Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadiaaraquel)
    same just waffle!

what did you guys name the c structure on that motor neuron? It was the meylin sheath right? and the centre was the axon?

Also the one that asked why heart rate increases oxygen uptake by the blood?

And the one on troponin and slow twitch fibres?
    for heart rate i said increase in heart rate maintains steeper conc gradient of oxgyen between alveolar air and blood, so faster diffusion

what did you write for the factor other than heart rate which increases blood flowing through the heart?

and the conclusions drawn from that experiment question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VetApplicant2011)
    Yeah structure of the shoot was sly, the calcium ion was alright.. just put that because fast twitch muscle fibres are used to respiring anaerobically, resulting in lactate build up, they are adapted to working in acidic conditions and so were not as sensitive to ph change.

the genetic one was crappppp i drew Gg Gg for the parents so offspring would be GG Gg Gg gg with gg being the kid, but it didnt say the dad carried the gene so I dont know if that was right.

I also messed up the easiest of ALL questions, about the neurones.. I thought you had to put a cross for every letter ABCD even though there wasnt an option for relay neurone, so I put B and C as motor neurones GAH!
    It is right because the kid got two recessive gg and mom is Gg, so the dad must have been a carrier, Gg

ReputationRep:
    totally agree with you! I had twenty minutes to do question seven, which was alright as it was very straight forward. But had left the four mark question on animal hormones and plants and didnt have time to go back to it in the end
    Yes - there wasn't enough space to describe my interpretation of the Calcium ions and the pH results either.

ReputationRep:
    for the adenovirus Q, i put everything i think right but i said at the start that the 'macrophage' digests the virus and then becomes an APC how many marks do you think i would lose? for saying macrophage instead of just a cell.

erm cardiac muscle repolrisation i thought was weird?

ermmm and 4 markss for Myelin sheaath thats a bit over the top i thought :L

overall i think it went alright intrested to hear what everyone else thinks....

ReputationRep:
    same just waffle!

what did you guys name the c structure on that motor neuron? It was the meylin sheath right? and the centre was the axon?

Yup, I got that for the myelin sheath and the centre was the axon. Umm, I wrote something along the lines that increase in heart rate increases oxygen uptake in blood because more impulses are sent from the medulla to the intercoastal muscles and diaphragm causing them to contract, inhaling in more air [i.e. greater oxygen uptake] I.e. signals sent from the inspiratory centre in the ventilation centres in the medulla.

No idea if that's right though!!

ReputationRep:
    same just waffle!

Yeah it was, and oxygen uptake increases because when heart rate increases, cardiac output increases, which means more blood is pumped round the lungs per minute, meaning the concentration gradient of O2 is constantly renewed and gaseous exchange happens more efficiently, so oxygen uptake is increased.

The troponin one was just because the troponin molecule is what is affected by the Calcium - the Calcium ions disfigure the tropinin, moving the tropomyosin out of the way and revealing the binding sites - so any change in calcium ion sensitivity will be related to troponin

completely messed up the graph one as well, about core temperature

ReputationRep:
    Yeah structure of the shoot was sly, the calcium ion was alright.. just put that because fast twitch muscle fibres are used to respiring anaerobically, resulting in lactate build up, they are adapted to working in acidic conditions and so were not as sensitive to ph change.

the genetic one was crappppp i drew Gg Gg for the parents so offspring would be GG Gg Gg gg with gg being the kid, but it didnt say the dad carried the gene so I dont know if that was right.

I also messed up the easiest of ALL questions, about the neurones.. I thought you had to put a cross for every letter ABCD even though there wasnt an option for relay neurone, so I put B and C as motor neurones GAH!
    Wouldnt the shoot grow towards the light? as the IAA growth factor distributes unevenly? huuuuh :/ andd B and C were both motor neruones the cell body was in the dendrites x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    for heart rate i said increase in heart rate maintains steeper conc gradient of oxgyen between alveolar air and blood, so faster diffusion

what did you write for the factor other than heart rate which increases blood flowing through the heart?

I put viscosity of blood (how easily blood flows through heart chambers)... it might be wrong, please do tell if this might be acceptable.

For conclusion i put that experiment only for men and same thing can't be said about women. and the other mark is probably describing the overall trend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ljarc)
    i think it was a great exam! so much easier than expected. but i did make careless mistakes, on the first question i didnt notice that the light was unilateral so i just drew a straight shoot :P but the twitch fibres were quite easy
    I drew a straight shoot too! Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)

Haa dont trust my conclusion, i just looked at the results and said that overall as exercise increases, the uptake of oxygen by the blood increases in order to respond to the demands of the working muscles etc... i cant really remember and I also compared the two (50 hb and 100 hb)

ReputationRep:
    Did anybody mention how the increase of the oxygen levels was actually smaller than the increase in ventilation rate? Because the oxygen levels were in dm^3/min^-1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire4095)
    Wouldnt the shoot grow towards the light? as the IAA growth factor distributes unevenly? huuuuh :/ andd B and C were both motor neruones the cell body was in the dendrites x
    YES! i put B and C both motor neurone, i completely guessed it. Shoot grow away from the light direction, because the shoot is not actually shone with a light stimulus and in the shoot, the agar boxes were other way around. so B has more IAA than A, therefore more cell elongation along B than A, hence shoot starts to bend away from light.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it was, and oxygen uptake increases because when heart rate increases, cardiac output increases, which means more blood is pumped round the lungs per minute, meaning the concentration gradient of O2 is constantly renewed and gaseous exchange happens more efficiently, so oxygen uptake is increased.

The troponin one was just because the troponin molecule is what is affected by the Calcium - the Calcium ions disfigure the tropinin, moving the tropomyosin out of the way and revealing the binding sites - so any change in calcium ion sensitivity will be related to troponin

Yes!!!! exactly what I said for troponin. Didnt go on to explain the whole sliding filament theory, so good .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire4095)
    Yeah it would, but they veryyyy sneakily swapped the old agar jellies around in the second diagram so it would grow the opposite way you think.

I dont think they were.. I think your only supposed to put three ticks? Il be happy if they were both motor aha xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phenylethylamine_)
    I drew a straight shoot too! Lol
    hahah, dumb mistakes, what r u gna do :P :P

ReputationRep:
    In one of the 5 mark question about ventilation, did anyone else put that Heart rate (beating rate) = ventilation rate/ tidal volume, hence as ventilation decreases and tidal volume increases, value for heart rate decreases.

ReputationRep:
    Damnnnn! I drew a straight shoot for that question because there were two agar blocks, so I thought IAA is usually on the shaded side and bends towards light but because there were two agar blocks, so I wrote it doesn't move in any direction, i.e. doesn't respond to tropism - directional stimulus! Cra p, crap, crap

ReputationRep:

core temp was ok as well, Had to mention that as temp increases the hypothalamus detects this temp change in the blood passing through it... so a heat loss centre is activated etcc...

and the other one, on why athletes A temp increase so much??

ReputationRep:
    Anyways, I'm unsuscribing myself from this thread, I have my chem exam on Friday and can't discuss answers, they're just going to freak me out! >.<

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah for the 3 marker on how to tell breathing rate and tidal vol from a spirometer, what did you guys say?

i said height of peaks for tidal vol, number of peaks per min for rate, didnt know what else to right though

and for the one about how EPO is switched off, i talked about negative feedback etc?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 30, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.