Turn on thread page Beta

Anbody 30years old + ??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Iwill be 31 when doing my 2nd undergraduate degree (BOptometry-Hons), offers allowed??!, I have done a BSc in Chemsitry before, but want to get out of lab andstudy what I always wanted to do - healthcare.
    Well, anybody 30 and older and really mature (are we very mature!!) hehe. almost like cheese, better when older. LOL
    I am also married and have 3 children (!!!) - will be really busy I guess...

looking forward to replies!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Frances...you're not alone...I'm 29 and rapidly approaching 30 and I've just completed my PhD and I'm considering going back into the frying pan to study Radiography. My academic background is Biochemistry and similarly I want to get out the lab, out of research and into clinical science. I've just spent the last four years using ultrasound so it's not such a big leap really...more of a re-direction. If there was another way...I'd do it...but no luck on the job front means that this is the only way for me to secure a job and worthwhile career in the field of my choosing!....anyway...good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Well I feel very old !

I am 30, 31 in January and start my access course in September for 2 years, then will have 3 or 4 years of uni after, so I will be qualified when I am about 38!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Almost - will be 30 this academic year... :ahhhhh:

--------------

(Original post by Magrat)
    Hi Frances...you're not alone...I'm 29 and rapidly approaching 30 and I've just completed my PhD and I'm considering going back into the frying pan to study Radiography. My academic background is Biochemistry and similarly I want to get out the lab, out of research and into clinical science. I've just spent the last four years using ultrasound so it's not such a big leap really...more of a re-direction. If there was another way...I'd do it...but no luck on the job front means that this is the only way for me to secure a job and worthwhile career in the field of my choosing!....anyway...good luck.

Ohh! Good luck! I went back to do another undergrad degree after my D.Phil (PhD).

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Fluffy....was beginning to wonder whether I was the only person mad enough to do another undergrad degree after YEARS of postgrad study......how did you find going back to uni with school leavers after completing your doctorate?

ReputationRep:
    I also feel really old. I'm currently 26 and by the time I've managed to do the requisite A levels and apply to uni, I will either be 30 or 31 when I start uni (5 year course!).
    I don't have any kids yet, but I'm notreally sure how I'm ever going to find the time to have any! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magrat)
    Cheers Fluffy....was beginning to wonder whether I was the only person mad enough to do another undergrad degree after YEARS of postgrad study......how did you find going back to uni with school leavers after completing your doctorate?
    Sorry - missed this reply!

I'm on a 'PBL' (problem based learning) course, I chose to do that as it's fairly self-directed in learning style, and I knew that that would suit me better than a traditional 100% lecture based course. You get out what you put in.

About 1/4 of my year are 'mature' so it hasn't been too much of an issue going back... The plus is that the hours are nothing compared to post-grad/post-doc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charley24)
    Well I feel very old !

I am 30, 31 in January and start my access course in September for 2 years, then will have 3 or 4 years of uni after, so I will be qualified when I am about 38!!!!!!!
    Honestly!
    I'm 37, half way through an MSc and looking for a doctoral place for next year. I'll be well into my 40s by the time I finish, and I'm certainly not alone. It's a huge advantage because I have the confidence (from having been successful elsewhere in life) to just go for what I want.

L.

ReputationRep:
    we have a 57 year old undergrad at lmh...

ReputationRep:
    One of my closest friends is 30 and he lives in halls and gets along with everyone fine; most of the time, we don't even notice the age difference. Nothing wrong with starting uni a bit later than most...in fact, it is often beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    hi there im 36 doing my first year llb hons in law and i feel old too. once i finish will be 40!! i think im crazy taking this on but it will be an acheivement once finshed as i hv 4 children!!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I"M 33 but dont feel like it and certainly dont act like it either. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I've just turned 30 and am doing a second undergraduate degree (one term down!). This is now my second change of direction - my first degree was in modern languages, I then qualified as a lawyer and finally decided to satisfy my childhood dream of studying Egyptology. I wish I could say what I plan to do once I graduate, but I have no idea, which is pretty terrifying at times, although I love the course. Incidentally, one of the other people on my course is 56.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there i'm 30 this year and only have one child, guess you will be busy with 3, my 32 year old mate at uni has 4 kids! AARHH.....I spent the last 10 years working for the NHS as a qualified dental nurse, I really felt ready for uni after that stint and have change direction with my career choices (criminal justice). Mature students on my course are few, but i'm kinda enjoying the fact my life experiences come with a certain degree of wisdom that can't be learnt from a book, and i'm doing really well. Go for it i don't intent to stop at just one degree, i think i've got the study bug!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)
    we have a 57 year old undergrad at lmh...
    I think there's an 80something year old second time undergrad at HM, I think he was a judge of the supreme court or something...

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm 30 and have one small child. Will be nearly 31 when my MPhil course starts in October.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalen)
    I think there's an 80something year old second time undergrad at HM, I think he was a judge of the supreme court or something...
    Is he STILL there!??!!! Unless they have a lot of octagenarians knocking about the place!

ReputationRep:
    I think he is...maybe a third year now?

:eek: I reached Satan's post!

ReputationRep:
    Wahooo!! Just to let you know I have 2 unconditional offers now from Aston and Bradford...yipeee worth waiting

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.