Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hey-hey-hey)
    is this right, both the mid brain and the thalamus coordinate sensory information..Mid brain, sends info to visual cortex so does thalamus?
    I think the midbrain transmits information between the two cerebral hemispheres whilst the thalamus 're-routes' incoming sensory information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHemgeo)
    ahh in all this bio revision and isolation from the rest of the world you have no idea how much that made me laugh XD

I seriously need to get out more
    This time tomorrow no more snab

ReputationRep:
    It's like Edexcel is telling us they're going to viogorously rape us for 1 hour 45 mins . I've never been nervous about an exam until now.

(Edexcels Current Mood: )

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused about Q2)d on the june 2010 paper. I thought that the resting potential is restored because of K+ ions diffusing back into the axon down the concentration gradient caused by the repolarisation of the membrane, and the resting potential is when the electrochemical gradient is balanced out by the concentration gradient of K+ ions. In the mark scheme it talks about the K+ ions moving because of a charge difference aand the diffusion gradient balancing the PD :/

ReputationRep:
    Who has the examiner report for june 2010 paper please? Edexcel now have a secure log in to check anything and i dont have the password

ReputationRep:
    Who has the examiner report for june 2010 paper please? Edexcel now have a secure log in to check anything and i dont have the password

ReputationRep:
    june 2010 examiner reports if any of you have it, can you post it guyss

ReputationRep:
    That QandA doc about the article... where is it from?

how reliable too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire4095)
    Myostatin limits the number of stem cells defferentiating in to muscle cells. Creating antibodies artificially that can bind to myostatin may increase the likely hood of the persons immune system attacking the myostatin meaning more stem cells can differentiate in to muscle cells.
    Hope that helps its the limited knowledge i have on antibody therapy

perfect!! it helped a lot thankss and good luck in the exammm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gildartz)
    I'm confused about Q2)d on the june 2010 paper. I thought that the resting potential is restored because of K+ ions diffusing back into the axon down the concentration gradient caused by the repolarisation of the membrane, and the resting potential is when the electrochemical gradient is balanced out by the concentration gradient of K+ ions. In the mark scheme it talks about the K+ ions moving because of a charge difference aand the diffusion gradient balancing the PD :/
    K+ does move out to repolarise the cell but too much moves out so the cell becomes more negative than its resting potential (hyperpolarised). So to restore its resting potential from its hyperpolarised state the K+ moves back in to the cel.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patrick93)
    K+ does move out to repolarise the cell but too much moves out so the cell becomes more negative than its resting potential (hyperpolarised). So to restore its resting potential from its hyperpolarised state the K+ moves back in to the cel.
    So the concentration gradient isn't involved when K+ moves back in?

ReputationRep:
    Give an explanation for the movement of K ions during repolarisation (3) june 2010

ReputationRep:
    How does Recombinant Bacteria cause human cells to express the gene in the plasmid of the bacteria???

Plasmid is modified and inserted back ino bacteria. inserted in human. Bacteria replicates and each bacter:confused:ia has the gene. Then wat happens??

Thanks in advanced..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L2R1C)
    Hey, the things I have made notes on/revised for the article are:

1.Gene therapy
    2. Viruses
    3. Protein synthesis
    4. Clinical trials
    5. Brief notes on heart problems
    6. performance enhancing drugs - ethical issues ect.

What else should I look over?
    Thanks in advnce
    Anyone please?! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudentToday)
    How does Recombinant Bacteria cause human cells to express the gene in the plasmid of the bacteria???

Plasmid is modified and inserted back ino bacteria. inserted in human. Bacteria replicates and each bacter:confused:ia has the gene. Then wat happens??

Thanks in advanced..
    :confused:
    I thought recombinant bacteria had nothing to do with altering the human cell DNA, you're probably thinking about gene therapy and using viral vectors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gildartz)
    So the concentration gradient isn't involved when K+ moves back in?
    no; not as they move back in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L2R1C)
    Anyone please?! :confused:
    probably worth knowing what a transcription factor is? they seem to talk about those in there and its part of the course as i know it they are factors that promote or inhibit the production of certain proteins during synthesis, the ones that promote a particular protein being synthesised are activators and to prevent them being synthesised are repressors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkiee)
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/45672896/E...-report-Unit-5

ReputationRep:
    mUCH APPRECIATED :d

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 30, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.