This discussion is closed.
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by DoctorNO)
The arabs would claim anything to have a share in Jerusalem. Besides, Christians have holy sites in there too and there are no complaints from them so far.

Any other reason?
Hmmm, it belongs to the Jews, but they don't stop other religions getting around, do they?

I hate referring to social groups by religion, eg. the Jews. It generalises them and makes it sound like religion is what splits the groups apart. But the truth is... it's nothing but religion involved in this conflict. It's the Jews and the Arabs, who are Muslim. They're split by religion, and religion is the most stupid thing to split groups based on.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by foolfarian)
So do you think that is is right the 17 settlements (containing some 7500 israeli settlers) should be occupying over a fifth of the gaza strip. (having entered the region only in the last 3 years).
Would you agree that they should go?

And would you also concede, that like there are radicals on the Palestinian side who should be condemned, there are likewise radicals on the Israeli side. (and by radical don't go immediately thinking suicide bombers.)
I'd agree that the Israeli settlers should go, but what are they doing there in the first place?

What do the Israeli radicals do though? They're not that bad unless they're suicide bombers, and they're not.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
If the Israelis want sympathy then that's the way to go.

Aren't the Israeli attacks directed only at known terrorist leaders? But the attacks on Israel are against innocent people.
not really. The big attacks always attempt to take out terrorists, but rarely suceed, and always end up with 'collateral damage' like when they tried to kill the leader of (i think) hamas who was in a car goign through a market. A shed load of civilians died, and the hamas bloke escaped (minus a leg)
plus you have to factor in killings by settlers, and killings when they 'raid camps'
Another thing is they raid a camp, and get shot at, and then use the fact they got shot at to justify the incursion. A state of mind that really wouldn't work if you tried it in America
J
DoctorNO
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hmmm, it belongs to the Jews, but they don't stop other religions getting around, do they?
Exactly. I doubt that with the Muslims. Look at Mecca. Completely off limits to you & me.

I hate referring to social groups by religion, eg. the Jews.

It generalises them and makes it sound like religion is what splits the groups apart.
The truth hurts. But we have to accept the fact that religion does split people.

But the truth is... it's nothing but religion involved in this conflict. It's the Jews and the Arabs, who are Muslim. They're split by religion, and religion is the most stupid thing to split groups based on.
Think of the bright side. At least the Christians are out of the fray.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
not really. The big attacks always attempt to take out terrorists, but rarely suceed, and always end up with 'collateral damage' like when they tried to kill the leader of (i think) hamas who was in a car goign through a market. A shed load of civilians died, and the hamas bloke escaped (minus a leg)
plus you have to factor in killings by settlers, and killings when they 'raid camps'
Another thing is they raid a camp, and get shot at, and then use the fact they got shot at to justify the incursion. A state of mind that really wouldn't work if you tried it in America
J
Hmmm...

Why do the Israelis target the leader of Hamas? The suicide bombers might be united under the Hamas group, but they attack as individuals meaning that the leader being killed wouldn't make much difference except cause more retaliation from them.
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
I'd agree that the Israeli settlers should go, but what are they doing there in the first place?

What do the Israeli radicals do though? They're not that bad unless they're suicide bombers, and they're not.
A suicde bomber kills on average 10 people.
How many do you think a trigger happy israeli soldier can kill in the course of a year.
or a hardline general/(prime minister)
Or how about the settlers who destroy entire cops an olive trees that have stood for hundreds of years in order to claim the land as abandoned.

I just think it should be realised that the soldier who shoots dead 10 innocents over the course of a year is just as bad as the terrorist who blows up 10 innocents in one go.
But then that's my philisophical way of thinking about it
J
ThornsnRoses
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Well Israeli settlers do much worse than suicide bombers, they make the normal Palestinians life hell. Invading their orchards, walking around armed, hitting Palestinians (these are documented) and as you know Palestinians can't retaliate because Israeli soldiers protect the citzens.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Exactly. I doubt that with the Muslims. Look at Mecca. Completely off limits to you & me.
Hmm, indeed. An interesting one to put in front of Mughal when he comes back with more bedtime stories from the Koran.

The truth hurts. But we have to accept the fact that religion does split people.
That's why I hate organised religion. Religion, if you look at it, is nothing more than a personal set of beliefs about God and morals. But people form groups based on it, which means they begin to hate each other.
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
Hmmm...

Why do the Israelis target the leader of Hamas? The suicide bombers might be united under the Hamas group, but they attack as individuals meaning that the leader being killed wouldn't make much difference except cause more retaliation from them.
indeed. terrorist organistations are cellular with a more distributed command structure.
its a stupid way of thinking that has dogged the yanks - thinking that as soon as they got saddam that attacks would decrease.
ha
J
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I just think it should be realised that the soldier who shoots dead 10 innocents over the course of a year is just as bad as the terrorist who blows up 10 innocents in one go.
Why would a soldier kill 10 innocent people?
ThornsnRoses
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Why did a soldier kill Tom Hurndal and many other peace activists? BECAUSE THEY CAN AND NOTHING WILL BE DONE ABOUT IT!!
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
you have to remember these are often little more than kids. You see someone pointing a video camera and you panic thinking its a rocket launcher or some such like and shoot them - thats an innocent.
I'm not saying it's a regular occurence. many more die do to rocket attacks from thsose infernal apaches
J
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
Why did a soldier kill Tom Hurndal and many other peace activists? BECAUSE THEY CAN AND NOTHING WILL BE DONE ABOUT IT!!
he is one high profile case yes. there was also a guy from cambridge who was shot by israeli soldiers as they drove along (for no reason). he was a journalist with a big 'Go USA' T-shirt (which added to the irony of the article). He survived though
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
indeed. terrorist organistations are cellular with a more distributed command structure.
its a stupid way of thinking that has dogged the yanks - thinking that as soon as they got saddam that attacks would decrease.
ha
J
Well, I guess that if I knew where the leader of a terrorist organisation lived but nobody else, I'd want to target him because his death would decrease morale if nothing more.

I guess that it's only in organisations with an extremely rigid structure, such as the army or government, that a death at the top would cause major trouble. In terrorist groups, people at the bottom would carry on as normal and just take it as a signal that they have been relieved of having to follow orders and can attack how they want.
DoctorNO
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A suicde bomber kills on average 10 people.
How many do you think a trigger happy israeli soldier can kill in the course of a year.
What is the frequency of each? Its been quite a while the last time I heard of a "trigger happy" israeli soldier.

Or how about the settlers who destroy entire cops an olive trees that have stood for hundreds of years in order to claim the land as abandoned.
whats wrong with that? unless there are some people who are ACTIVELY maintaining those trees.

of course, if it was equally intentional. Who said it wasnt?
Jamie
Report 16 years ago
What is the frequency of each? Its been quite a while the last time I heard of a "trigger happy" israeli soldier.

whats wrong with that? unless there are some people who are ACTIVELY maintaining those trees.

of course, if it was equally intentional. Who said it wasnt?
!?!Of course they are maintaining them. Where do you think olives come from!?!

So they don't use the phrase trigger happy. Doesn't mean it isn't happening. Theres one soldier on trial now for unlawful shooting. Or did you selectively miss that?
J
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
So they don't use the phrase trigger happy. Doesn't mean it isn't happening. Theres one soldier on trial now for unlawful shooting. Or did you selectively miss that?
On trial?

Precisely; the Israeli authorities have noticed this and taken action to stop it.

Do the Palestinians do that?
gemgems89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ThornsnRoses)
Firstly, the Christian 'part' of Jersusalem is also the Arab part.

And are the Arab parts not nice, because theyve just been raided by Israeli soldiers and have 100s of dead bodies lying on the street, or is it because Israelis forced the Arabs out of the nice areas and gave them squalors?
Dead bodies lying on the street? Not quite. The Israeli soldiers have not raided them at all. You show no knowledge of the subject at all, I'm afraid. The reason is it's not very pleasant is because it smells. I really don't know why it's like that at all. It's more of the old part of Jerusalem and not many people live there at all really. Well not on the street I went on.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
On trial?

Precisely; the Israeli authorities have noticed this and taken action to stop it.

Do the Palestinians do that?
Israel has a state and thus a judicary, Palestine does not.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by gemgems89)
Dead bodies lying on the street? Not quite. The Israeli soldiers have not raided them at all. You show no knowledge of the subject at all, I'm afraid. The reason is it's not very pleasant is because it smells. I really don't know why it's like that at all. It's more of the old part of Jerusalem and not many people live there at all really. Well not on the street I went on.
Smells...

West Bromwich (town not far from here) centre smells and isn't very nice, but that doesn't mean it has a ground littered with dead bodies or even raids, except maybe from some gangs.

Yes, I want to go to Jerusalem and see for myself.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (153)
60.96%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.38%
No- I want it (70)
27.89%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.77%

Watched Threads