Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think designer goods are worth the money? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't believe in them being hand made, most of them as they would have millions of products the same, especially the bags. But I would still pay for one, I think they're worth it Yeah you're paying for the label but I still would! A Prada/Gucci/Chloe handbag is on my list for when I get a 'real' job! I haven't seen anything I'd buy lately though...

ReputationRep:
    Worth the money? No. But I'd rather pay extra and get something I'd be happy with, and companies know most people think like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    It is also nonsensical to say "I like Gucci branded clothes because they are better fitting", since this "better fit" will not be unique to such clothes.
    Ok, I'm willing to admit that I didn't realise there was a difference between designer branded and 'actual' designer goods but I have to disagree with your comment here ^ The only jeans that I have come across so far that actually fit me perfectly are 'designer branded' Most other brands that I have tried assume that if you're tall, your broader too and so buying clothes is a bit of a nightmare

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baula)
    Ok, I'm willing to admit that I didn't realise there was a difference between designer branded and 'actual' designer goods but I have to disagree with your comment here ^ The only jeans that I have come across so far that actually fit me perfectly are 'designer branded' Most other brands that I have tried assume that if you're tall, your broader too and so buying clothes is a bit of a nightmare
    I'm not saying that all jeans have the same fit, or anything like that. Jeans come in all sorts of different cuts and fits.

It may well be that you happened to find designer branded jeans which fit you perfectly. However what I'm saying is that, it isn't because of the designer brand that the jeans fit you. As I said, designer branded clothes are literally just normal clothes with a label sewn onto them.

Even though you may not have found them yet, it's extremely likely that there are many unbranded jeans which are of exactly the same size and fit. It's also extremely likely that there are designer branded jeans from the same designer which are not of the correct fit.

Jeans come in all sorts of different cuts and fits. The fact that you happen to have found a type that fits you which is designer branded doesn't say anything about designer brands per se. As I said to someone else; if the jeans you found happened to be black, it doesn't mean black jeans are better, or better fitting. It just so happens that the ones you found were branded.

ReputationRep:
    Fashion is tacky, style is awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chun4321)
    Dear all,
    I'd like to know that do you think designer goods, such as Gucci, Chanel and Dior, are worth the money, or are you paying for the name?
    It's called premium pricing, a standard pricing technique. get over it.

ReputationRep:
    Not a chance.

Some functional things might be, I got a genuine swissarmy knife and the chinese knockoffs are nothing compared to the real thing.

But some sunglasses?? I have £5 sunglasses from Tesco and they're fine they're not automatically better just because they have Gucci on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popple7)
    nope. im happy with unbranded clothes/makeup/accessories. prefer to get more for my money, wouldnt want to spend ridiculous amounts of money on single items.
    lol... you do realise that since they're designer, they're purposely priced higher?

If you all are as learned as you say, how come you don't know of different pricing strategy or premium brands?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    lol... you do realise that since they're designer, they're purposely priced higher?

If you all are as learned as you say, how come you don't know of different pricing strategy or premium brands?
    yeah...hence me saying i prefer unbranded stuff? obvs designer stuff is priced at a premium. goes without saying... that's the point of this whole thread, to discuss whether its worth the premium.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what designer and how nice the goods are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popple7)
    yeah...hence me saying i prefer unbranded stuff? obvs designer stuff is priced at a premium. goes without saying... that's the point of this whole thread, to discuss whether its worth the premium.
    If people wish to pay the premium, that's their own business. Who are you or anybody else to say otherwise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chun4321)
    Dear all,
    I'd like to know that do you think designer goods, such as Gucci, Chanel and Dior, are worth the money, or are you paying for the name?
    Not only they are worth the money you pay, they are also good for the environment. See the article “Louis Vuitton seduces China” in my site.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but I wouldn't want to step foot in Primark, never mind buy clothing for there and ACTUALLY wear it.

My girlfriend's bag from there broke yesterday, copy of a Paul's boutique, she's only had it for a few months. I looked at the ripped material and it looked like it was held together with some sort of cardboard material and a stapler.

I don't see how you are a walking advertisement when you wear designer goods, surely that is the same with ANY clothes you wear? As you are advertising those clothes.

The mantra, buy cheap buy twice is an accurate one. You actually save money by buying something that actually is of a good quality and that'll last a few years, that maybe you can even sell again for a good price, than cheap but at the same time overpriced rubbish which will break/fade/lose shape/rip after a few wears and then you'll have to buy some more again.

It's like people who have started wearing those cheap nylon varsity jackets with some cheap cardboard jeans and disgusting market trainers, trying to jump on the bandwagon of a trend, but it looks TERRIBLE. And then ruins the look in everyone's eyes forever, designer brands make nice looking clothes and then high street shops will ruin it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    If people wish to pay the premium, that's their own business. Who are you or anybody else to say otherwise?
    but not everyone shares that opinion. that's why its being discussed in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    yes!not just because they're a "brand" though they're just better than the horrific offerings from places like primark and riverisland
    plus designer cosmetics are a million times better

ReputationRep:
    Designer items are meant to last. They don't break with tear an wear; that's why they are regarded as environmentally friendly.

You give a positive contribution to the environment every time you buy one instead of a cheap one that will break easily and will need to be replaced.

ReputationRep:
    Duh, obviously not.

ReputationRep:
    No, and I have no respect for spoilt little idiots who waste money on this crap when there are people starving to death in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    No, and I have no respect for spoilt little idiots who waste money on this crap when there are people starving to death in the world.
    Who is to say these 'spoilt little idiots' don't give any money to charity or help in anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    You could say that about anyone who doesn't adopt a utilitarian philosophy. It's quite a weak criticism.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.