Turn on thread page Beta

Do you think designer goods are worth the money? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clo-clo1)
    Who is to say these 'spoilt little idiots' don't give any money to charity or help in anyway?
    Charity? Seriously?

(Original post by whyumadtho)
    You could say that about anyone who doesn't adopt a utilitarian philosophy. It's quite a weak criticism.
    Why? Perfectly valid, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Just be honest, you wouldn’t have thought that brands like Louis Vuitton (designer) unlike brands like River Island (cheap) are helping out against starvation in the world. You didn’t even know about it. Did you?

Well they do because they don’t support consumerism and exploitation. They don’t break easily and therefore don’t abuse the Earth’s natural resources, which include its capability of producing food.

Read the article Louis Vuitton Seduces China to find out about the position that high fashion design companies take towards the environments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    Charity? Seriously?
    Yes seriously, thats why I said it.

You have nothing but the minimum do you? Give everything else away?

Fair enough if you do but I highly doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    Charity? Seriously?

Why? Perfectly valid, tbh.
    There is no objective measure of value. The starving child may suggest somebody who owns more than one piece of footwear or one jumper is a 'spoilt little brat who wastes money on crap.' Where do you differentiate between waste and necessity?

ReputationRep:
    There is no objective measure of value. The starving child may suggest somebody who owns more than one piece of footwear or one jumper is a 'spoilt little brat who wastes money on crap.' Where do you differentiate between waste and necessity?
    Common sense, perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    Common sense, perhaps?
    Objectively define 'common sense' so a difference can be drawn between waste and necessity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clo-clo1)
    Yes seriously, thats why I said it.

You have nothing but the minimum do you? Give everything else away?

Fair enough if you do but I highly doubt it.
    Charity exists to make spoilt Westerners feel better about themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Objectively define 'common sense' so a difference can be drawn between waste and necessity.
    Hahahaha... where the hell did you come from, seriously?

You know damn well there's a world of difference between people who live sparingly, with some degree of empathy for others, and those who live like kings, spending thousands on a diamond ring or sports car.

Somewhere in between is Generation A, brought up to expect mobile phones, computer games etc. as if they were necessities. They're not.

Grant everyone in the world a fair level of living before splashing out on crap we don't need. Guarantee there would be less crime, wars, death.

ReputationRep:
    if it is an investment...
    something to be used on special occasions and enjoyed it is most definately worth it irregular choice shoes would be my thing here...i love them, i am in love with them. they are amazing. though i have to admit now they are available on the high street and in next i have gone of them a little.... only worth paying that much for a pair of shoes if none of your friends are going to have them!! have taken to designing my own now though (A)

but alot of the time no its a waste of money, its just paying for a name...

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    Hahahaha... where the hell did you come from, seriously?

You know damn well there's a world of difference between people who live sparingly, with some degree of empathy for others, and those who live like kings, spending thousands on a diamond ring or sports car.

Somewhere in between is Generation A, brought up to expect mobile phones, computer games etc. as if they were necessities. They're not.

Grant everyone in the world a fair level of living before splashing out on crap we don't need. Guarantee there would be less crime, wars, death.
    Isn't everyone who doesn't live under a utilitarian philosophy culpable for global poverty in equal measure? Why do you suggest the rich are inherently amoral? Spending grants the distribution of money and the recipient benefits. Do you see spending as superfluous only when on a single item? Is the person who owns designer clothes and gives to charity unconditionally worse than the individual who lives 'sparingly' with unbranded clothes and gives nothing?

You still haven't established an objective division between waste and necessity. Designer clothes may be necessary to confirm to a certain class of society or to feel accepted somewhere, just as technology may be needed for a certain job role or to communicate efficiently. What is extravagant spending to you may be seen as normal to wealthier people, just as an individual poorer than those you describe as spending sparingly may see areas where money is being wasted.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't everyone who doesn't live under a utilitarian philosophy culpable for global poverty in equal measure? Why do you suggest the rich are inherently amoral? Spending grants the distribution of money and the recipient benefits. Do you see spending as superfluous only when on a single item? Is the person who owns designer clothes and gives to charity unconditionally worse than the individual who lives 'sparingly' with unbranded clothes and gives nothing?

You still haven't established an objective division between waste and necessity. Designer clothes may be necessary to confirm to a certain class of society or to feel accepted somewhere, just as technology may be needed for a certain job role or to communicate efficiently. What is extravagant spending to you may be seen as normal to wealthier people, just as an individual poorer than those you describe as spending sparingly may see areas where money is being wasted.
    You're a moron, without any shred of understanding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    You're a moron, without any shred of understanding.
    Care to construct a relevant counter-argument?

ReputationRep:
    Care to construct a relevant counter-argument?
    Erm, it'd be wasted on you. Classic TSR type: spoilt middle class brat who's read a book on capitalism, and doesn't want their cosy little life to go down the drain.

One day you'll see what the real world looks like, kid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    Erm, it'd be wasted on you. Classic TSR type: spoilt middle class brat who's read a book on capitalism, and doesn't want their cosy little life to go down the drain.

One day you'll see what the real world looks like, kid.
    Ad hominem born of an unsubstantiated presupposition of my background. Please argue against my point instead of the unverified qualities of the proponent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    Charity exists to make spoilt Westerners feel better about themselves.
    I'll take that as a no to my question then.

Many 'spoilt westerners' may use charity to feel good but it's not only 'spoilt' people who use charity to feel good.

ReputationRep:
    Ad hominem born of an unsubstantiated presupposition of my background. Please argue against my point instead of the unverified qualities of the proponent.
    No one really talks like this. Get your nose out of textbooks and enter the real world.

And you have no point... seriously.

ReputationRep:
    No. Your just paying for the label.

Saying that though It is nice to have that one special piece of clothing/accessory. Something that is worth a fair bit of money. It is just nice to have something for special occasions. I don't have this btw and I think I never will because when it comes to parting with the money I don't think I could do it haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rant)
    No one really talks like this. Get your nose out of textbooks and enter the real world.

And you have no point... seriously.
    Is the strength of my point influenced by the style of communication? Please stop making ad hominem retorts. If you have trouble understanding what I am saying, let me know and I'll reword my point. I have made a point and am awaiting a counter-argument. If you feel I have no point please explain your reasoning behind that statement.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.