Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give me a quick link to jan 2011 question paper and mark scheme. Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this is a silly question, but why does increasing amount of ADP increase rate of respiration? As im looking at a past paper and the rate of oxygen consumption increases when more ADP is added (using an isolated mitochondria in solution with inorganic phosphate and an electron donor? Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammers123)
    Can anyone give me a quick link to jan 2011 question paper and mark scheme. Thanks in advance
    mark scheme:
    http://hgbiology.wikispaces.com/file...+Unit+5+MS.pdf

sorry can't find paper!

ReputationRep:
    heyy can anyone outline that stupid maggot experiment? theres no material on it anywhere! thanks

ReputationRep:
    gene therapy:
    1) Changing micororganism: bacteria: take out plasmid, cut it using restriction enzyme, insert desired gene: Transcription-translation: protein made! YEY
    2) Changing plants: use virus containing required gene or use plasmid along with lysosome, or pallet covered in desired DNA and shoot it into plant cells. Remember to insert marker genes which codes for antbiotic resistance. So when testing it procedure has worked, those cells with no antibiotic resistant protein will DIE! AHAHAHAA
    Ok is this right? i hope its understandable my english is kinda bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkoki1993)
    Omg Charlotte! Beanie's friend guess who?
    OKI! Fancy meeting you here! how you feeling about tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by care3ash)
    heyy can anyone outline that stupid maggot experiment? theres no material on it anywhere! thanks
    I am guessing you are talking about the respirometer experiment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlotteflanagan)
    I don't know if this is a silly question, but why does increasing amount of ADP increase rate of respiration? As im looking at a past paper and the rate of oxygen consumption increases when more ADP is added (using an isolated mitochondria in solution with inorganic phosphate and an electron donor? Thanks in advance
    I'd assume(and probably wrongly) that the Pi and electron donors are in excess, so when you add more ADP, the rate speeds up as all the other components needed for oxidative phosphorylation are there in excess.

ReputationRep:
    As more ADP is added, more ATP can be made by oxidative phosphorylation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abuelzouz)
    somebody? 1) difference between gene therapy and recombinant ? from where i can revise those?? plzz 2) what about QT syndrome???
    Gene therapy is the insertation of a benifical gene in to a cell in the body, using a vector.
    Recombinant is when bacteria containing the beneficial gene in their plasmid, are cultured outside the body to produce copies of the gene/protein.

ReputationRep:
    OKI! Fancy meeting you here! how you feeling about tomorrow?
    I have a feeling the advanced notice is gonna screw me over. Other than that, I'm fine. You?
    Yeah.... I've become a tsr junkie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AGM)
    I'd assume(and probably wrongly) that the Pi and electron donors are in excess, so when you add more ADP, the rate speeds up as all the other components needed for oxidative phosphorylation are there in excess.
    thank you! that makes sense good luck tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    mark scheme:
    http://hgbiology.wikispaces.com/file...+Unit+5+MS.pdf

sorry can't find paper!
    Ok thanks anyway :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkoki1993)
    I have a feeling the advanced notice is gonna screw me over. Other than that, I'm fine. You?
    Yeah.... I've become a tsr junkie
    thanks for the help on my question

I am so unprepared! I have been focusing more on my other exams which was silly really but as this was my last one i kept putting it off!

ohh I am starting to become one too... shame I left it this late to realise how cool it is here :P
    gd luck tomorrow (tho i sure you won't need it)

ReputationRep:
    How can antibody therepy used to block myostatin?

ReputationRep:
    Do kidney cells produce epo? So during gene therapy the plasmid/virus attacks the kidney cells?

ReputationRep:
    How much detail does everyone know about transcription factors? I know.. well, nothing at the moment, but I was planning on learning a lot less than what my friend has just said she knows.. though I cant find that much detail in the textbook...

Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the help on my question

I am so unprepared! I have been focusing more on my other exams which was silly really but as this was my last one i kept putting it off!

ohh I am starting to become one too... shame I left it this late to realise how cool it is here :P
    gd luck tomorrow (tho i sure you won't need it)
    Well you're allowed to put unit 5 bio off. It's a bit boring.... And I'll take any luck anyone's giving. Especially Irish luck

What other subjects you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkiee)
    I am guessing you are talking about the respirometer experiment?
    umm is is respirometer the same as spirometer? i understand the spirometer experiment, but im sure theres another experiment where u measure the oxygen uptake of maggots or something :/ i havnt got a clue cos i got kicked out of that lesson when we were doing it, and theres nothing about it in the text book or anything. would be grateful for you help mate (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hey-hey-hey)
    (Original post by Jammers123)
    thanks!!

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.