Turn on thread page Beta

Damn insurance company :@ watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've had a policy with egg for the last year and this expired on the 8th of March. My insurance is really expensive and I don't need a car at the moment so I haven't got a new policy yet.

Egg tried to renew the policy without my consent, I'm absolutely fuming! I got a letter saying they tried to take money from my bank account (I pay it in a lump sum) and it wasn't authorised. I didn't know insurance companies could just renew policies just like that. In the past I haven't renewed my insurance policies straight away and the company hasn't renewed it or tried to take money without my authorisation.

It's only by chance I remembered to phone Egg just now and the girl on the other side tried to tell me that I've missed 14 day grace period to cancel the policy. I argued with her for ages telling her that I'm on the 14th day of this so called grace period and in the end she decided to make out as if she was doing me a favour by cancelling my policy because 'I am supposedly legally bound to it'. I couldn't be bothered arguing with her any more and told her to just send me my no claims bonus certificate. She then asked me to send back the new insurance certificate they issued (I didn't even know it was valid). I should have told her to send me a stamp and envelope so that I can send it back. If they decide to harass me for it I think I'll ask for stationery to send it back as I never asked for my insurance to be renewed.

Translation: you didn't read the small print.

You always need to cancel it before it's due for renewal if you don't need the cover.

ReputationRep:
    I am struggling to find a decent insurance quote at the min for a renault clio

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Translation: you didn't read the small print.

You always need to cancel it before it's due for renewal if you don't need the cover.
    Yeah, it's my fault for not reading the small print when I took out the policy. I've never had that issue before. I always shop around for a better quote so I've never remained with the same insurer and nor have they tried to automatically renew.

I'm just glad my bank didn't authorise it even though I had all the money in my account.

ReputationRep:
    It's actually standard procedure I'm afraid. Would have been in the small print, and a lot of things including other types of insurance operate on this basis.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MovingOn)
    It's actually standard procedure I'm afraid. Would have been in the small print, and a lot of things including other types of insurance operate on this basis.
    I agree.
    My insurance company im with untill my insurance runs out soon arent doing this- i have to phone up if i want to renew, but with my AA breakdown cover, they do that. They were just going to renew it and take the money when its due in a couple of weeks- untill i phoned them up to cancel (as i can get it cheaper with greenflag)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by berryboysh)
    I am struggling to find a decent insurance quote at the min for my renault clio
    I thought you hadnt got a car yet, you were saying on a thread a few days ago that you hadnt got a car and was looking at a punto.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    I thought you hadnt got a car yet, you were saying on a thread a few days ago that you hadnt got a car and was looking at a punto.
    Was I? I am considering a clio I haven't got a car yet, i should of said i am looking for a quote for A renault clioinstead of My) Lol your always correcting my mistakes, i don't mind though

A Renault Clio like this.... but a right hand drive (not left Lol)

ReputationRep:
    Was I? I am considering a clio I haven't got a car yet, i should of said i am looking for a quote for A renault clioinstead of My) Lol your always correcting my mistakes, i don't mind though

A Renault Clio like this.... but a right hand drive (not left Lol)

Why do you want a right hand drive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babygirl110)
    Probably because we live in England and we (mostly) have right hand drive cars here.

Unfortunately that's what insurance companies do - did you not receive a letter to tell you that your policy was coming to an end and would be renewed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlski)
    Probably because we live in England and we (mostly) have right hand drive cars here.

Unfortunately that's what insurance companies do - did you not receive a letter to tell you that your policy was coming to an end and would be renewed?
    I didn't think getting a right hand drive clio would be tough compared to a left hand drive so I wondered why he had mentioned it, which is why I thought I'd ask. My first car was a right hand clio before I got my mini :rolleyes:

I did receive the letter, I've been driving for 7 years and this is the first time I've had an insurance company wanting to automatically renew without me giving the go ahead which is why I was a bit surprised. Usually I shop for a new quote and never hear from the other insurance company again. Last year I delayed getting my insurance because I was away on a long holiday when it expired and my insurance company (HSBC at that time) didn't renew it automatically.

EDIT: I just noticed on his picture the car is a left hand drive so it's all making sense. I was using my iphone when I initially quoted him so I didn't really notice.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think getting a right hand drive clio would be tough compared to a left hand drive so I wondered why he had mentioned it, which is why I thought I'd ask. My first car was a right hand clio before I got my mini :rolleyes:

I did receive the letter, I've been driving for 7 years and this is the first time I've had an insurance company wanting to automatically renew without me giving the go ahead which is why I was a bit surprised. Usually I shop for a new quote and never hear from the other insurance company again. Last year I delayed getting my insurance because I was away on a long holiday when it expired and my insurance company (HSBC at that time) didn't renew it automatically.

EDIT: I just noticed on his picture the car is a left hand drive so it's all making sense. I was using my iphone when I initially quoted him so I didn't really notice.

Fair enough. It's always, always worth fully reading what they send you - even if you don't have any objections to them automatically reinsuring you.

If I hadn't been very careful this year, I would have ended up paying about 50% more on my insurance than I did last year because the *******s just ramped it up for no reason and were going to renew with that new price unless I cancelled... I thought another year of no claims etc would mean lower prices - apparently not with endsleigh! They bank on people not realising or being too lazy to bother cancelling their insurance and finding other insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlski)
    Fair enough. It's always, always worth fully reading what they send you - even if you don't have any objections to them automatically reinsuring you.

If I hadn't been very careful this year, I would have ended up paying about 50% more on my insurance than I did last year because the *******s just ramped it up for no reason and were going to renew with that new price unless I cancelled... I thought another year of no claims etc would mean lower prices - apparently not with endsleigh! They bank on people not realising or being too lazy to bother cancelling their insurance and finding other insurance.
    Yeah, the renewal quote they sent me was also higher this year, naughty naughty, as if I'm not going to look for a cheaper quote. Yeah, they must think people won't notice.

I hope my NCB is worth more elsewhere, I haven't yet had the time to search.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the renewal quote they sent me was also higher this year, naughty naughty, as if I'm not going to look for a cheaper quote. Yeah, they must think people won't notice.

I hope my NCB is worth more elsewhere, I haven't yet had the time to search.

I would think so - I got on the phone straight after I got my letter and immediately got a quote for better, fully comp insurance with admiral for over £200 less than the renewal I'd been sent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fosters88)
    buyer beware, should always read the small print

Unfortunately all companies are out to sting you, they could not care a less about you even if your a current customer of theirs.

In fact companies only look after NEW customers

It is common that e.g. Roadside Assistance/Insurance/telephone/electricty/gas companies etc will offer a cheaper price to NEW customers than existing/current customers.
    Once you are registered as a customer/client of a companies, overall their interest in you drops, they are more concerned with the next NEW customer.
    Companies will not alter your record to match the current cheap price they are offering to new customers, so as an existing/current customer you have to do the leg work discover they are offering a cheaper price and contact them about this asking to be put on the lower price band.

This is why, you have to review all contacts with all companies yearly.
    Thanks for the tip.

I can't wait to get a new mobile phone contract, I realised I could have got a cheaper renewal with another provider after I'd renewed it with vodafone. I wonder what happened to customer loyalty.

ReputationRep:

Because in this country people drive on the right hand side of the road. I posted a picture of the clio but I realized that the wheel was on the left

ReputationRep:
    Because in this country people drive on the right hand side of the road. I posted a picture of the clio but I realized that the wheel was on the left
    Yeah, sorry I figured it out later, I'd been on my iphone when I read your post and hadn't looked at the picture.

My first car was a 2004 clio (right hand drive).

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.