Turn on thread page Beta
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thegoodleftundone)
    Pretty sure the phytochrome multiple choice you're all debating was:
    Tick
    Cross
    Tick
    Tick

    Such an idiot, can't believe I didn't get the black pupil question haha. But found that paper pretty good.

    One thing I'm concerned about is the metabolism of that protein question, being trapped in the cell. Did we just have to copy and paste for that too? I didn't really use the text, talked about problems there could be with glycolysis and the link reaction. Was worth quite a few marks.

    Can't believe I didn't write that the spine density was increased due to more synapses, such another obvious mark to miss!

    What did some of you find hard about the spirometer question: I thought it was a really straightforward core practical explanation?
    Wasn't sure, I put

    Cross
    Cross
    Tick
    Tick
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgesundae)
    It was 80% guys.

    This is the information you were given. There was an 80% rise in the number of cases. Mortality rate is between 10 and 20%.

    Think about it this way. If I flip a coin, the probability I get heads is 50%. If I flip that coin 4 times, the probability of getting a heads is still going to be 50%.

    So in this case. If someone is admitted with anorexia, there is a 10-20% chance they will die. If 80% more people are admitted with anorexia, there is still a 10-20% chance they will die.

    You can do it with numbers as well. Lets take 15% as the mortality rate. If you start with 100 people, 15 will die. After the 80% increase there are 180 people. 15% of that is 27.
    15 to 27 is an 80% increase.
    that example is pretty convincing ! what iam asking is why did you take 15 % ?! it was from 10 - 20 ?! were we supposed to use the mean ?
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iesians)
    that example is pretty convincing ! what iam asking is why did you take 15 % ?! it was from 10 - 20 ?! were we supposed to use the mean ?
    I just took it as an example as it is the average of 10-20%. Just trying to show that if you change the number of cases but not the mortality rate the number of mortalities increases by the same percentage as the number of cases.
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iesians)
    i got 16% :-

    80% of pop was admitted so
    80/100* X (X is number of young girls)

    out of these 20% died :-
    20/100(80/100*X)
    cut out zeros and simplify it would come
    16/100*X so 16% of X (young girls) died due to anorexia.
    There was a range from 10-20% mortality rate though, so I used the mean which was 15% x 80% = 12%
    Why did you choose to use 20%?
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by britchick)
    There was a range from 10-20% mortality rate though, so I used the mean which was 15% x 80% = 12%
    Why did you choose to use 20%?
    lol i dunno !
    i felt they asked for increase (of course they did) so i chose a max value ! lol i didnt think too much cuz i wanted to finish the paper ! lol
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mithrans)
    You obviously cannot say that 16% of young girls died due to anorexia. First of all you can't calculatoe how many of the girls in general died to anorexia, because the data just told you of an increase in the number of girrls with anorexia.
    As I remember the question, and please correct me if I'm wrong, it asked the percentage increase in the deaths of girls WITH ANOREXIA. So my calculations were:
    x- the initial number of anorexic girls
    p/100 (p=10-20%) the percentage who died
    so x*p/100 is the number of initial deaths of girls with anorexia
    now x increased by 80% so that would be x* 180/100- the final number of anorexic girls
    the mortality rate stayed the same (makes sense) so of these x*p/100 *180/100 die
    now let z be the percentage increase in the number of deaths of anorexic girls:
    x*p/100*(z+100)/100=x*p/100*180/100
    This results in z+100=180, so z=80%
    which makes sense, since the percentage increase in the number of anorexic girls is reflected in the number of deaths of anorexic girl

    Note: THIS REASONING IS CORRECT ONLY IF THE QUESTION ASKED FOR THE PERCENTAGE INCREASE IN THE NUMBER OF DEATHS OF ANOREXIC GIRLS. PLS CORRECT ME IF THIS WAS NOT THE QUESTION.
    This seems an awful lot to do for just 2 marks, considering there was hardly enough space too. Edexcel has to assume the candidate has little more than GCSE Maths knowledge and wouldn't be expected to do all of that. I reckon either the answer is something different, or there's a simpler way of calculating it.
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgesundae)
    It was 80% guys.

    This is the information you were given. There was an 80% rise in the number of cases. Mortality rate is between 10 and 20%.

    Think about it this way. If I flip a coin, the probability I get heads is 50%. If I flip that coin 4 times, the probability of getting a heads is still going to be 50%.

    So in this case. If someone is admitted with anorexia, there is a 10-20% chance they will die. If 80% more people are admitted with anorexia, there is still a 10-20% chance they will die.

    You can do it with numbers as well. Lets take 15% as the mortality rate. If you start with 100 people, 15 will die. After the 80% increase there are 180 people. 15% of that is 27.

    15 to 27 is an 80% increase.
    What calculations did you do then? Did you just state 80%? How would you get the 2 marks?
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    someone tell me 80% is wrong
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thegoodleftundone)
    Pretty sure the phytochrome multiple choice you're all debating was:
    Tick
    Cross
    Tick
    Tick
    This is what I put too. Looking from everybody else's answers I think we've gotten the last 2 right and possibly the 2nd one right but I think the first one may be wrong. I clearly remember sitting there for a good 5 minutes contemplating that one though! Haha
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    My MCQs answers:

    Movement - controlled in cerebellum
    pH levels rising - medulla which regulates heartbeat etc.
    Ions at beginning of depolarisation - sodium
    Ions that move back into presynaptic membrane - calcium
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iesians)
    someone tell me 80% is wrong
    I'm afraid it looks like it's correct. Didn't think of that when doing my answer, I did the same way a lot of others have said :/
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash356)
    I'm afraid it looks like it's correct. Didn't think of that when doing my answer, I did the same way a lot of others have said :/
    I don't see how 80% is right, why would they have left space to calculate and award you 2 marks just for stating it?
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by britchick)
    I don't see how 80% is right, why would they have left space to calculate and award you 2 marks just for stating it?
    thats what makes my answer method so convincing.
    it had only 2 steps for 2 marks !!!
    so i didnt even turn around to think there's somethign wrong !
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Has anyone's teachers seen the papers? What do they reckon grade boundaries to be like?
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by britchick)
    I don't see how 80% is right, why would they have left space to calculate and award you 2 marks just for stating it?
    Say you had a 1000. An increase of 80% is 1800.
    10% of 1000 is 100. 10% of 1800 is 180. The mortality rate has increased by 80%.
    The thing that makes me believe this is the correct method is it doesn't matter what of the 10-20% mortality you used. If you used 20% or 15%, you still get an 80% increase, rather than the range of answers (8-12%)
    As for the working out, I presume you have to prove it works by doing the aforementioned calculation or something.
    I really hope it is the 8-12%, seeing as that's what I put, but the 80% answer actually makes sense to me in fairness :/
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammy-lou)
    HAHAHHA OH GOD. Am I the only person who put that the pupil is black because it is a hole?!?!

    That was honestly the most ridiculous paper ever - unit 4 and 5 both were. I'm just at the point of laughing instead of crying right now...
    Sadly, your not the only one who put that, I did too, god knows what I was thinking, I just didn't know what else to put.

    Fml !
    Offline

    9
    ReputationRep:
    Dw guys everyone found it challenging and different people got different things wrong, I think grade boundaries will be low for both Units 4 and 5!

    Hmm what was the first phytochrome question again?
    Offline

    16
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by britchick)
    What calculations did you do then? Did you just state 80%? How would you get the 2 marks?
    I did pretty much that. Showed that it would be 80% before and after using examples.

    I also wrote a note saying that if the number of cases increases by a certain percentage and the mortality rate stays the same then the percentage of deaths also increases by that amount.

    The answer to the question they asked is definitely 80%. Although the fact that it is two marks makes me think that they made a mistake and meant to ask a slightly different question. I remember in Unit 1 or 2 last year they had a multiple choice question which didn't have a correct answer, so this could be similar. If it is they just take the question out and would mark the paper out of 88.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgesundae)
    I did pretty much that. Showed that it would be 80% before and after using examples.

    I also wrote a note saying that if the number of cases increases by a certain percentage and the mortality rate stays the same then the percentage of deaths also increases by that amount.

    The answer to the question they asked is definitely 80%. Although the fact that it is two marks makes me think that they made a mistake and meant to ask a slightly different question. I remember in Unit 1 or 2 last year they had a multiple choice question which didn't have a correct answer, so this could be similar. If it is they just take the question out and would mark the paper out of 88.
    i SO hope that happens
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    I also wrote about the pupil being a hole
    LOL!
 
 
 

University open days

  1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.