Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViralRiver)
    Oh wow... using that reduces to 2\lambda =3t. Very weird oO. If anyone has an explanation I'd love to know .
    Can you see how this suggests that lambda is actually a polynomial of degree 1 in t for this choice of PI. I'm guessing this suggests that the particular integral for the whole DE is probably \frac{3}{2}t^3e^{2t} (since lambda is \frac{3}{2}t if your PI is chosen to be \lambda t^2e^{2t}).

Why that's happened is a different question all together. One I don't have an answer to. I will check this out with my maths teacher tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    Can you see how this suggests that lambda is actually a polynomial of degree 1 in t for this choice of PI. I'm guessing this suggests that the particular integral for the whole DE is probably \frac{3}{2}t^3e^{2t} (since lambda is \frac{3}{2}t if your PI is chosen to be \lambda t^2e^{2t}).

Why that's happened is a different question all together. One I don't have an answer to. I will check this out with my maths teacher tomorrow.
    Ahhh yes I see what you mean. I had further maths today so was able to ask my teacher but he was clueless xD - any luck?

ReputationRep:
    You can write x=\lambda t^n e^{2t}, work it all through and then choose n at the end. It works fine and only takes a couple of minutes. I just checked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get me off the £\?%!^@ computer)
    You can write x=\lambda t^n e^{2t}, work it all through and then choose n at the end. It works fine and only takes a couple of minutes. I just checked.
    I mean, it's clear than n=2 doesn't quite work but I think the bigger question was why not (That's what I'm interested in, anyway).

ReputationRep:
    It's a conspiracy of coefficients.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViralRiver)
    Ok thanks .

Something's popped up now which doesn't really make sense either =\ .

\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}-4\frac{dx}{dt}+4x=3te^{2t}

Now, for the particular integral, I would use \lambda t^2e^{2t} as that does not appear in the CF. However, the solution requires you to use \lambda t^3e^{2t} oO. Seems like I really don't understand it after all :< .
    Basically, each root in the AE that 'matches' the form of the PI will "lose" you a coefficient of t when you apply the DE to your guess for the PI.

Since you have a repeated root, you're going to lose 2 powers of t, so that t^2e^(2t) will become e^2t (times a constant) and t^3 e^(2t) will become te^2t.

It's perhaps worth pointing out that "... does not appear in the CF" doesn't by itself imply very much about whether or not it will work as a guess for the PI. The form of the RHS matters too.

If you had \frac{d^2x}{dt^2}-4\frac{dx}{dt}+4x=3t^{99}e^{2t} then obviously you wouldn't expect \lambda t^2e^{2t} to work, even though it still doesn't appear in the CF.

ReputationRep:
    I see that DFranklin has posted while I've been struggling with a dodgy connection, LaTeX and maths, probably making my post redundant but it took too long to just dump it so here it is.

Suppose
    \frac{d^2x}{dt^2}-2\alpha\frac{dx}{dt} + \alpha ^2 x=At^m e^{\alpha t}

and suppose x=\lambda e^{\alpha t} t^n

then \frac{dx}{dt}=\lambda e^{\alpha t}(\alpha t^n + n t^{n-1})

and \frac{d^2 x}{dt^2}=\lambda e^{\alpha t}(\alpha^2 t^n + 2\alpha t^{n-1} +n(n-1) t^{n-2})

Substituting into the differential equation:

\lambda e^{\alpha t}[\alpha^2 t^n + 2\alpha t^{n-1} +n(n-1) t^{n-2}]+

\lambda e^{\alpha t}[-2 \alpha ^2 t^n  -2\alpha n t^{n-1})]+

\lambda e^{\alpha t}[\alpha  ^2 t^n]

the only term remaining after simplifying is \lambda e^{\alpha t} n(n-1) t^{n-2}
    Poll
    Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.