Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I am an international student (USA) and I've applied for entry for Autumn 2011. I've already gone through the application process and have received all of my offers:

Reading x 2 - Conditional
    Liverpool - Unsuccessful
    Exeter x 2 - Unconditional

(I applied to two different programs from both Reading and Exeter as I like the modules that were offered for the courses (History/Intl'Relations).)

I'm a bit baffled as to why I received an unsuccessful from Liverpool - I seemed to have fulfilled all of the requirements for the course that I applied too, and then some. I provided my HS transcripts, ACT scores, and a transcript from my first year and a half of study at a US university. I believe that I actually fulfilled the requirements for two separate paths to entry (first year of study and great HS marks/test scores).

I don't want to seem like that little kid in the corner whining over it, but is it appropriate to contact the school and ask why I was not given an offer and/or plead my case. I just really want to know why they made the decision they made.

I honestly think that maybe there was a misunderstanding and their decision was a mistake. Are mistakes like this unheard of (especially being an international student)? Would they change their decision if a mistake was made?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well this isn't at all arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    They won't change it. Even massively overqualified students get rejected from courses, its at the uni's discretion.

ReputationRep:
    Hundreds of over qualified student get rejected by all kinds of unis for all courses every year. Get over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmsmith)
    Hey guys,

I am an international student (USA) and I've applied for entry for Autumn 2011. I've already gone through the application process and have received all of my offers:

Reading x 2 - Conditional
    Liverpool - Unsuccessful
    Exeter x 2 - Unconditional

(I applied to two different programs from both Reading and Exeter as I like the modules that were offered for the courses (History/Intl'Relations).)

I'm a bit baffled as to why I received an unsuccessful from Liverpool - I seemed to have fulfilled all of the requirements for the course that I applied too, and then some. I provided my HS transcripts, ACT scores, and a transcript from my first year and a half of study at a US university. I believe that I actually fulfilled the requirements for two separate paths to entry (first year of study and great HS marks/test scores).

I don't want to seem like that little kid in the corner whining over it, but is it appropriate to contact the school and ask why I was not given an offer and/or plead my case. I just really want to know why they made the decision they made.

I honestly think that maybe there was a misunderstanding and their decision was a mistake. Are mistakes like this unheard of (especially being an international student)? Would they change their decision if a mistake was made?

Thanks
    It might be your personal statement. I don't know the application process of international students in detail, but if yours also included a personal statement, it might be that. You can get the best grades and still get rejected because of your personal statement.

And ermm, in some cases they might change it from unsuccessful. It happened to me last year for some reason and it was UCL as well. They gave me unsuccessful first and then changed it to conditional. Just a shame I didn't manage to get the condition to go there. But I didn't contact them or anything. It was entirely their own decision. Probably they did some mistake or something. I didn't ask them for obvious reason because I was just happy about it at that stage.

But this is very unlikely to happen.

ReputationRep:
    You've nothing to lose in contacting them. I say go for it.

I rang Durham when I got rejected and they changed their minds and gave me an offer.

ReputationRep:
    can you phone them as a way to beg them to let you in if you really want to get into Liverpool, or write a sounding letter to convince the admission tutor.

ReputationRep:
    Well this isn't at all arrogant.
    It is my future - I don't want to just let this go so easily.

ReputationRep:
    All I wanted to know is if its appropriate to contact them and ask for a reason. I understand tons of people get rejected - I would just like to know why, as it doesn't say on UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmsmith)
    All I wanted to know is if its appropriate to contact them and ask for a reason. I understand tons of people get rejected - I would just like to know why, as it doesn't say on UCAS.
    You can request feedback, but it will come across rude if you ask if you come across begging for an offer

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.