The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Scroll to see replies

Original post by prokofiev

Think that was about an as one.
Reply 3081

i think that was in the module 1 exam
Reply 3082
Original post by Jammers123
Think that was about an as one.

-.- thanks for crushing my dreams
Yeah, but sometimes when it is a 3 mark multiple choice question, you have to get 4 correct to get three, 3 to get two, and 2 to get one etc.

Yeah that's true.. In the past papers from what I can remember it was one mark per correct answer most of the time... But anyway if it was obviously a relay neurone and that wasn't an option + was only worth 3 marks.. then I guess you were only supposed to put 3 ? I HOPE SO! haaa

Pobably for a different bio paper, not the one we did.
Original post by Naima100

-.- thanks for crushing my dreams

Haha, I wish it was true too :l but there was a letter on my school website which says that there was a mistake in the AS edexcel biology exam :frown:
Reply 3086
Haha, I wish it was true too :l but there was a letter on my school website which says that there was a mistake in the AS edexcel biology exam :frown:

lol oh well. we'll just have to hope for the best (aka VERY low boundaries)
wait WHAT?
auxin does stimulate the H+ pumps! what is this transcription factor rubbish? I thought that was only for animal cells!
it says that word for word in the textbook so idk what you're talking about, LOL, that's the only question I was confident about -.-

You gave me a bit of hope there! so I've just checked my notes.. which I made directly from the text book as I teach myself (My teacher thinks water has a hydrophobic and a hydrophilic part.. and also thinks DNA is positive.. so I have to take matters into my own hands)

My notes read: Auxins bind with receptors on the cell surface membrane at the zone of cell elongation and produce a funtional 2nd messanger which binds to the promotor region as a transcription factor with RNA polymerase and the gene for an ENZYME stimuulating the proton pumps on the cell walls responsible for pumpign H+ into the cytopasm.

The change in pd increases infulx of ions into cell and therefore osmosis.

A second enzyme turned on by the TF breaks the bonds in the cellulose allowing the cells to elongate via osmosis.

So we got the transccription bit wrong but maybe we'll still get 4 marks cause we said everything else right? In the MS it's usually.. 'with reference to' and there's loadsof marjking points so maybe it counts? :L

I just hope I have a sympathetic examiner!
Reply 3088
Original post by monkeyslut27
You gave me a bit of hope there! so I've just checked my notes.. which I made directly from the text book as I teach myself (My teacher thinks water has a hydrophobic and a hydrophilic part.. and also thinks DNA is positive.. so I have to take matters into my own hands)

My notes read: Auxins bind with receptors on the cell surface membrane at the zone of cell elongation and produce a funtional 2nd messanger which binds to the promotor region as a transcription factor with RNA polymerase and the gene for an ENZYME stimuulating the proton pumps on the cell walls responsible for pumpign H+ into the cytopasm.

The change in pd increases infulx of ions into cell and therefore osmosis.

A second enzyme turned on by the TF breaks the bonds in the cellulose allowing the cells to elongate via osmosis.

So we got the transccription bit wrong but maybe we'll still get 4 marks cause we said everything else right? In the MS it's usually.. 'with reference to' and there's loadsof marjking points so maybe it counts? :L

I just hope I have a sympathetic examiner!

wait is this SNAB or the green book?
wait is this SNAB or the green book?

SNAB.. the orange one with the bacteria or whatever they are on the front.

I don't trust gcp
Reply 3090

I don't trust gcp

NO WONDER.
we use the green A2 textbook in class.
and it didn't say any of that.
Lol I meant that, not the CGP.

I don't trust gcp

To be honest though, every textbook contradicts the other which makes anything extremely difficult to learn properly!
Reply 3092
what did people write for their conclusion to the oxygen uptake/heartrate question?

and for the sensitivity pH table thingy did no one leave it as a negative sign to show a decrease? .. just me then :s-smilie:
NO WONDER.
we use the green A2 textbook in class.
and it didn't say any of that.
Lol I meant that, not the CGP.

I thought all the texbooks were the orange for snab and then for the other edexcel syllabus they were green? Maje confused!

Oh well.. obviously your school thinks they're fine and it's not gonna contain wrong info.. maybe my book just goes into more detail and we won't actually lose the mark for saying the auxin causes the change implying that it does it directly? oh well... I reckon we'll still get at least 3 marks for it :biggrin:

what did you put for the troponin one?
Original post by Meesta
I've firmed Sussex for Biology!!!!!!

Sussex Fest.
Reply 3095
Original post by pts9
what did people write for their conclusion to the oxygen uptake/heartrate question?

and for the sensitivity pH table thingy did no one leave it as a negative sign to show a decrease? .. just me then :s-smilie:

what do you mean negative sign?
Original post by pts9

I swear it increased? :O I got 0.8 - 1.6 and then 1.0 to 2.0 ... That's deffo an increase but it depends which way you look at it.

CHANGE can be represented with a negative. If final - intitial = negative thern theres a decrease but with this one i think most would have instictively gone for 7as ititial seeing as this is the usual pH of a body cell.

If your numbers are right you may still get the marks :smile: .. might well say ignore negatives. It's not a maths exam afterall!
For the drawing conclusions one... i said that from the given infromation it is not possible to make any valid conclusions because
1) Not enough variable controls - we only know that gender was controlled.... what about age? etc
2) The data may not be reliable enough because we don't know how many repeats were done... perhaps more repeats were needed and that a statistical test of some sort can assess the significance of the data

? think that may be wrong tho... thoughts?
Reply 3098
I thought all the texbooks were the orange for snab and then for the other edexcel syllabus they were green? Maje confused!

Oh well.. obviously your school thinks they're fine and it's not gonna contain wrong info.. maybe my book just goes into more detail and we won't actually lose the mark for saying the auxin causes the change implying that it does it directly? oh well... I reckon we'll still get at least 3 marks for it :biggrin:

what did you put for the troponin one?

there's another edexcel syllabus? LOL.
anyway I agree, though I don't understand why we shouldn't get the 4 :smile:
um I wrote something along the lines of troponin having 3 binding sites: tropomyosin, actin and calcium ions.
the calcium ions in fast twitch may bind faster to troponin in lower pH levels (more sensitive to calcium ions) than slowtwitch troponin which may need a higher conc. of calcium ions for it to bind.
so if it is replaced, both fibres would be equally sensitive to calcium ion concentration
lol it's honestly waffle, hoping for atleast 2/3 maybe :/
Reply 3099
Original post by chemdweeb1234
For the drawing conclusions one... i said that from the given infromation it is not possible to make any valid conclusions because
1) Not enough variable controls - we only know that gender was controlled.... what about age? etc
2) The data may not be reliable enough because we don't know how many repeats were done... perhaps more repeats were needed and that a statistical test of some sort can assess the significance of the data

? think that may be wrong tho... thoughts?

woah didn't even consider that, there goes another 2 marks :/
you're probably right cause it was a very small sample as well, so maybe bigger sample size needed for reliability.
i just summarised the table SHOOT.

Quick Reply

Latest