Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sleep is an issue! Any people in a similar situation? watch

ReputationRep:
    Every night before an exam I can't sleep! Last night I couldn't; I had my chemistry evaluative exam today and although i knew it would probably go fine (and it did I think) I still can't fall a sleep.

I read for about half an hour 10-10.30 then i try to fall a sleep then. I find myself tossing and turning and my brain seems to still be revising despite doing no revision the night before. I constantly have numbers floating in my head or revision notes or a song continuously!

I have a mum who likes to stay up downstairs now till 3 in the morning or something stupid. I become paranoid about that because i am use to waiting for her to come to bed before i attempt to fall asleep because I only know that I'm not going to fall asleep beforehand because when she comes up she will just make lots of noise.

We have our dinner quite late every night at 8+ wish we didn't. I tell my mum to come up earlier, i tell her and my brother to stop making a noise or to not let the dog bark at midnight but my mum just doesn't seem to think about me at all.

I enjoy my tea but I don't tend to have it the night before my exam after about 7 but sometimes i have one with my meal. I tend to drink some water now before bed which I like. Oh and also i always find myself wanting to go to the toilet so much because I become paranoid that that is the reason or i would have to get up anyway for it. i.e. last night i went up 3 times in the space of 2 hours.

Do you have any tips for me? I want to do really well. I don't leave revision till the last minute, i work all the way through, i don't have anything to worry about. All i want to do is get a good night sleep before an exam. I bet tonight I will sleep perfectly fine.

Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Do vitamin tablets help also, or those that help you go to sleep which i know nothing about?

ReputationRep:
    I struggle with sleep myself, and not just before exams.
    It seems like it may be more related to worrying about what's going on downstairs, rather than the exam?

Try some relaxation techniques before bed, help your mind and body relax.
    You could always have something like a hot chocolate that'll help you settle?
    Sometimes I'll tell myself a story in my head (sounds odd, but it's just simple and relaxing), before I know it I'm thinking about the story and then dropping off to sleep without realising

ReputationRep:
    Visualising success might help you a lot, it's going to allow you to sleep in a good mood, I find worrying about exams very very stressful and same as you - can't sleep. After my Biology exam, I thought I got everything wrong and was so stressed out, and I think my body was aching for about a week cuz I was panicking so much. Just be confident and things will work your way

ReputationRep:
    That was me in January. Every time I'd try to settle, my legs would shake uncontrollably. I was so tense - and had my books all around me so I could so some more burst revision. I've never lost sleep over exams before, GCSE's didn't even stress me out that much.

Take a few deep breaths before bed and try to clear your mind (sounds ominous, but it does work for some people). Just remember that your brain needs enough rest or it won't take in the information you're revising properly. You're aiding your revision and attainment by getting a decent night's sleep.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.