Turn on thread page Beta

Warning! All you do with computer is stored forever in your hard disk watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delaney)
    This is wrong.

You have some kind of Scareware installed on your computer. Download Microsoft Security Essentials (http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/) and Malwarebytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/) and run scans with both of these programs. If these scans do not find anything you will need to start your computer in Safe Mode by turning it off then turning it back on again and hit F8 until you're asked how you want to start Windows. Safe Mode doesn't allow you to connect to the internet but it also stops any crap the virus has loaded from running.

trust me im tech support
    Thanks. I have malwarebytes up and running now, and am downloading microsoft security essentials right about now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkFriday)
    Thanks. It worked until I logged off and logged back on again. Then it just went back to how it was before. I think it's a pretty bad virus...
    don't just click 'ok'. make sure you click apply. Try AVG free antivirus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaz1992)
    don't just click 'ok'. make sure you click apply. Try AVG free antivirus.
    Common misconception - the apply button just applies the settings but keeps the box open incase you want to change something else. The OK button applies the settings and then closes the box.

ReputationRep:
    save ****, format, install some decent programs, profit.

ReputationRep:
    This is wrong.

You have some kind of Scareware installed on your computer. Download Microsoft Security Essentials (http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/) and Malwarebytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/) and run scans with both of these programs. If these scans do not find anything you will need to start your computer in Safe Mode by turning it off then turning it back on again and hit F8 until you're asked how you want to start Windows. Safe Mode doesn't allow you to connect to the internet but it also stops any crap the virus has loaded from running.

trust me im tech support

I just downloaded microsoft security essentials but when I right clicked on the desktop link > run as > my name under user name on the drop down link > a pop up box came up that said "logon account failure: user account restriction. Possible reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions, or a policy restriction has been enforced."
    Not sure what to do... :/

ReputationRep:
    Got my computer back after my brother borrowed it - internet history deleted and this on my desktop:

WARNING YOUR'RE IN DANGER! YOUR COMPUTER IS INFECTED WITH SPYWARE!" on your desktop followed by something like "ALL YOU DO WITH COMPUTER IS STORED FOREVER IN YOUR HARD DISK. WHEN YOU VISIT SITES, SEND E-MAILS... ALL YOUR ACTIONS ARE LOGGED. AND IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO REMOVE THEM WITH STANDART TOOLS. YOUR DATA IS STILL AVAILABLE FOR FORENSICS. AND IN SOME CASES" "FOR YOUR BOSS, YOUR FRIENDS, YOUR WIFE, YOUR CHILDREN. Every sit you or somebody or even something, like spyware, opened in your browsers, with all images, and all downloaded and maybe later removed movies or mp3 songs - ARE STILL THERE and could break your life!" "SECURE YOURSELF RIGHT NOW!" "REMOVE ALL SPYWARE FROM YOUR PC!"

What do I do? It's only on my user, my sister's isn't affected, but I can't seem to delete my username of the computer. I didn't have antivirus (stupidly) but that was because it kept saying error before when I tried downloading it.
    I've come across sites that claim to get rid of viruses and spyware for a one off payment of about £40, but are any of these sites legit?
    lol whoever made that virus must have poor english skilzzzzzzzz

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah cos that message definitely sounds legit... i mean just look at the grammar

ReputationRep:
    Use SuperAntiSpyware (http://www.superantispyware.com/down...NTISPYWAREFREE) or MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware (http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php) - these two pieces of software are very very good at removing malware. If the malware blocks them from downloading, download them onto a USB from another computer and put them onto your infected computer that way (remember to scan the flash drive as well after you get rid of the virus before you use it on another computer). If the malware blocks the programs from running, reboot your computer and put it into safe mode with networking (furiously press f8 while it's loading up and then select that from the menu) then run the programs.

You may also want to run CCleaner (http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/) to remove any traces of the malware from your internet caches.

Hope it works, 'scareware' is SO annoying - I had one on my laptop the other week and it took me a couple of hours to remove.

ReputationRep:
    Got my computer back after my brother borrowed it - internet history deleted and this on my desktop:

WARNING YOUR'RE IN DANGER! YOUR COMPUTER IS INFECTED WITH SPYWARE!" on your desktop followed by something like "ALL YOU DO WITH COMPUTER IS STORED FOREVER IN YOUR HARD DISK. WHEN YOU VISIT SITES, SEND E-MAILS... ALL YOUR ACTIONS ARE LOGGED. AND IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO REMOVE THEM WITH STANDART TOOLS. YOUR DATA IS STILL AVAILABLE FOR FORENSICS. AND IN SOME CASES" "FOR YOUR BOSS, YOUR FRIENDS, YOUR WIFE, YOUR CHILDREN. Every sit you or somebody or even something, like spyware, opened in your browsers, with all images, and all downloaded and maybe later removed movies or mp3 songs - ARE STILL THERE and could break your life!" "SECURE YOURSELF RIGHT NOW!" "REMOVE ALL SPYWARE FROM YOUR PC!"

What do I do? It's only on my user, my sister's isn't affected, but I can't seem to delete my username of the computer. I didn't have antivirus (stupidly) but that was because it kept saying error before when I tried downloading it.
    I've come across sites that claim to get rid of viruses and spyware for a one off payment of about £40, but are any of these sites legit?
    system restore

ReputationRep:
    I just downloaded microsoft security essentials but when I right clicked on the desktop link > run as > my name under user name on the drop down link > a pop up box came up that said "logon account failure: user account restriction. Possible reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions, or a policy restriction has been enforced."
    Not sure what to do... :/
    Are you on an administrator account? You'll need to be to install any new software.

ReputationRep:
    Are you on an administrator account? You'll need to be to install any new software.
    If I can't access the internet in safe mode, how can I install software?

ReputationRep:
    Put it into safe mode and try system restore.

ReputationRep:
    If I can't access the internet in safe mode, how can I install software?
    Download the software in normal mode then restart into safe mode and the file should be wherever you saved it to.

ReputationRep:
    C4 it before it catches you. It's climbing through your windows, snatching your people up, tryin to rape em....

ReputationRep:

It is a massive fake virus that I had on my computer a little while back, I downloaded something called malware bytes type it in on google, or go to a website called bleeping computer and it has a step by step guide how to remove it... otherwise not sure about actually what to do

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.. i've had a fair few viruses creep into my computer, i just reformatted my comp and that got rid of the viruses for me. Only prob is, when you reformat, everything gets wiped, so if you have any documents you really need, i suggest backing them up now. Try downloading avast, or windows essentials, that usually gets rid of the little buggers.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for everyone who contributed to this thread. I managed to reformat it, so it works now.

ReputationRep:
    Now that you it reformatted, make sure you install good protection software.

The best protection you really can have is:

Windows Firewall + Microsoft Security Essentials + Malwarebytes Antimalware + Common sense

Just don't go around clicking on random things online, do regular checks with the security programs and keep backups of your files. That way you shouldn't have many problems.

ReputationRep:
    Start your PC in Safe mode, then proced to download AVG and run it. Deleting all spyware and virus's on the computer

To start PC in safe mode, just after you switch the computer on, keep pressing F8 before and after the windows screen.

ReputationRep:
    You might need an admin account to install MSE. I only have one account so i've never had problems, but that might be why you had trouble. MSE will run all the time but takes up very little system resources and doesn't nag you like other AV's (in fact, this sometimes makes me think it isn't working, it has never detected anything for me). You can keep malwarebytes too, that's more useful if you suspect or know that you have a virus.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.