Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi does the insulation provided by the mylein sheath just make electric impulses propagate faster along the axon ?

Also what happens at the Nodes of Ranvier ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkoki1993)
    I have a strange ability to memorise Mark schemes and excerpts of the textbook. It's a tad :/
    Very lucky!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VetApplicant2011)
    because its prroduced naturally by the body, it would have self antigens but they would be "good" antigens, which the body recognizes as its own. It doesnt realise that they are causing a problem, so we must artificially tag them to allow them to be destroyed?

At least I think thats why.. feel free to correct me guys lol
    oh right, think i get it now, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by USERUSER)
    Hi does the insulation provided by the mylein sheath just make electric impulses propagate faster along the axon ?

Wht happens at the node of ranvier?

Saltatory conduction happens at the node of ranvier

ReputationRep:
    any one know where the june 2010 markscheme is please??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choca Mocha)
    Very lucky!!
    It took years of practice. Did so many school plays. This year I decided why don't I just memorise the mark schemes like they're lines in a play! It's worked so far..

ReputationRep:
    Well you're allowed to put unit 5 bio off. It's a bit boring.... And I'll take any luck anyone's giving. Especially Irish luck

What other subjects you doing?
    lol it is! and unfair tbh the amount we have to go over!!

lol u are welcome to some irish luck i need lots of it too tho

maths and english and bio, u?

ReputationRep:

Well the myelin sheath in the schwann cells is a conductor.

In myelinated axons, sodium channels are concentrated at the nodes of ranvier(the gaps between schwann cells). This means the electical impulse can jump from node to node due to the fact that the cytoplasm in the neurone can now conduct well enough to allow this.

ReputationRep:
    the little improve your brain add next to the reply box is ironic to our course haha : /

ReputationRep:
    How do viruses, when acting as vectors, introduce genes into cells?

ReputationRep:

Dude, big ass chunk of the course there :P

Because the depolarisation of the membrane can ONLY occour at the nodes of ranvier (because everywhere else is protected by the myelin sheath, which ions cant pass through) effectively a tiny electrical current carries the wave of depolarisation between the nodes of Ranvier. Ie. the positive charge caused by the Na ion influx flows along the cytoplasm to the next node. This is a quicker method of propagation than every tiny section of the membrane being depolarised, and so the impulse travels faster.

Again, I think. Correction welcome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    ok can someone summarise the non-obvious things from the article that we need to know

so far i got

-gene therapy
    -recombinant bacteria (is this the same as GMO in the syllabus?)
    -Adenoviruses?
    -antibodies/myostatin

i dont even know where to start tbh, this is gonna be a long night
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AGM)
    Well the myelin sheath in the schwann cells is a conductor.

In myelinated axons, sodium channels are concentrated at the nodes of ranvier(the gaps between schwann cells). This means the electical impulse can jump from node to node due to the fact that the cytoplasm in the neurone can now conduct well enough to allow this.
    The myelin sheath in the Shwann cell is an INSULATOR!!

ReputationRep:

myelin sheath is made up of Schwann cells, these act as an electrical insulator, with the myelin sheath, impulses are propogated along the axon at a faster rate.

the node of Ranvier, is the part of the axon that is not covered in myelin sheath, it is the only place where depolarisation can take place. saltatory conduction is taking place as the impulses 'jump' from node to node.

hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abuelzouz)
    whats myostatin!!!
    It is a protein that inhibits the production of MGF so no more actin and myosin is made.
    Feel free to correctme if im wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlotteflanagan)
    lol it is! and unfair tbh the amount we have to go over!!

lol u are welcome to some irish luck i need lots of it too tho

maths and english and bio, u?
    You can have some nigerian luck, it's almost the same (we have the same patron saint and stuff)
    Doing maths, bio, chem and citizenship(as)

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone describe the steps in UPP? and what does UPP do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibbyU)
    How do viruses, when acting as vectors, introduce genes into cells?
    I don't really remember this that well as it is unit 4 but here goes

The virus DNA is incorporated into the host DNA. The host cell then replicates it's own DNA as well as the virus DNA. That's all I can really remember

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VetApplicant2011)
    The myelin sheath in the Shwann cell is an INSULATOR!!
    Dammnnn... poor use of wording on my part! Thank you for the correction.

ReputationRep:
    You can have some nigerian luck, it's almost the same (we have the same patron saint and stuff)
    Doing maths, bio, chem and citizenship(as)
    LOOL some Nigerian Luck, I am Nigerian, this made me LOL

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.