Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Euromillions £117,000,000 rollover. What would you do if you won? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The Euromillions has rolled over again and this friday people will be looking for a claim of the £117 million jackpot. What would you do if you won?!

For me that amount of money is ridiculous, its so much more than you're ever going to need. If it was me id buy a small cottage in the country side, £500,000 to £1,000,000 and then get a really good car around £200,000 maybe and a few holidays here and there with the lads, but whats that? Like 115 million left? its just crazy, you could easily pull in £10 million a year in interest if you invested it. I think I would have to hive most of it away, as cliched as it sounds there are people far worse off than me that need it more, and money certainly doesn't buy you happiest. I think the hardest thing to adapt to would be knowing if people genuinely wanted to be your friend or partner for you or your money, so giving a lot of it away seems like the sensible option.

What would you do? Realistically if you won £117 million this friday? Would you tell anyone? Would you throw a massive party and crack out the dom perignan? Go on lets here your views...

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably pay off all my family's mortgages and just keep it to the family for a while, obviously give them a bit more money for a new house if they wanted, just basically whatever they wanted. Once I've finished at Uni for the year which I'd have to do, I still want a good degree no matter how much money I have. Then book a holiday to New York for 2 weeks then onto Canada, just basically travel all the summer.

I'd probably think about donating £50m to charity, £50m in savings so I can eventually give more, £17m on houses and holidays and crap for the rest of my life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FreakyStyley)
    I'd probably pay off all my family's mortgages and just keep it to the family for a while, obviously give them a bit more money for a new house if they wanted, just basically whatever they wanted. Once I've finished at Uni for the year which I'd have to do, I still want a good degree no matter how much money I have. Then book a holiday to New York for 2 weeks then onto Canada, just basically travel all the summer.

I'd probably think about donating £50m to charity, £50m in savings so I can eventually give more, £17m on houses and holidays and crap for the rest of my life?
    :five:

ReputationRep:
    1) Dance like this -> :jebus:

2) Start wearing clothes such as -> :top2:

3) Buy myself a Noonoo -> :noonoo:

4) Invest in DNA research and cloning techniques to make myself a genuine pink dancing elephant like this one -> :elefant:

5) Fund a search party for a real life leprechaun -> :lep:

6) Rent the Tardis for a while from the Doctor :tardis:

7) Buy a ticket for all the sporting event finals and opening/closing ceremonies of the Olympics :2012:

8) Employ a personal jester -> :jester:

9) Sign a deal with ARK Music Factory :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    The interesting question is whether you'd opt for the Annuity or lump sum. I assume the lump sum is the present value of the annuity. Personally, I'd choose the annuity.

ReputationRep:
    I would find out about prenuptials immediately and then aquire a trophy wife and have many mistresses.

I would probably be a **** but prenup is a must. Women are leeches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggillystyle)
    The Euromillions has rolled over again and this friday people will be looking for a claim of the £117 million jackpot. What would you do if you won?!

For me that amount of money is ridiculous, its so much more than you're ever going to need. If it was me id buy a small cottage in the country side, £500,000 to £1,000,000 and then get a really good car around £200,000 maybe and a few holidays here and there with the lads, but whats that? Like 115 million left? its just crazy, you could easily pull in £10 million a year in interest if you invested it. I think I would have to hive most of it away, as cliched as it sounds there are people far worse off than me that need it more, and money certainly doesn't buy you happiest. I think the hardest thing to adapt to would be knowing if people genuinely wanted to be your friend or partner for you or your money, so giving a lot of it away seems like the sensible option.

What would you do? Realistically if you won £117 million this friday? Would you tell anyone? Would you throw a massive party and crack out the dom perignan? Go on lets here your views...
    Buy a small country and become a dictator.

ReputationRep:
    Buy Arsenal, spend the remaining 10 quid on another lotto ticket.

ReputationRep:
    houses in several different countries
    lots of luxurious cars
    help all lots of friends and family
    donate to charity
    savings.

the idea of winning the lottery gets me through most of my days! i've had lots of time to think.

ps. would make sure i had a dyson airblade (those awesome hand dryers) in my bathroom!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go on a spending spree. I'd save most of it. Just use it on what I really wanted.

In no particular order:
    Education
    House
    Give to family and friends
    Holiday.
    Charity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    I wouldn't go on a spending spree. I'd save most of it. Just use it on what I really wanted.

In no particular order:
    Education
    House
    Give to family and friends
    Holiday.
    Charity
    Save!? You realise with that money, there is no way you would lose it, so a saving mentality would be stupid (unless you bought the most high-end ridiculous things). The interest alone would be madness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountMancula)
    Save!? You realise with that money, there is no way you would lose it, so a saving mentality would be stupid (unless you bought the most high-end ridiculous things). The interest alone would be madness.
    I have no idea how much 117 million Euro is, lol. Norway isn't a member of the EU. But I guess it's a lot? But yes, I would save. I see no reason to go on a spending spree. Though I would use money on the things I mentioned.
    I would sit down and discuss the money with people who knew what they were doing. Have a meeting with a bank or whatever. I would carefully plan things. I don't like spending money in general.

After everything was settled. I'd probably use more money though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    I have no idea how much 117 million Euro is, lol. Norway isn't a member of the EU. But I guess it's a lot? But yes, I would save. I see no reason to go on a spending spree. Though I would use money on the things I mentioned.
    I would sit down and discuss the money with people who knew what they were doing. Have a meeting with a bank or whatever. I would carefully plan things. I don't like spending money in general.

After everything was settled. I'd probably use more money though.
    Yeah it's a lot lol. Yeah I would be careful, but even if you left it in the bank doing nothing, you would probably get around £12,000 a day in interest, so your wealth would increase all the time.

To be rich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountMancula)
    Yeah it's a lot lol. Yeah I would be careful, but even if you left it in the bank doing nothing, you would probably get around £12,000 a day in interest, so your wealth would increase all the time.

To be rich.

Indeed .

Of course, I would spend money. But I wouldn't be "HELL YES! LET'S SPEND IT ALL!"
    I'd be very careful. Like I said, spending money is not something I like. One of the reasons I'm not a fan of shopping, haha. But I do it if I must.

ReputationRep:
    Squirrel enough away to live comfortably off the interest.

Get a new place.

Give some to family.

Give some to friends.

Give some to charity.

New wardrobe, and a new wardrobe.

A new car, or two.

To be honest though it is the sort of thing that you can only really know for sure after it has occurred.

Obscene wealth has strange effects on people.

ReputationRep:
    Give to the charities that promote world peace and end to poverty.

lol jk. I'd buy loads of alcohol, a few cars, a house or two for me and my parents, give some to my parents, a huge tv, ps3 and xbox 360, loads of games, go to the USA and Canada for the summer and stay in a 5* hotel, give some to charities (or better, try to help the less unfortunate directly), pay back my friends' overdrafts, donate to small local sports clubs and schools, open a store or a club or something... I think I've run out of ideas.

ReputationRep:
    I feel that I'm long overdue, I haven't even won £6.80 in my 30+ attempts.

I'd buy a house in Central Europe (£3 million+) and take several trips during my upcoming gap year to Eastern Europe/USA and Australia. Other than that, I wouldn't know what to do with it - save it, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    1) Holiday to Barbados 1 month
    2) Build my own mansion somewhere in America/ While also owning many houses around the world.
    3) Splash on expensive cars/Jewels/clothing and just general wealth to rub it in to everyone else.
    4) Sort close I mean close friends out with a few £££ to set them up nicely
    5) Save the rest, Invest it for children when I'm much older.

And not a penny of it to charity

ReputationRep:
    1) Create my own recording studio/s
    2) House, cars, clothing etc.
    3) Share with family and selected friends
    4) Live life

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.