Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think designer goods are worth the money? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    You do realise real designer stuff is hand crafted .. by professionals.. right?.

Because you don't seem to realise that, so im going to ignore your whole post, because it's invalid.
    More like you can't think of a way to refute it.

As you can see, OP is asking about designer brands like Gucci. Gucci do not lovingly make their products by hand, they use sweatshops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    More like you can't think of a way to refute it.

As you can see, OP is asking about designer brands like Gucci. Gucci do not lovingly make their products by hand, they use sweatshops.
    As you can see, the title says designer brands. Gucci is an example of one.. just because someone singles out one or more examples, does not mean we limit opinions or arguments to such examples.

So.. to the point, designer clothes are not made in the same 'way' as high street brands. That is a true statement. Some, as in the more high street designers, may do.

ReputationRep:
    As you can see, the title says designer brands. Gucci is an example of one.. just because someone singles out one or more examples, does not mean we limit opinions or arguments to such examples.

So.. to the point, designer clothes are not made in the same 'way' as high street brands. That is a true statement. Some, as in the more high street designers, may do.
    Can I just point out that even if it were made by hand, that would not add up to anywhere near prices like an excess of £419 for the hourly wages that a worker receives making a bag. It's called being ripped off, sucks to be you. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baula)
    On that basis to what extent can anything be considered designer? OP didn't really specify what should be designer ( clothes, makeup, accessories, etc...) You can buy Chanel items in the same stores that you can buy Jasper Conran Items.
    I think an effective and simple rule to use would be to say that designers create the fashion, whereas high-street stores copy it.

Designers are those you see parading their seasons collections down the runway.

ReputationRep:
    Can I just point out that even if it were made by hand, that would not add up to anywhere near prices like an excess of £419 for the hourly wages that a worker receives making a bag. It's called being ripped off, sucks to be you. :awesome:
    Sucks to be me why?

I don't buy designer clothes, can't afford it, no where did i state i did. Try reading before posting.

ReputationRep:
    Sucks to be me why?

I don't buy designer clothes, can't afford it, no where did i state i did. Try reading before posting.
    Believe me, it just does. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Believe me, it just does. :teehee:
    Nah, not really, bad attempt at humour

ReputationRep:
    I think the distinction needs to be made between designer goods and designer branded goods.

Designer goods are goods made by a designer. They're not your average shirts and jackets. They're the sort of clothes that famous models are parading on the catwalks, or the one-of-a-kind dresses that Angelina Jolie wears to the Oscars. They're very novel in design, and probably haven't penetrated mainstream culture. For this reason (and also because of the prices of such artwork), you won't see ordinary folk wearing them.

Designer branded goods are ordinary goods made by an ordinary manufacturer. However, the manufacturer pays a license fee to a designer, who in return permits the manufacturer to incorporate the designer label onto them, which increases its retail value. This is what you'll find in shops and outlet stores. Apart from the label, they're still ordinary shirts and t-shirts which still say "Made in Bangladesh" on them. (Check your clothes and see what it says on the inner label).

It's the difference between buying the actual Mona Lisa painted by Da Vinci, and buying an ordinary panting which just has Da Vinci's signature on it.

Physically speaking, designer branded goods are certainly not worth the money. Besides the label, there's no difference between a RL Polo t-shirt which was made in Bangladesh, and any other t-shirt made in a similar sweatshop. Contrary to misinformed belief, the fact that an item is designer labelled does not imply that it is of "better quality". It is also nonsensical to say "I like Gucci branded clothes because they are better fitting", since this "better fit" will not be unique to such clothes. There will be plenty of non-Gucci clothes with the same fit, and plenty of Gucci clothes with a different fits that don't suit you so much.

However, the real difference between designer branded clothes and unbranded clothes is the image associated with the label, and this accounts for the difference in price. Certain labels may carry certain images, or make particular statements, and people are often willing to pay for this. The person wearing Reebok shoes is probably from a different social group from a person wearing Lacoste shoes. Whether or not it's worth paying lots of money to emphasise this distinction is subjective; it depends how much you care about the way people perceive you when they see you on the street.

Are actual designer clothes worth the money? Well it depends. Some people make a substantial proportion their livelihoods based on their public images, and in many such cases, it probably is worth the money. But for the average person, £10,000 for a dress is probably a bit steep.

ReputationRep:
    Hell no. I lol when people say "The quality is so good!!!" because I hate to break it to them, but it's usually made in the same sweatshops that stuff from New Look and Burton is. :teehee:
    But that just isn't true is it? I have a penguin polo shirt that I have had for a couple of years and the fit is the same as when I bought it. I bought two of the burton ones last year when they got popular and I only wore them two or three times and they were completely maimed and ill-fitting. High street clothes are nothing on branded clothing, simple as that. They do not have the durability and quality. You can feel the difference, 100%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spikeooa)
    But that just isn't true is it? I have a penguin polo shirt that I have had for a couple of years and the fit is the same as when I bought it. I bought two of the burton ones last year when they got popular and I only wore them two or three times and they were completely maimed and ill-fitting. High street clothes are nothing on branded clothing, simple as that. They do not have the durability and quality. You can feel the difference, 100%.
    I have actually never had any item of clothing I've owned fall apart or become misshapen in any way. (One exception, a Primark dress that ran in the wash, but then that's Primark.) I really wonder what some people to do their clothes to have them fall apart, seriously. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    I have actually never had any item of clothing I've owned fall apart or become misshapen in any way. (One exception, a Primark dress that ran in the wash, but then that's Primark.) I really wonder what some people to do their clothes to have them fall apart, seriously. :lolwut:
    Of course they don't fall apart haha. There is a difference to a piece of clothing from when it is new, to when it has been washed a couple of times. This is when you start to see the difference. I keep my designer clothes for years. High street t-shirts and jeans come and go within a month or two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I think the distinction needs to be made between designer goods and designer branded goods.

Designer goods are goods made by a designer. They're not going to be your average shirt or jacket. They'll be the kind of things that famous models are parading on the catwalks, or the one-of-a-kind dresses that Angelina Jolie wears to the Oscars. They're often very novel, and have not penetrated mainstream culture. For this reason (and also because of the prices of such artwork), ordinary folk will not be wearing them.
    Designer branded goods are just normal goods made by a normal manufacturer. However, they pay a license fee to a designer, who in return gives the manufacturer permission to stick the designer label onto it, which enables them to sell it for more money. This is what you find in shops and outlet stores. Apart from the label, they're still ordinary shirts and t-shirts which still say "Made in Bangladesh" on them.

It's the difference between buying the actual Mona Lisa painted by Da Vinci, and buying an ordinary panting which just has Da Vinci's signature on it.

Physically speaking, designer branded goods are certainly not worth the money; besides the label, there's no difference between a RL Polo t-shirt which was made in Bangladesh, and any other t-shirt made in a similar sweatshop. Contrary to misinformed belief, the fact that it's designer labelled does not necessarily imply that it's "better quality". It is also nonsensical to say "I like Gucci branded clothes because they are better fitting", since this "better fit" will not be unique to such clothes.
    However, the reason it costs more is because many people are willing to pay for the image associated with the label. This is the only real difference between designer branded clothes and unbranded clothes. Certain labels are often considered to carry certain images, or make particular statements. Whether or not this is worth paying lots of money for is subjective; it depends how much you care about the way people perceive you when they see you on the street.

Are actual designer clothes worth the money? Well it depends. Some people make a substantial proportion their livelihoods based on their public images, and in many such cases, it probably is worth the money. But for the average person, £10,000 for a dress is probably a bit steep.
    Great post +1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spikeooa)
    It may be that you happen to have an item of branded clothing that lasted longer than an item of unbranded clothing. But this does not mean that it lasted longer because of the branding.
    To provide a reverse example: I have a Ralph Lauren jumper which has deteriorated much more quickly than some of my unbranded jumpers.

The quality of clothing isn't dependent on whether or not they carry a particular label. Branded or not, the fact is that some clothes will last longer than others. Sometimes the branded clothes will last longer, and sometimes the unbranded clothes will last longer. There is no rule that says it will always (or even mostly) be the branded clothes which last longer.

If your white t-shirt doesn't last as long as your black t-shirt, surely you won't then start claiming that black clothes are of better quality?

ReputationRep:
    Hell yes!! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Well if it looks good, why the **** not? If you've got the money to spend and don't have financial 'issues' then there's nothing wrong with it. But if you're only interested in the brand name and would got for anything so long as it has the name on it then you're an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    An interesting Wikipedia extract which echoes what I was saying in post #28:

When talking about designer clothing, the highly creative, expensive (and often outlandish and unwearable) creations of top fashion designers are rarely what is meant.

Rather, 'designer clothing' is typically used to describe clothing that was not designed or made by the top fashion luminary, but bears their name due to a licensing agreement the designer has entered into with a mass market apparel manufacturer.

These agreements allow manufacturers of commodity apparel items to sell their wares at a premium price due to the cachet the designer's name; and provide the designer with another income stream.

The quality of the clothing, and resemblance (or lack thereof) to the designer's work vary considerably depending on the licensee, and the terms of the agreement the designer has struck. Some terms of these agreements may include limits on the number of styles of different types of garments that may be produced, or a final approval clause allowing the designer to veto any designs they find unappealing.

ReputationRep:
    Hell no. I lol when people say "The quality is so good!!!" because I hate to break it to them, but it's usually made in the same sweatshops that stuff from New Look and Burton is. :teehee:
    I'd like to know why you say that? I think the clothes of famous brand have good quality. That's why the clothes cost so much. Isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chun4321)
    I'd like to know why you say that? I think the clothes of famous brand have good quality. That's why the clothes cost so much. Isn't it?
    No, it's because people think they have more street cred if they're seen wearing expensive labelled clothes, so they're willing to pay more for it.

Look at it this way: If David Beckham signs my football, I'd probably be able to sell that football for thousands of pounds. It's not because it's "better quality" than an unsigned, but otherwise identical football. It's just because some people think it's cool to have a football signed by David Beckham, and are therefore willing to pay lots for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by failingatm)
    Well if it looks good, why the **** not? If you've got the money to spend and don't have financial 'issues' then there's nothing wrong with it. But if you're only interested in the brand name and would got for anything so long as it has the name on it then you're an idiot.
    I agree what you said, I saw that many girls like to buy thing just with brand names for being fashion.

:lolwut: pretty sure that my Gucci and D&G clothes are hand(?) made in italy... not some primark sweatshop.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.