Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Dear all,
    I'd like to know that do you think designer goods, such as Gucci, Chanel and Dior, are worth the money, or are you paying for the name?

Worth. Every. Cent!

ReputationRep:
    Not really, no.

That said, if you have the money, and your income allows you to buy these designer clothes as a person of 'normal' salary would for non-designer stuff, i don't see any problems .

They are, more often than not, usually nicer looking, better materials etc.

ReputationRep:
    6 out of 10 times yes. MOST of them look good. And they last long too.

ReputationRep:
    No.

You pay for the brand not the good itself - which is stitched in a Bangladeshi sweatshop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chun4321)
    Dear all,
    I'd like to know that do you think designer goods, such as Gucci, Chanel and Dior, are worth the money, or are you paying for the name?
    Of course you're paying for the name.

Yeah they're good, but in terms of quality you could get a less known brand and pay a lot less.

But the designs can be nice and if you have the ££...

ReputationRep:
    nope. im happy with unbranded clothes/makeup/accessories. prefer to get more for my money, wouldnt want to spend ridiculous amounts of money on single items.

ReputationRep:
    If it's a case that the logo is very prominent (for the sake of being prominent), then that's a travesty.

ReputationRep:
    Hell no. I lol when people say "The quality is so good!!!" because I hate to break it to them, but it's usually made in the same sweatshops that stuff from New Look and Burton is. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Hell no. I lol when people say "The quality is so good!!!" because I hate to break it to them, but it's usually made in the same sweatshops that stuff from New Look and Burton is. :teehee:
    Proof?

ReputationRep:
    I bought a Van Heusen polo shirt because i liked the colour, pattern and the material. I then found out it doesn't stain easily (good for me as i wear my food a lot) and it doesn't need ironing. In my opinion this is worth paying a little more for. I didn't know much about the brand and i dont care to know more than how it will serve/look on me regardless of some Gok Wan figure try hard telling me its not in this season and i will look better in an Osaka 6 teeshirt or some other fashionista putting it down based on the brand alone.

Buy clothes you like, if you buy clothes everyone else wears and go to the same shops over and over then you lack a proper individual style and if you buy designer goods to flaunt the brand name then you are a moron who should be ridiculed for buying into this horrible artificial consumer bull**** world we live in.

The same thing can be said for anything from food to music to television to whatever IMO, its all out there and all you need to do is look to find what you like rather than having someone tell you what you should like.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, you should distinguish between designer and quality.

Some desginer clothing is mass-produced, synthetic rubbish. Other designer goods are extremely high-quality and luxury items.

If you buy a Lanvin suit, you'll certainly notice a difference in the quality of the fabric and cut of the suit (high thread counts, softer wool, more long-lasting material).

I think fashion houses e.g. Dior, Gucci, Dolce etc. tend to get caught up in the "fashion," and production of luxury and exclusivity exceeds the importance of quality. That said, the goods are certainly very high quality, but you're often paying for the label, the designer, the design, the luxury and the exclusivity. If that's what you want to pay for, then fine.... you can spend £600+ on a handbag.

In essence, I think that some designer goods are worth the money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chun4321)
    Dear all,
    I think it depends on what it is that you're buying.
    I usually buy Jasper Conran Jeans - Although they're pretty pricey, they work out better value for me because for one thing, they actually fit! (Normally stores assume that tall people are wider than everyone else..)
    Mainly though, I find that I get more wear from them than non branded ones which I would have to keep replacing. Yeah, they are cheap but if you have to keep buying them it can add up!

On the flip-side, there was a handbag that I really wanted but I couldn't justify paying around £80 for it (This was also JConran ) So, I had a look at some of the other handbags and noticed an 'unbranded' one that was otherwise identical for £25 :eek: Again you could argue about quality here but I'd already bought products from this other brand before and they had all been good buys so...

Oh just thought, perfume-wise I think that the majority of the time you are paying for the brand rather than the perfume itself but I guess taht's down to personal preference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krebs)
    No.

You pay for the brand not the good itself - which is stitched in a Bangladeshi sweatshop.
    What designers are you thinking of?

If you're talking about higher-end high street stores, then you'd be right, but fashion houses always make their couture items by hand and almost always make their off-the-peg items by hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baula)
    I think it depends on what it is that you're buying.
    I usually buy Jasper Conran Jeans - Although they're pretty pricey, they work out better value for me because for one thing, they actually fit! (Normally stores assume that tall people are wider than everyone else..)
    Mainly though, I find that I get more wear from them than non branded ones which I would have to keep replacing. Yeah, they are cheap but if you have to keep buying them it can add up!

On the flip-side, there was a handbag that I really wanted but I couldn't justify paying around £80 for it (This was also JConran ) So, I had a look at some of the other handbags and noticed an 'unbranded' one that was otherwise identical for £25 :eek: Again you could argue about quality here but I'd already bought products from this other brand before and they had all been good buys so...

Oh just thought, perfume-wise I think that the majority of the time you are paying for the brand rather than the perfume itself but I guess taht's down to personal preference.
    How is Jasper Conran designer?

Isn't it obvious that because you find it on the high street that it's a high street company.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt say all desginer goods are worth the money...but only things that are bought and kept for long term use are.

For something like a handbag or coat/jacket/jeans/ purse(which you'll wear quite a bit) it's okay....It's all about how it looks to me tbh, not eveyrthing looks great just because it's designer...you can equally get/make an outfit that looks better and is a lot cheaper.

I dont see the point in designer jewelry either (apart from watches)...unles you're going to wear the same few ones for every single outfit... I like choosing and wearing different things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Proof?
    Common sense. Brand labels like Dolce and Gabbana and Prada have been revealed to use sweatshops, hardly the luxurious impression they try to give of the clothes.
    http://www.ethicalshopping.com/cloth...shop-free.html
    Even in developed countries like Italy people are exploited. These things are mass-produced like anything else in the shops. You think they lovingly craft these things for days?

If anyone could afford them, they would not seem exclusive. It is the supposed status of having something expensive or "rare" that you are paying for. Not the quality.

Take this Dolce & Gabbana bag.

Selling for £719 reduced from £959.

Even if this bag used the finest leather, the maximum it would ever cost to make is £100. And that is very much a huge overestimate. So, okay. We'll roll with the quality idea and throw in another £100 for the supposed extra "quality" of it and a cheeky £100 pound profit to make it worth selling.

And...then what? What else are you paying the mysterious £419 for? Because of its status and the name.

I have an illustration that demonstrates people who believe that they are getting anything more with their wads of cash than the apparent perk of becoming a walking advertisement:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    You do realise real designer stuff is hand crafted .. by professionals.. right?.

Because you don't seem to realise that, so im going to ignore your whole post, because it's invalid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spazman21)
    How is Jasper Conran designer?

Isn't it obvious that because you find it on the high street that it's a high street company.
    On that basis to what extent can anything be considered designer? OP didn't really specify what should be designer ( clothes, makeup, accessories, etc...) You can buy Chanel items in the same stores that you can buy Jasper Conran Items.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.