Israel Watch

This discussion is closed.
gemgems89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by thefish_uk)
Yeah, I guess they'd have put up a good display intentionally for a group of young visitors from a Western country.
No not at all. We went everywhere and anywhere.

Why you all so negative?
Nafisa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Have you ever thought that where you were being taken on this school trip was away from the violence surely you are not suggesting no violence takes place in Israel................
thefish_uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by gemgems89)
No not at all. We went everywhere and anywhere.

Why you all so negative?
Sorry, I'm just cynical I guess. Especially with the amount of propaganda potential a school trip would have.

You said they gave you a talk on the conflict? I find that interesting... what kind of stuff did they say?
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nafisa)
Have you ever thought that where you were being taken on this school trip was away from the violence surely you are not suggesting no violence takes place in Israel................
That's what I'm saying, a school trip has to be safe to go ahead.

Surely it can only offer part of the picture...
gemgems89
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I never said no violence. I'm saying Israel isn't full of soldiers and tanks. It's the gaza where the trouble is, nowhere else.

And like I said just before, we drove past the West Bank, is that away from violence?
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh sorry, well my teacher has now been to Israel more times than me. I think it's his third of fourth time now.
The point stands. You could go to Israel (or anywhere else for that matter) a hundred times and not see anything happen yourself. That doesn't mean that nothing untoward every goes on.
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I never said no violence. I'm saying Israel isn't full of soldiers and tanks. It's the gaza where the trouble is, nowhere else.

And like I said just before, we drove past the West Bank, is that away from violence?
The West Bank... I know Israel is only the size of Wales but surely there are dangerous parts and safe parts?
gemgems89
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
That's what I'm saying, a school trip has to be safe to go ahead.

Surely it can only offer part of the picture...
But people were saying how Israel isn't safe at all etc etc, but you've just contradicted yourself by saying the school takes us to safe places.

Apparantly Jerusalem isn't very safe, we went there. The golan heights, apparantly Syria are fighting over that, we went there.
Nafisa
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

So are you suggesting the images we are being presented in the media full of bloody conflicts and mass suicide is computer generated, just because a specific time you went to Israel you didnt encounter any violence even on the west bank *oh my god*?

What exactly is your point.......
gemgems89
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The West Bank... I know Israel is only the size of Wales but surely there are dangerous parts and safe parts?
Yes, just like anywhere. Manchester has safe parts and dangerous parts, to be honest, mostly dangerous but anyway, most of the trouble is situated round the borders. Who would want to go to the borders anyway? There's nothing to see there.

All I'm trying to say is that Israel isn't a danger zone like everyone thinks and is a really beautiful place. There are dangerous parts, but they can easily and I mean easily, be avoided.
adelz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, I think one week there is more than looking at the bias news. If you're there you have it all in front of you. Oh yeh I forgot.
We drove past the West Bank, you know, where all the trouble is supposed to be. Ha, didn't see a single soldier.
Well, Ive been to Palestine 3 times, and Israel twice, Ive seen both sides and THAT has changed my opinion too. I support Palestine more than I do Israel - Im not saying Israel is completely wrong - both sides have to blame - but ...
And how can you drive past the west bank ? Its like saying I drove past Switzerland on my way to Italy from France ... the West Bank is large and it IS full of Israeli soldiers, settlements and a landgrab wall !
Plus, just because you have been to Israel once or twice on little tourist trips cannot be the factor that changes ones opinion. You said you saw no violence - well .. the violence is not in Israel, its in Palestine. And ofcourse Israel is a lovely country .. its all rich etc. Palestine is a shithole due to the Israeli occupation. Its a large slum, where over 60% earn less than a $ a day.
gemgems89
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
So are you suggesting the images we are being presented in the media full of bloody conflicts and mass suicide is computer generated, just because a specific time you went to Israel you didnt encounter any violence even on the west bank *oh my god*?

But in Israel right now, there are still conflicts, so you can't blame it on the time I went there.

I thought my point has been made clear enough, obviously not!

I'll repeat, All I'm trying to say is that Israel isn't a danger zone like everyone thinks and is a really beautiful place. There are dangerous parts, but they can easily and I mean easily, be avoided.
kildare
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yes, just like anywhere. Manchester has safe parts and dangerous parts, to be honest, mostly dangerous but anyway, most of the trouble is situated round the borders. Who would want to go to the borders anyway? There's nothing to see there.

All I'm trying to say is that Israel isn't a danger zone like everyone thinks and is a really beautiful place. There are dangerous parts, but they can easily and I mean easily, be avoided.
O.k.
adelz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

LOL exactly !
Nafisa
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But in Israel right now, there are still conflicts, so you can't blame it on the time I went there.

I'll repeat, All I'm trying to say is that Israel isn't a danger zone like everyone thinks and is a really beautiful place. There are dangerous parts, but they can easily and I mean easily, be avoided.
And you are basing this on a school trip for however long...............
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
But people were saying how Israel isn't safe at all etc etc, but you've just contradicted yourself by saying the school takes us to safe places.

Apparantly Jerusalem isn't very safe, we went there. The golan heights, apparantly Syria are fighting over that, we went there.
I haven't contradicted myself at all.

I never thought Israel was entirely unsafe. I just said that if there are safe parts and unsafe parts it's the law that a school trip can't take you anywhere unsafe in today's political and legal climate because they can be sued for putting you in just about any danger.

So obviously they'll plan to take you to only places where you won't be in danger.

Also you say you drove by the west bank? How do you know exactly? Did a guide or teacher point it out?
adelz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

So from that I gather that infact the "terrorists" arent so much of a threat to Israel .. therefore the Wall, the military action by the IDF that is stopping piece if all .. pointless. . well ! I think that statements supports the Palestinian cause and further undermines Israels apparant peace notions.
gemgems89
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by adelz)
Well, Ive been to Palestine 3 times, and Israel twice, Ive seen both sides and THAT has changed my opinion too. I support Palestine more than I do Israel - Im not saying Israel is completely wrong - both sides have to blame - but ...
And how can you drive past the west bank ? Its like saying I drove past Switzerland on my way to Italy from France ... the West Bank is large and it IS full of Israeli soldiers, settlements and a landgrab wall !
Plus, just because you have been to Israel once or twice on little tourist trips cannot be the factor that changes ones opinion. You said you saw no violence - well .. the violence is not in Israel, its in Palestine. And ofcourse Israel is a lovely country .. its all rich etc. Palestine is a shithole due to the Israeli occupation. Its a large slum, where over 60% earn less than a $ a day.
When we drove past it I don't mean I saw it from hundreds of miles away, it was in walking distance. My point is, I'm not saying there's no violence, I'm saying Israel isn't a danger zone, like most people think. People think that anyone goes is mad and brave because you will get blown up, but it's not like that at all. That's all I'm trying to say. I just want people to see both sides of the story, please.

Yes, jobs in Israel aren't very good either you know. You have to be very lucky to find a job in Israel, and even when you do, it's very bad pay.
gemgems89
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
And you are basing this on a school trip for however long...............
And my school trip was actually there!!! I didn't just see a picture on the tele, or some articles in the paper. I saw it myself!!!
thefish_uk
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
When we drove past it I don't mean I saw it from hundreds of miles away, it was in walking distance. My point is, I'm not saying there's no violence, I'm saying Israel isn't a danger zone, like most people think. People think that anyone goes is mad and brave because you will get blown up, but it's not like that at all. That's all I'm trying to say. I just want people to see both sides of the story, please.

Yes, jobs in Israel aren't very good either you know. You have to be very lucky to find a job in Israel, and even when you do, it's very bad pay.
Of course it isn't!

So what's with all these Jewish websites I went on looking for professionals to help move to Israel? The websites saying that any Jew who migrates there will get citizenship and full help finding jobs immediately?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (863)
80.28%
Leave (212)
19.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise