicts.
gemgems89
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You mean because sympathy to Israel is the "unbiased" way of reporting?

The BBC don't sympathise with anyone - any opinion is constricted to quotes from people. I guess they could be biased by selecting only quotes sympathetic to one side to bring into their articles.
No, I'm not talking about sympathy.

When the BBC sometimes report, they show some Palestinians suffering to make the audience sympathise and hate Israel. But the BBC fails to show the Israelis suffering.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, only if it's in exchange for peace then yes. But that's probaly unlikely. If it was me, they can have their land if it stops all the fighting and violence, but when Israel gets attacked in their capital killing innocent people that have no involvment in it all, that's when I totally defend the land and have absolutely no tolerence at all.
There's always going to be some terrorists attacking Israeli targets and claiming to be fighting for the good of the Palestinians.

After a rethought, I've decided that peace probably wouldn't work that way. An agreement needs to be reached, even if it results in Israel losing land. What exactly do the terrorists want?
gemgems89
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

* A two city with two owners is a potential point for future conflicts.
Well not just Jews live in Jerusalem. There's an Arab part, a Christian part and a Jewish part. Once I walked through the Arab part and to put it nicely, it wasn't very pleasant compared to the rest of Jerusalem.
gemgems89
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
There's always going to be some terrorists attacking Israeli targets and claiming to be fighting for the good of the Palestinians.

After a rethought, I've decided that peace probably wouldn't work that way. An agreement needs to be reached, even if it results in Israel losing land. What exactly do the terrorists want?
I've no idea. If only I knew. They just hate Israel and thus attack.

Why can't it all be forgotten? They can't fight forever. The Israelis should give back some land and the Palestinians should stop the bombing and everyone should live in peace and harmony. If only it was so simple..
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

* A two city with two owners is a potential point for future conflicts.
No, I don't agree.

It contains sites holy to Islam too. If it belonged entirely to the Jews then the Arabs could claim that the Jews who owned the city were stopping them from practising their religion and use it to gain support for their terrorism. If they got backing from religious leaders in a Jihad then they might end up with the support of much of the world.
DoctorNO
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Thanks for clearing that out. Youre OK afterall.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Why can't it all be forgotten? They can't fight forever. The Israelis should give back some land and the Palestinians should stop the bombing and everyone should live in peace and harmony. If only it was so simple..
That's precisely what I think.

But there's always going to be terrorists trying to stir up trouble, and I guess that's why the Israeli forces go after known militants which causes more terrorist attacks...
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
No, I'm not talking about sympathy.

When the BBC sometimes report, they show some Palestinians suffering to make the audience sympathise and hate Israel. But the BBC fails to show the Israelis suffering.
When there's a bus bombing they show that, and when there is an attack by israel they show that too.
The difference is this:-
1) Israel prevents journalists going near attack sites. This is to prevent distress to relatives of the dead. They are now reversing this policy to try and gain ground in the propoganda war (which i think is fair enough)
2) There are much more singular incidents by Israel resulting in a damage and injuries then there are by palestinian bombers
J
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well not just Jews live in Jerusalem. There's an Arab part, a Christian part and a Jewish part. Once I walked through the Arab part and to put it nicely, it wasn't very pleasant compared to the rest of Jerusalem.
Why does it have to be split? That's why I don't like religion that much, it's split a city into zones that may be hostile towards one another.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
When there's a bus bombing they show that, and when there is an attack by israel they show that too.
The difference is this:-
1) Israel prevents journalists going near attack sites. This is to prevent distress to relatives of the dead. They are now reversing this policy to try and gain ground in the propoganda war (which i think is fair enough)
2) There are much more singular incidents by Israel resulting in a damage and injuries then there are by palestinian bombers
J
If the Israelis want sympathy then that's the way to go.

Aren't the Israeli attacks directed only at known terrorist leaders? But the attacks on Israel are against innocent people.
DoctorNO
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It contains sites holy to Islam too. If it belonged entirely to the Jews then the Arabs could claim that the Jews who owned the city were stopping them from practising their religion and use it to gain support for their terrorism. If they got backing from religious leaders in a Jihad then they might end up with the support of much of the world.
The arabs would claim anything to have a share in Jerusalem. Besides, Christians have holy sites in there too and there are no complaints from them so far.

Any other reason?
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Firstly, the Christian 'part' of Jersusalem is also the Arab part.

And are the Arab parts not nice, because theyve just been raided by Israeli soldiers and have 100s of dead bodies lying on the street, or is it because Israelis forced the Arabs out of the nice areas and gave them squalors?
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago

So do you think that is is right the 17 settlements (containing some 7500 israeli settlers) should be occupying over a fifth of the gaza strip. (having entered the region only in the last 3 years).
Would you agree that they should go?

And would you also concede, that like there are radicals on the Palestinian side who should be condemned, there are likewise radicals on the Israeli side. (and by radical don't go immediately thinking suicide bombers.)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed