Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunny10)
    I would have thought i'd be arterioles, capillaries and venules... If i don't get a mark for capillaries when i crossed out arterioles i won't be happy xD
    exactly i what i did bad timeeees! and for the different proteins from a gene i put splicing, but then waffled about slicing polypeptide chains i think D: does that automatically make me lose the mark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hey-hey-hey)
    Few questions,
    -Did the shoot bend toasted the light, even though they switched the agar blacks the IAA will still diffuse to the other side ( the dark side)
    -the vessel question I put arteries :/ because it has small lumen ?
    -question on the axon membrane what did you put, it was not clear for me. What did they want for that?
    -immune one I put stuff about b cells presenting the antigen to the t helper cells and activating antibody production, when the plasma turns I to b-memory
    No, auxins are only made in the meristem of the shoot (ie. the growing tip) so when this is removed, the lower bit of the shoot will only do what the agar blocks "tell it" to do, it wont respond to the light stimulus itself.

arterioles I think was the answer, but arteries might be right.

Axon one I put that ions cannot normally cross the membrane because it is an uncharged lipid bilayer, so ion concentrations can be regulated by the K+/Na+ pumps, K+ channels and voltage gated channels.

Immune one I completely fcuked up so I cant comment aha Completelyyyyyy forgot all the topic 4 stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?)
    Yeah I'm pretty sure any ''small vessel'' would count.
    I sat there for 5 minutes deciding whether it was arterioles or capillaries, in the end wrote capillaries so I HOPE SO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Engineer31)
    Around 70 I would imagine. Maybe 65 if boundaries are low.
    No I think they will be higher for this paper, it was 62 for that January one, and that was mahoooosivelyyy more diffficult than this paper, so I recon 75 ish

(hopefully Im wrong though xD)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VetApplicant2011)
    No I think they will be higher for this paper, it was 62 for that January one, and that was mahoooosivelyyy more diffficult than this paper, so I recon 75 ish

(hopefully Im wrong though xD)
    Exams are subjective. Yes the general trend seems to be a little bit easier, but there were long questions in this one, which means people very likely lost marks here and there which will add up.

Also as some people on here have said, there was hardly any respiration stuff etc. and if that was your real strong point then it was a bit unlucky hardly anything came up for it.

65-68/90 - A* is my guess

(Original post by Naima100)
    I sat there for 5 minutes deciding whether it was arterioles or capillaries, in the end wrote capillaries so I HOPE SO.
    It should be correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobius323)
    The very last question was a little bit awkward for me. The one about the boy with the myostatin mutation? Originally, I used a Punnett Square, but then I noticed that the article said that the mother had the mutation (and more importantly, said nothing about the father) and the question asked, "Suggest how the boy could have obtained this mutation. Use a genetic diagram in your answer." Also, the boy had extra strength to a great extent to his mother, who had one mutation.

This says to me that the boy had two mutations in both alleles - simply because his father couldn't have had any mutations if he had normal strength and atrophy. So, instead of using a Punnett Square, I just made up a DNA gene coding for the "myostatin gene". Then, I showed a mutation occuring in the gene that "might have coded for a stop codon, resulting in the myostatin produced not working efficiently, or an incorrect amino acid being added to the chain which also changes how the protein works".

I was sure that the Punnett Square was wrong, because if the Mother had Mm (I used M's - I see that's been a topic of debate in this thread ) and had the strength but the Father didn't, he MUST have had MM. I don't know if anyone else clocked this or if I'm ridiculously wrong...
    I did think this, but I didnt really have time to think of a new explanation so I was just like mehhh they didnt specifically say anything about the Dad, so he could have been a bit strong haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InItToWinItGetIt?)
    Why wouldn't capillaries count?
    Because they are not under high pressure, but I hope the markers were leniant on that front because I put capillaries too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibbyU)
    Although there were a few tricky questions (in my opinion, the one about troponin in fast twitch/slow twitch fibres and the horrible one about pH of the fibres) I thought this was the best biology paper I've done, and I know it sounds pathetic haha but I was soo unbelievably proud of myself because it's the first exam paper I've ever finished!! I ALWAYS run out of time. So for me that was an achievement in itself
    But to be honest, I've only ever got C's in biology so I doubt I've really done that well haha.]

By the way what is the answer for why the gene inserted (e.g. the epo one injected into the monkeys) only lasts a certain amount of time and not forever?

and how does the proteasome break down the muscle fibres or whatever it was?
    I read somewhere on the thread that it breaks the peptide bonds between the amino acids I think. I honestly didn't know in the exam.
    and it's because the cells that contain the gene will eventually die since cells can only divide a limited number of times.

ReputationRep:
    I did think this, but I didnt really have time to think of a new explanation so I was just like mehhh they didnt specifically say anything about the Dad, so he could have been a bit strong haha
    My viewpoint on the Dad was that if he had the mutation too, that was relevant information which wasn't in the article. You shouldn't really work on the basis of information that isn't there, so I didn't. I assumed he was MM and that he had regular myostatin like the rest of us.

ReputationRep:
    Because they are not under high pressure, but I hope the markers were leniant on that front because I put capillaries too
    But they would be put under high pressure with the 'sludge blood'?

ReputationRep:
    I read somewhere on the thread that it breaks the peptide bonds between the amino acids I think. I honestly didn't know in the exam.
    and it's because the cells that contain the gene will eventually die since cells can only divide a limited number of times.
    Yea i wrote abt the Enzyme-Substrate thing .. lol ...
    That proteasome being an enzyme has an active site where proteins fit in & broken to amino acids .. And final statement this is an eg of Catabolic reaction

ReputationRep:
    Guys in the First Q , the neighbouring cell was the Schawnn cell? RYT?
    And the oval [lol ] inside it was the nucleus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samia99)
    Yea i wrote abt the Enzyme-Substrate thing .. lol ...
    That proteasome being an enzyme has an active site where proteins fit in & broken to amino acids .. And final statement this is an eg of Catabolic reaction
    ok question WHERE THE HELL IS THIS ON OUR SYLLABUS?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibbyU)
    Although there were a few tricky questions (in my opinion, the one about troponin in fast twitch/slow twitch fibres and the horrible one about pH of the fibres) I thought this was the best biology paper I've done, and I know it sounds pathetic haha but I was soo unbelievably proud of myself because it's the first exam paper I've ever finished!! I ALWAYS run out of time. So for me that was an achievement in itself
    But to be honest, I've only ever got C's in biology so I doubt I've really done that well haha.]

By the way what is the answer for why the gene inserted (e.g. the epo one injected into the monkeys) only lasts a certain amount of time and not forever?

and how does the proteasome break down the muscle fibres or whatever it was?
    i said it hydrolyses the peptide bonds ... anyone else write this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    I did dunno if it's right though...

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I wrote exactly that...can't think of anything else it could be :/

ReputationRep:
    that exact sentence fingers crossed its right.

Any one else find for this exam that the Qs werent tooo difficult (on the hole) but there were loads of marks for small questions and I was like urmmm I dont know what else you want me to write!

ReputationRep:
    I really hope the boundaries are like that inshallah! there were a few tricky questions here and there, so all those 1 or 2 marks lost will pile up, but inshallah it'll be ok
    Inshaallaah

ReputationRep:
    that exact sentence fingers crossed its right.

Any one else find for this exam that the Qs werent tooo difficult (on the hole) but there were loads of marks for small questions and I was like urmmm I dont know what else you want me to write!
    ugh how did I not know that? easy marks :/

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.