The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2480
I don't understand aerobic respiration atall, is there a chance it won't come up ?
Reply 2481
Original post by haydyb123
No worries, I don't suppose you have any notes on the core practicals do you? :smile:

Ah.. really sorry mate but don't have anything on the computer.
can anyone post a link to the examinor reports/grade boundries for the previous 2 papers?
Can anyone please explain what is the QT period and what exactly is "long QT" syndrome and how it "can lead to sudden death".
outline how gene expression may play a part is the day-by-day regulation of conditions in the body?? (5)
Does any1 know the answer to this??? its about homeostasis but the gene expression has thrown me lool.
Please any suggestions its bugging me!!

Charli :smile: xx
How are you all revising the scientific article?
Will just reading it over a few times be enough? :/
Original post by Lynam

Original post by Lynam
I don't understand aerobic respiration atall, is there a chance it won't come up ?

Highly unlikely that it won't come up, there's a massive section on it!!!
Original post by Parthenon93
Can anyone please explain what is the QT period and what exactly is "long QT" syndrome and how it "can lead to sudden death".

I would have thought QT is the length of time taken for ventricular systole :wink:
Original post by StudentToday
outline how gene expression may play a part is the day-by-day regulation of conditions in the body?? (5)
Does any1 know the answer to this??? its about homeostasis but the gene expression has thrown me lool.
Please any suggestions its bugging me!!

Charli :smile: xx

Could be along the lines that ... regular use of muscles for normal activities and exercise causes micro tears in muscles ... stress and exercise triggers transcription of IFG-1 gene (may be by affect of stress hormones) ... IFG-1 adds more proteins to muscle to repair tears, muscle mass increaes ... more exercise ... more tear ... more IFG-1 :eek:

Or you can just outline transcription of proteins which neurotransmitters ...

Weird question ... :eek:
Reply 2489
Original post by Jammers123
Highly unlikely that it won't come up, there's a massive section on it!!!

Ergh i know but a lot of the stuff came up in january, i understand everything else just all the chemistry and equations are horrible. O well i will just mention a few key words to pick up a couple of marks :dontknow:
Original post by Jammers123
I would have thought QT is the length of time taken for ventricular systole :wink:

Okay on that ... So what is "long QT" syndrome? Increased length of ventricular systole so that ventricles do not have enough time to fully relax before another contraction? Ventricles fatigue? Eventually not enough blood supplied to body (brain and heart)? Hence death? ... :eek:

Am I getting this right? :confused:
Okay on that ... So what is "long QT" syndrome? Increased length of ventricular systole so that ventricles do not have enough time to fully relax before another contraction? Ventricles fatigue? Eventually not enough blood supplied to body (brain and heart)? Hence death? ... :eek:

This is what I found on wikipedia. The long QT syndrome (LQTS) is a rare inborn heart condition in which delayed repolarization of the heart following a heartbeat increases the risk of episodes of torsade de pointes (TDP, a form of irregular heartbeat that originates from the ventricles). These episodes may lead to palpitations, fainting and sudden death due to ventricular fibrillation.
Okay on that ... So what is "long QT" syndrome? Increased length of ventricular systole so that ventricles do not have enough time to fully relax before another contraction? Ventricles fatigue? Eventually not enough blood supplied to body (brain and heart)? Hence death? ... :eek: Am I getting this right? :confused:

I think you're right with ventricular fatigue :smile: if the ventricles fatigue they will be less effective thus lowering the stroke volume and the amount of blood pumped out in each heartbeat? I think, i dont know lol
eeeeek i hate topic 7!

In QT syndrome, the T bit on the ECG is longer, so diastole lasts longer and therefore blood is not pumped out fast enough to meet the demands of the brain. Since the brain is not receiving an adequate supply of blood, you can lose consciousness and leads to "sudden death"
Reply 2494
Original post by claire4095
How are you all revising the scientific article?
Will just reading it over a few times be enough? :/

m using this:
54265374-Questions-and-Answers-for-Scientific-Article-June-2011.pdf
Just finished the June 2010 paper. Now am proceeding to mark it O_O
*nervousnervousnervous*

Omg thank you thank you thank you!
Does this cover everything they could ask then probably? :smile:
Explain differences in the mechanisms of substances like IGF-1 and MGF, and transcription factors such as FOXO???????????????????
Reply 2498
Original post by claire4095
Omg thank you thank you thank you!
Does this cover everything they could ask then probably? :smile:

no problem, to be honest lets just hope it does cover evrything as i hate synoptic questions :frown:
has anyone got 2011 jan snab mark scheme? pleasee

Also on the article, im a bit confused because it says bit on
Catching Cheaters, 4th paragraph, states that:
people with plenty of red blood cells should have little or no eop circulating in the blood.Surely the concentration of eop should be higher?? because they injected the gene for it, so more epo was produced?! to make higher red blood cells, epo is required. How can they have high red blood cells with low epo? shouldnt it be high, then we know if they took it-cheated.
please help me, i dont understand.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending