Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moleman101)
    I swear that if I had done no revision at all for the exam, my grade would hardly change. What a stupid paper...
    I always feel that way after edexcel biology exams! Always. And i think about how much time i wasted revising everything that i didnt even need to know. So annoyed muscle contraction didnt come up

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad

ReputationRep:
    what did people put for the question about why the pupil appears to be black, i know it was a one marker, but it's bugging me

ReputationRep:
    what a f***ing waste of brain energy to revise sh** that didn't even come up
    like auxin etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hetty123)
    what did people put for the question about why the pupil appears to be black, i know it was a one marker, but it's bugging me
    Because most of the light entering the pupil is absorbed.

ReputationRep:
    I put something along the lines all waves of visible light are absorbed and therefore no light is reflecting back.

ReputationRep:
    okay my ans was kind of silly bt i wrote the pupil is a hole in the eye and what is inside they eye is totally dark cuz light gets absorbed nt reflected

ReputationRep:
    pple honestly the exam wasnt that bad i mean it was much much easier than the one of unit 4 isnt it !!!
    then cheer up and look at the bright side
    its SUMMER TIME no more IGs isnt it thats GREAT

ReputationRep:
    I preferred unit 4 .. This paper was a bit ambiguous for my liking. And question 7 was weird - simple reading comprehension ... For 30 marks? You're having a bubble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghogho)
    okay my ans was kind of silly bt i wrote the pupil is a hole in the eye and what is inside they eye is totally dark cuz light gets absorbed nt reflected
    Same haha i just said its a hole!! Damn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 19941994)
    Same haha i just said its a hole!! Damn

hahahah well wish it correct

ReputationRep:
    I'm going somewhere now, but before I do, can someone confirm that THAT PAPER WAS ABSOLUTELY RIDCULOUS!

I am SO depressed, it's going to affect my uni :'( :'( :'(

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else think the wording of question 3 (the rats) was very muddly. I swear one of the questions (I think part c) was wrong, I asked the invigilator but she looked at it and told me there's nothing wrong with it and to read it again. But I'm sure it was was asking about exp2 (you had to write about what it measured or something) but told you to write about exp1!!??!!?? which was measuring something else. And it was directly after it explained what exp 2 was doing.

At least the last section was actually relevant to the article. I think in past years teachers must have complained that the article was pretty much irrelevant to the questions or something. But still, two of the questions asked you to copy out sentences from the article! i think thats going from one extreme to the other. And annoying cos we'd revised stuff that was vaguely to do with the article like how you measure BMI and why waist:hip would be better. And all that jazz.

ReputationRep:
    Percentage question: I did 0.15 * 0.8 = 12% ?

ReputationRep:
    what a f***ing waste of brain energy to revise sh** that didn't even come up
    like auxin etc
    Auxin, action potentials, neurotransmitters, muscles, sport, respiration, the heart...

NOTHING on those came up. Questions were so vague and waffly, and half the time I didn't quite understand what they were asking for (rats questions, pupil questions, SPIROMETER QUESTION). Also a lot of the article question seemed like comprehension, I was worried I was doing the wrong thing by almost copying word for word what was in the article. Come to think of it, that exam was bad bad bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gman1234)
    I think the 2nd one was like "Phytochromes can respond to all wavelengths of light"
    Its cross cross tick tick. You are right.

ReputationRep:
    For the last phytochrome questions the answer was
    Cross
    Cross
    Cross
    Tick
    1. Is it depolarised by sodium ions; no due to it being affacted by pfr/pr
    2. Does all wave lengths of light affect it; no only wavelenght in the range 730 and 660
    3. Does it affect growth and development; no auxin affects growth only, phytcchromes affect flowering and germination
    4. Does darkness affect it;yes

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Apologies if this has already been asked/answered.

The percentage question of mortality in anorexic teens in the article questions, wtf actually was that? Not hugely bothered as it was only 2 marks and obviously can't change it now but would really like to know how it was worked out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by britchick)
    Auxin, action potentials, neurotransmitters, muscles, sport, respiration, the heart...

NOTHING on those came up. Questions were so vague and waffly, and half the time I didn't quite understand what they were asking for (rats questions, pupil questions, SPIROMETER QUESTION). Also a lot of the article question seemed like comprehension, I was worried I was doing the wrong thing by almost copying word for word what was in the article. Come to think of it, that exam was bad bad bad.
    The easiest question on the paper was 'why is a pupil black' but noone else in my class knew what to write apart from me!!!! it's cos it absorbs light - thats gcse physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1232584769)
    For the last phytochrome questions the answer was
    Cross
    Cross
    Cross
    Tick
    1. Is it depolarised by sodium ions; no due to it being affacted by pfr/pr
    2. Does all wave lengths of light affect it; no only wavelenght in the range 730 and 660
    3. Does it affect growth and development; no auxin affects growth only, phytcchromes affect flowering and germination
    4. Does darkness affect it;yes

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Question 3- flower and germination is part of growth and development.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clare~Bear)
    The easiest question on the paper was 'why is a pupil black' but noone else in my class knew what to write apart from me!!!! it's cos it absorbs light - thats gcse physics.
    Everyone who does both Chem and Bio will be able to answer that one...

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.