The Student Room Group

Revising Geography GCSE

Does anyone know how to revise geography GCSE as my exam is in 2 months time and i am really keen to get an A/A* grade.

Do i need to know the facts and then the case studies or do i just start with the case studies?

Also, can you tell me which case studies do i need to study so that i can get a good mark as i am doing AQA. :confused:

The topics i am doing in Geog are: the restless earth, water on the land, coastal zone, development gap, tourism and population change???
Learn all the locations for case study.
Everything else is common sense. Got me A*
Original post by hydrabow333
Does anyone know how to revise geography GCSE as my exam is in 2 months time and i am really keen to get an A/A* grade.

Do i need to know the facts and then the case studies or do i just start with the case studies?

Also, can you tell me which case studies do i need to study so that i can get a good mark as i am doing AQA. :confused:

The topics i am doing in Geog are: the restless earth, water on the land, coastal zone, development gap, tourism and population change???

I am doing the first highlighted two, and did the tourism bit in the Human Geography paper last year.

Advice: learn the case studies alongside the facts. You need to know the facts for pretty much every question, and without the case studies you won't get many marks on the longer questions. If you learn them together (like when you learn one topic, relate it to a case study) it makes it easier to understand/remember. You probably don't need all the case studies, but tbh there aren't that many and most of them are pretty simple (i.e in the physical geog, they're just examples of where geography event X took place or where there are plate margins, and the human geog, well you can make them up, as the facts apply to loads of places not just the ones in the book).

(Also, AQA Geog is not hard, it's mostly common sense, especially for the tourism topic, and I'd imagine the others are pretty similar...:h:)
(edited 13 years ago)
AQA Specification B by any chance? If so, PM me and I'll give you some detailed notes...
Reply 4
Original post by rofflewaffle
I am doing the first highlighted two, and did the tourism bit in the Human Geography paper last year.

Advice: learn the case studies alongside the facts. You need to know the facts for pretty much every question, and without the case studies you won't get many marks on the longer questions. If you learn them together (like when you learn one topic, relate it to a case study) it makes it easier to understand/remember. You probably don't need all the case studies, but tbh there aren't that many and most of them are pretty simple (i.e in the physical geog, they're just examples of where geography event X took place or where there are plate margins, and the human geog, well you can make them up, as the facts apply to loads of places not just the ones in the book).

What case studies do you recommend??? I am thinking for the restless earth doing Mt St Helens, Sichuan quake, and the recent Japanese Tsunami one?
Reply 5
Yh. I've already got one. So I am going to revise and use other revision books to help me access the higher marks.
Hi. im doing the same exams, but im doing The Living World, instead of Water On Land. I will be also using the cgp gcse revision book to revise from.

Is writing out the revision text as your own easier way to revise? I heard that if u copy and write it down yourself it gets to ur memory easier as well as it being your own writing? Im thinking of revising like this, but it will be long to write each section on my own. Learn all case studies, easy to remeber and GOOD LUCK :smile:
Reply 7
Case studies are different for each school, as it doesn't specifically say in the markscheme which ones to use. So use the ones your teacher told you to, cause they'll make most sense to you.

To revise the casestudies I just used lots of colour, and made little case study cards that I carried around in my pocket to read at bus stops etc.

And the rest of it really is common sense. As long as you can read a map and empathise with the harsh conditions other people live in around the world. I got an A* last year on the WJEC course.
sorry for hijacking the thread but does anyone have case studies pdf they can share?
My geo teacher in yr10 was terrible (changed in yr11) and I need good notes on Water on the land and Coastal zone

thanks
Reply 9
Original post by Gromit94
Case studies are different for each school, as it doesn't specifically say in the markscheme which ones to use. So use the ones your teacher told you to, cause they'll make most sense to you.

To revise the casestudies I just used lots of colour, and made little case study cards that I carried around in my pocket to read at bus stops etc.

And the rest of it really is common sense. As long as you can read a map and empathise with the harsh conditions other people live in around the world. I got an A* last year on the WJEC course.

Hey, im on the WJEC course as well and find it quite hard !
How do you summarise all these big chunky notes into smaller case study cards ?
Also do you know of anywhere i can get past papers ???
Thank you :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by ShinyT
Hey, im on the WJEC course as well and find it quite hard !
How do you summarise all these big chunky notes into smaller case study cards ?
Also do you know of anywhere i can get past papers ???
Thank you :smile:

Categorise them. Use the same titles for each one. Eg. on the flood ones I wrote Date, Causes, Effects, Social Consequences, Economic Consequences. That way you can condense the information quite easily. Don't use excessive words, and try and keep it brief with just the main point you want.

That kind of thing :smile:

Sorry I don't know about past papers. I took this exam 2 years ago now so it's probably all changed!

Good Luck! :smile:
Reply 11
Categorise them. Use the same titles for each one. Eg. on the flood ones I wrote Date, Causes, Effects, Social Consequences, Economic Consequences. That way you can condense the information quite easily. Don't use excessive words, and try and keep it brief with just the main point you want.

That kind of thing :smile:

Sorry I don't know about past papers. I took this exam 2 years ago now so it's probably all changed!

Good Luck! :smile:

Oh right i need to work on the brief part :tongue: Thanks :smile:
and not to worry but if you know of where i could get even the old ones, then please tell me, because i've checked before and their quite similar !
Thank youuu :smile: and i shall give the notes another try :smile: xx
I just did past papers and made the case studies up and I got an A. I'm pretty sure if I had memorised the case studies properly then I could of easily achieved an A*. :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by ShinyT
Oh right i need to work on the brief part :tongue: Thanks :smile:
and not to worry but if you know of where i could get even the old ones, then please tell me, because i've checked before and their quite similar !
Thank youuu :smile: and i shall give the notes another try :smile: xx

My teacher just had photocopies of them; have you tried asking yours? :smile:
Reply 14
My teacher just had photocopies of them; have you tried asking yours? :smile:

Well she doesn't usually give us actual papers but I might need to ask !
I am doing landscape from the past, rock types (igneous rock) physical process in the landscape people in the landscape, river process in the upper course river valley in the upper course, river and valley in the middle course. I am doing Edexcel B. Sorry if its too much can still help me though?

Quick Reply

Latest