Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Panicking now after reading this thread, because I realise I've got loads of questions wrong. And I need an A! Please let the grade boundaries be low!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imaam)
    That exam was very tricky. I went to question1a) and i was like what! Ive never seen this before in my life, so i left that question came back to it at the end - went on to the others and the rest of the paper seemed alright apart from that Calcium slow/fast twitch question. The article questions were nice though, so much easier than expected.

Any grade boundary predictions - I think they should be low like 60 for an A* and 55 for an A something like that or even lower inshaallaah!!
    I really hope the boundaries are like that inshallah! there were a few tricky questions here and there, so all those 1 or 2 marks lost will pile up, but inshallah it'll be ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammers123)
    I hope they are a lot lower, but I doubt they will be :s
    They should be because the paper wasn't as hard as jan 2011 and wasn't as easy as june 2010 (in my opinion) so grade boundaries should be in the middle of these 2 exams.

Plus the reason why jan 2011 grade boundaries were quite high (64 for an A*) was because most people resat that exam (from june 2010) and in the exam we done most people done it for the first time...

ReputationRep:
    I hope they are a lot lower, but I doubt they will be :s
    the worrying thing is, there were no super hard ridiculous questions like the substrate respiration question in jan 11 (with the bacteria using 4 different things to respire)

most of it was reasonably fair, even the article questions werent stupid or anything, so i dont know if the grade boundaires will fall that low hope so though

btw for the question that said, when the mice were injected with that thing, the effects were only temporary, what was the reason?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    the worrying thing is, there were no super hard ridiculous questions like the substrate respiration question in jan 11 (with the bacteria using 4 different things to respire)

most of it was reasonably fair, even the article questions werent stupid or anything, so i dont know if the grade boundaires will fall that low hope so though

btw for the question that said, when the mice were injected with that thing, the effects were only temporary, what was the reason?
    I said that body cells are destroyed and remade eventually so the new gene would be destroyed too...?

ReputationRep:

Haha, but I could answer that substrate respiration question in revision. But this exam board is so unpredictable with everything, I know people that missed out several questions in unit 4 last year, but still managed to get 120 UMS.

ReputationRep:

Yeah I thought it was a reasonably fair paper too. But I reckon grade boundaries will be about Jan 11. The reason June 10 was low, is that in Jan 11 people had extra time.

I put the cells that had the new gene injected, when they die eventually they are replaced by new cells that didn't have the extra gene in them. Something like that anyway.

ReputationRep:
    This exam annoyed me! It really wasn't all that synoptic and they didn't ask questions on all the other topics that I knew so well
    Let's hope grade boundaries are low, I did SO much waffling and writing everything I could possibly think of to scrounge for marks!

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people seem to have found it OK.

I found it awful - worst exam in 3 years. Probably because the stuff I was most confident on didn't come up, and some random stuff that I spend about 5 minutes on did come up.

I didn't even write waffle - I pretty much gave up. I think the ammount of space to write a 4 mark question usually worries me, because I write till about half way down and run out of ideas. I feel like a lot of my revision has gone to waste because of some pretty abstract random questions. But that's salters for you.

Edit: They switched the agar blocks around? WTF, so now we have to play detective too? Haha. Failed

ReputationRep:
    Haha, but I could answer that substrate respiration question in revision. But this exam board is so unpredictable with everything, I know people that missed out several questions in unit 4 last year, but still managed to get 120 UMS.
    do you know roughly what you need out of 90 for it to go up to 120ums

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ButtonNose)
    This exam annoyed me! It really wasn't all that synoptic and they didn't ask questions on all the other topics that I knew so well
    Let's hope grade boundaries are low, I did SO much waffling and writing everything I could possibly think of to scrounge for marks!
    Yeah same for me really wanted a long question on either aerobic respiration, parkinson's disease, dopamine, brain, heart, sliding filament theory.

ReputationRep:
    Few questions,
    -Did the shoot bend toasted the light, even though they switched the agar blacks the IAA will still diffuse to the other side ( the dark side)
    -the vessel question I put arteries :/ because it has small lumen ?
    -question on the axon membrane what did you put, it was not clear for me. What did they want for that?
    -immune one I put stuff about b cells presenting the antigen to the t helper cells and activating antibody production, when the plasma turns I to b-memory

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid not...sorry

ReputationRep:
    The only question I loved was the habituation one, other than that i felt I was just writing everything even slightly relevant because I wasn't 100% sure...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hey-hey-hey)
    Few questions,
    -Did the shoot bend toasted the light, even though they switched the agar blacks the IAA will still diffuse to the other side ( the dark side)
    -the vessel question I put arteries :/ because it has small lumen ?
    -question on the axon membrane what did you put, it was not clear for me. What did they want for that?
    -immune one I put stuff about b cells presenting the antigen to the t helper cells and activating antibody production, when the plasma turns I to b-memory
    it bent away (right) as far as i know, cause the auxin was concentrated in agar B and then they switched the agar blocks round, so it goes the other way

i put arteries too, and for that same reason lol, but i reckon that might be wrong, i totally forgot about arteroiles

just talked about sodium channels, potassium channels, sideways diffusion etc

yeah thats fine for the last one

anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Around 70 I would imagine. Maybe 65 if boundaries are low.

ReputationRep:
    I cannot believe it took me three days to properly learn aerobic respiration- glycolysis, link reaction, krebs, electron transfer chain- the whole shebang, and it didn't even turn up!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Engineer31)
    Does that mean marks would cap at 70?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Engineer31)
    for full marks??? damn i hope so!

ReputationRep:
    this exam was soooooooooooooooo ****

im not even gonna lie
    but i dont think i answered the questions specifically
    and the answers that i wrote which i know were right - i doubted my self and crossed them out with PEN

i feel so crap
    and the exam didnt cover my strongest points
    and i spent ages learning all these proccesses
    bt didnt know how to apply it to the bloody questions

i couldnt even do the multi choice Qs
    andd

i didnt understand any of the graphs.
    so left out consecutive Q's

x

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.