Reply 1100
foolfarian
you'd be surprised at how many people know what's going on
J

Or think they do :wink: hehe ..
foolfarian
you'd be surprised at how many people know what's going on
J

Not so long ago this girl in my class, who is VERY suportative for teh palestinian case insisted that Israel was a monarchy. I tried to explain that even though Israel does have a prime minister, they also have a president as head of state. Took me quite a while to convince her that Israel does not have a king. I must say that I beleive that the majority of people debating the Israel - Palestine question has not even managed to catch which three people shared the nobel price after the Oslo agreement, though I am certain that everyone will be able to name Arafat as one of them.
Jonatan
Not so long ago this girl in my class, who is VERY suportative for teh palestinian case insisted that Israel was a monarchy. I tried to explain that even though Israel does have a prime minister, they also have a president as head of state. Took me quite a while to convince her that Israel does not have a king. I must say that I beleive that the majority of people debating the Israel - Palestine question has not even managed to catch which three people shared the nobel price after the Oslo agreement, though I am certain that everyone will be able to name Arafat as one of them.

I had an argument with someone the other day who insisted that australia was a republic. Some people have no idea what's going on in the world around them
J
foolfarian
I had an argument with someone the other day who insisted that australia was a republic. Some people have no idea what's going on in the world around them
J

SOME people?
Reply 1104
DoctorNO
The number of Jews who fled the arab lands are almost of similar proportions to the original Palestinian refugees. So why wont the Arab nations absorb these refugees to refill the vacancies left by the jews?

What do you think? :biggrin:

I remember being told in history dat ages ago (bt kno if it is stil da same case now) Arab States did not want to show that they have been forced to recognise Israel. They did want to show dey have given Palestine away and dat most it does not exist nemo. They c dat by lettin refugees enta dat they are showin a sign of weakness against Israel. imo i feel dat dere way of finkin woz arrogant den...

I must say that I beleive that the majority of people debating the Israel - Palestine question has not even managed to catch which three people shared the nobel price after the Oslo agreement, though I am certain that everyone will be able to name Arafat as one of them.

ps.
Nobel prize winners afta oslo agreement were Rabin, Shimon Pere (or sumfin spelt like dat, can remem) n Arafat (lol)
Reply 1105

I must say that I beleive that the majority of people debating the Israel - Palestine question has not even managed to catch which three people shared the nobel price after the Oslo agreement, though I am certain that everyone will be able to name Arafat as one of them.

ps.
Nobel prize winners afta oslo agreement were Rabin, Shimon Pere (or sumfin spelt like dat, can remem) n Arafat (lol)
Yeah, and I think it is not true people only remember arafats price. Rabin was definitely more famous, especially after his assasination.
Ok, I've just come back from Israel on a school trip. I went for a week. I had an amazing time, I experienced so much. It was so unique and I just want to do it all again. Israel really is an amazing place, it's so beautiful. It's a shame not many people know it.

I saw no violence at all. I saw nothing harmful. I saw sun, I saw the sea, I saw the countryside, I saw history and I saw snow, but I saw no aggression of any kind. Everyone was so friendly and welcoming.

I'm going to post a mini diary of what we did, and maybe a few piccies - I took some great pictures. From me standing in front of some cows on a bike in the middle of the countryside in the hot sun to taking a picture of the snowy hills from the top of a cable car.

But first I want to tell you all what one of the non-Jewish and pro-palestinian teachers thought that went with.

He comes from a Christian background and is the type to be Pro-Palestinian and completely anti-Israel. So he went to Israel to see it all for himself. And he said that he had an absolutely amazing time there. He realised how much the media exaggerates and lies. He saw the Israeli point of view and he now knows both sides of the story. So now he has actually seen it for himself instead of relying on the news, radio and papers, it has changed his views on things and is now no longer against Israel.

The point of this story is that you all have an opinion, and your opinion can easily change. Most of your views are based on the media, and the media really is bias. Most of you think you know everything about this, but the truth is, you don't. You don't know until you have been. So you can argue as much as you want, but you don't know what you're talking about because all your information is off the internet and news. It's like writing up an experiment that you havn't even seen.

So anyway, I really don't want to argue anymore and don't want to fall out with any of you. I just hope that one day you do realise the real situation.

Thank you,

~Gemma~
Oh Gems, wonderful.

Can I come next time?
Reply 1108
I would say that forming an opinion on a country based on a one week 'tourist' trip there is worse than forming one based on wide and critical reading. But yea, anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.
thefish_uk
Oh Gems, wonderful.

Can I come next time?

If you wish.
kildare
I would say that forming an opinion on a country based on a one week 'tourist' trip there is worse than forming one based on wide and critical reading. But yea, anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

Well it's actually the second time I've been.
gemgems89
If you wish.

Aw, sweet.

kildare

I would agree - if I'd have gone I'd have taken everything presented to us with a pinch of salt.
Reply 1112
gemgems89
Well it's actually the second time I've been.

I was simply making a general point which was provoked by what you said about your teacher.
kildare
I was simply making a general point which was provoked by what you said about your teacher.

Yeah, I guess they'd have put up a good display intentionally for a group of young visitors from a Western country.
thefish_uk
Aw, sweet.

I would agree - if I'd have gone I'd have taken everything presented to us with a pinch of salt.

Well, I think one week there is more than looking at the bias news. If you're there you have it all in front of you. Oh yeh I forgot.
We drove past the West Bank, you know, where all the trouble is supposed to be. Ha, didn't see a single soldier.
gemgems89
Well, I think one week there is more than looking at the bias news. If you're there you have it all in front of you. Oh yeh I forgot.
We drove past the West Bank, you know, where all the trouble is supposed to be. Ha, didn't see a single soldier.

AH okay.

Do you think I could do my gap year idea after all? :tongue:
kildare

Oh sorry, well my teacher has now been to Israel more times than me. I think it's his third of fourth time now.
thefish_uk
Yeah, I guess they'd have put up a good display intentionally for a group of young visitors from a Western country.

No not at all. We went everywhere and anywhere.

Why you all so negative?
Reply 1118
Have you ever thought that where you were being taken on this school trip was away from the violence surely you are not suggesting no violence takes place in Israel................
gemgems89
No not at all. We went everywhere and anywhere.

Why you all so negative?

Sorry, I'm just cynical I guess. Especially with the amount of propaganda potential a school trip would have.

You said they gave you a talk on the conflict? I find that interesting... what kind of stuff did they say?

Latest

Trending

Trending