Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thank god! I thought my school was the only one to have struggled for time. I was rushing so much it was unreal, I left like 3-4 questions out. Damn. But guys don't worry, past paper grade boundaries are usually about 57-60/90 for an A thats about 30 marks to mess up and seeing as most people struggled for time and missed out questions it will hopefully be lower. I have never struggled for time in a biology exam. I noticed there weren't as many 1 mark questions as usual. Loads of 3-5 mark ones though :|

It's nice to now it wasn't just me struggling for time though

ReputationRep:
    Was it just me or did a lot of the questions make no sense what so ever?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hahahaha)
    You're right i was thinking how is this even biology?! There were hardly any questions where you had to outline biological processes, like the humoral response, which i was more prepared for ah well at least we can all empathise lol!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 19941994)
    You're right i was thinking how is this even biology?! There were hardly any questions where you had to outline biological processes, like the humoral response, which i was more prepared for ah well at least we can all empathise lol!

How come you gus rmb anythg abt the questions :eek::eek:
    I didn't even kno wt was i doing lol...

P.S. Let's start working on unit 5 and the long long nonsense(to me) article lol

ReputationRep:
    'The more frequent and deeper breaths [/U]maintain a steeper concentration gradient of C02 [/U]between the alveolar air and the blood. This ensures removal of C02 and uptake of 02"

Please could someone explain what the above means ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishtarbb)
    How come you gus rmb anythg abt the questions :eek::eek:
    I didn't even kno wt was i doing lol...

P.S. Let's start working on unit 5 and the long long nonsense(to me) article lol
    Lool what?

ReputationRep:
    yeh i agree some questions did not make any sense!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 19941994)

Me too! was up all night perfect the immune system response and photosynthesis! and what comes up in the exam? explain a bloody graphs for almost every question!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gago99)
    yeh i agree some questions did not make any sense!
    It was really hard to anaylse the text as there was so much of it! gaaahhhhh

ReputationRep:
    It was really hard to anaylse the text as there was so much of it! gaaahhhhh
    was it me or did people find it hard to answer many of the three mark questions cause you couldnt come up with points for 3 marks lol!?

ReputationRep:
    For the article, will they ask question about previous units? say, questions about stem cell etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ishtarbb)
    For the article, will they ask question about previous units? say, questions about stem cell etc...
    Yes they can:-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghogho)
    com on pple no one is taking unit 5 this session???!!!!:dontknow:
    i truely need help in the article any
    any suggested questions ?????
    plzzzzz HELP!!!
    :zomg:
    1. What is obesity?

2. Write any 2 reasons for why the people in UK are trying to lose weight?

3. What is the importance of UCP-1 in mammals?

4. How does the activation of BAT occur in mammals?

5. What is the effect of DNP on mammals?

6. How does decreased fat content in patients with anorexia nervosa occur?

7. Could you find out any difference in the mPFC activation of male and female after showing the images of skimpy models?

8. Dieting causes significant metabolic alterations and also in some cases paradoxically leading to disease.
    Find out evidences for the above statements.

9.What is meant by Positron Emission Tomography (PET scanning)? What is its importance?

10. What are the side effects of dinitrophenol (DNP) ?

11. How psychiatric disorders and DNA structure are related?

ReputationRep:
    I thought unit 4 went okay! Luckily im a geographer so the first few quetions were ace but did have to scribble down the last question because my timing was so off
    Completely baffed for unit 5 though, we never went through it in class so no idea what kind of questions could even come up :s
    Does anyone have a list they wouldnt mind posting?

ReputationRep:
    WHYYYYYY does Biology always have to be so late!!!!

Anybody have any predictions for this Unit??

Hope everyone's Unit 4 went well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priyapatel)
    Was it me or was the paper just longer than past papers? Was their more questions or something!? D: gaaah that paper was actually tragic.
    SOOOO many people are complaining that it was so rushed for time.
    Edexcel are surely meant to take into account how long it takes for everyone to read the ridiculous essays beforehand!
    Most other papers have maybe 3 questions which have a huge paragraph before them and then the others are just nice and factual.
    This was literally half a page of writing before every question!!!!!!!!!!
    It was SO unfair!!!!
    Hopefully if enough people complain, grade boundaries could be lower :d
    Get all your teachers to complain. I am!

ReputationRep:
    do they not take into consideration that we have 90 mins for a 90 mark paper? That's 1 mark per minute. By adding paragraphs before each question they just messed the timing up. I guess loads of people will complain, and when they are marking the papers they will see the major either left them incomplete or it will be clearly rushed.
    It just annoyed me that I knew the answer to the last questions as well, I would have got those marks had there not been a issue with timing ><

Edexcel always mess exams up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lagoom)
    I don't understand how in glycolysis a net of two ATPs are produced.
    Glucose is phosphyrylated which uses to ATPs, two GALPs (triose phosphates) are formed
    Each of the GALP is oxidised and loses a h+, which is picked up by NAD so you have two reduced NAD
    This is the part where I get confused
    Do each of the GALPs also lose two phosphates which are picked up by the two ADPs which were left over from the phosphyrylation of glucose. If this is the case there is no net gain of ATP.
    In the book it says 4 ATPs are made during the conversion of the two GALPs to two privates. And that's why there is a net increase of two ATPs. But how are those two ATPs synthesised :s

Help please!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5eMW4b29rg
    I found this video and at like 5:00 min it shows how the GALP is made into another product biphosphate sth and THEN it can make two ADP into ATP...but we don't have to learn it but yeah...hope it answers your question

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have a definition of a coleoptile?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hennnaa)
    article predictions? I have loads:

Pages 1 – 3

1. Describe using specific examples that there is a correlation between the media and amount of body dissatisfaction.

2. Analyse and interpret the possible link between obesity and health issues, such as diabetes, cvd and cancer.

3. Lipids are biological molecules that are insoluble in water, but soluble in organic solvents, like ethanol. Triglycerides are lipids made out of three fatty acids and one molecule of glycerol joined via an ester bond. The glycerol molecules are all the same. Recall the variation between the fatty acids.

4. When a triglyceride is broken apart by hydrolysis, how many components are found as products? Name them.

5. Suggest reasons why it is likely that gender plays a role in susceptibility to eating disorders.

6. List key features of a good study used to determine health risk factors. Refer to examples in the text.

7. Analyse and interpret data about the threats of eating disorders.

8. Recall how brain activation patterns are used to determine the influence of exposure to media images to ones sense of self.

9. The energy you need in a day depends on your basal metabolic rate (bmr) and level of activity. Bmr varies with gender, age and body mass. Discuss this statement.

Page 4

1. How can restricting calories to 1200 calories per day affect cortisol and its subsequent effects on the body (para 18)?

2. In paragraph 20, the brains of rats have been studied to see the effect of ‘yo-yo dieting’. Why are rats considered a good model for study and describe the ethical issues involved in the use of animals in a trial of this kind?

3. Describe the waist-hip ratio and one other measure of physique or obesity.

Page 5

1. The electron transfer chain leads to atp synthesis. How is this explained by the chemiosmotic theory?

2. Suggest how ucp-1 may disrupt respiration at the electron transfer level and prevent the production of some atp.

3. Explain how transcription factors work.

4. Outline the process by which peptide hormones can affect gene transcription.

5. Explain how bat is able to regulate both core body temperature and body weight.

6. Explain how pet scans work.

7. Suggest why heart and brain need to absorb large amounts of glucose.

Page 6

1. How does bat deposition differ in rodents and humans (para 34)?
    In adult humans, bat is mainly deposited above the collar bones and around the neck, however in rodents bat is mainly deposited between shoulder blades.

2. Why have thyroid hormones and other drugs that stimulate the sns (sympathetic nervous system) been used then abandoned?
    Unpleasant side effects were encountered; therefore the thyroid hormones and drugs were abandoned.

3. Describe the effects of fucoxanthin from seaweed (paragraph 38).
    Increase the production of ucp-1 in white adipose tissues.

4. Explain why studies of fucoxanthin involving humans might be necessary?
    Other animals are dissimilar to humans, therefore it is necessary to test fucoxanthin on humans to observe its effectiveness and any possible side effects.

5. Describe the clinical trial process/modern drug testing process that would be needed if fucoxanthin were to be licensed for human trials.
    The first stage of drug trials would be on a large number of healthy volunteers to test for any unpleasant side effects that may have been missed in previous trials. The second trial would be on a large number of patients to test the effectiveness of fucoxanthin in treatment of obesity.

6. Use your scientific knowledge to describe the process by which mice could be genetically engineered to produce high levels of prdm16 proteins (para 40).

Page 7

1. Paragraph 41 suggests the use of gene therapy. Explain how they could ‘transform stem cells’ with the prdm16 gene.

2. ‘tenmodulin’ (paragraph 44) is a transmembrane glycoprotein. Explain the post-transcriptional modifications that are made that enable the glycoprotein to reach its final destination.
    The protein is

3. Pararaph 45 states that mrna codes for various proteins. Explain how mrna templates are used to specify the chemical structure of a protein.
    Trna molecules

4. Paragraph 46 mentions the ‘dopaminergic system’. Name and describe a disease where dopamine secretion is affected and describe the main symptoms.

5. Paragraph 45 mentions the protein ‘interleukin-6’, which is an anti-inflammatory protein. Suggest the impact of anorexia on the immune system.

6. Epigenetic changes’ are where the dna base sequence remains the same, but changes are made to other parts of the dna structure. This may affect gene expression. Using your knowledge of dna structure and protein synthesis, suggest how ‘dna methylation’ may ‘alter gene expression’ (paragraph 46).

Sorry for the odd format, hope that helps people who are stuck on the article, if you have more, let me know! :d x

thank you soo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:d

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.