Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please explain how liposomes are used in gene therapy? The textbook says we covered it in AS Topic 2.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    My last go @ the questions >
    http://www.mediafire.com/?mtz4nykyygz

Can't be bothered to answer some of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shuvo_roy)
    Page 206 of the green book by Ann Fullick.

When stimulated, the Na+ move into the axon, thus depolarising the membrane, and local electric currents are generated in the membrane......how's that?
    Sorry I don't have the green book lol..

Uhm, I think its suggesting that when Na diffuse into the membrane, it creates a potential difference and depolarises the membrane. So the charges inside the membrane become more positive and the charge outside becomes more negative..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeckyDay)
    Could someone please explain how liposomes are used in gene therapy? The textbook says we covered it in AS Topic 2.

Thanks in advance.
    Gene Therapy:

Normal forms of the alleles are put into "target cells" - by liposomes or GM viruses. This is then injected into the human, and the normal genes are transcribed/translated into the the DNA. Now the body starts producing the normal forms of the genes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedus)
    Gene Therapy:

Normal forms of the alleles are put into "target cells" - by liposomes or GM viruses. This is then injected into the human, and the normal genes are transcribed/translated into the the DNA. Now the body starts producing the normal forms of the genes...
    Thank you. I was worried we were meant to know the exact details of it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeckyDay)
    Thank you. I was worried we were meant to know the exact details of it all.
    Nah, just remember them 3 points and you'll be fine..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terminatorsb)
    isnt it caused by a difference in the potential of inner and outer membrane and the inner is negative compared to the outside??
    as in the process or events of how it arises

ReputationRep:
    and is an action potential created at +40mV?? or is it just the whole depolarising to repolarising

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koop)
    cheers
    Grr, i didn't forget, the friggin scanners playin up. D'you want me to write up the answers to any of the Qs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedus)
    Gene Therapy:

Isn't the vector (virus/liposome) inserted directly into the human? What are target cells?

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone outline the differences between control of ventillation and control of heart rate? I know they're both controlled by the ventilation centre and cardiovascular centre in the medulla but I get so confused. cheers

ReputationRep:
    whats the difference between convergence and spatial summation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kappleberry)
    Grr, i didn't forget, the friggin scanners playin up. D'you want me to write up the answers to any of the Qs?
    no prob, na its cool I think i done it enough times to think I got atleast 35 but thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koop)
    and is an action potential created at +40mV?? or is it just the whole depolarising to repolarising
    Action potential is only created if the excittaion exceeds a certain threshold freequency which is around -55 mV or so...depends on various books as they have diff values...if excitation passes above this threshold only then is an action potential generated to +40mv...all or nothing after that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbob21)
    I've not heard of convergence, I'm assuming that means temporal summation? Spatial summation is when more than one impulse arrives at a synapse at the same time, their effect is combined, temporal summation is when many impulses arrive along one neurone one after the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbob21)
    convergence ?? you mean temperal summation right?

spatial summation is where impulses come from different synapses which produces an action potential in the postsynaptic membrane.

temperal summation is where impulses come from one synapse/neuron which produces an action potential in the postsynaptic membrane.

ReputationRep:
    agreed it does occur as diff words in some books though but i dont think there should be much of a difference

ReputationRep:
    Heyy! Stupid question I know..but everyone in my class is confused. Is the scientific article going to be given to us during the exam or are we supposed to practically memorize a 13 page article by tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluestarlulu)
    Heyy! Stupid question I know..but everyone in my class is confused. Is the scientific article going to be given to us during the exam or are we supposed to practically memorize a 13 page article by tomorrow?
    It Should be given as an insert and we all are hoping so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terminatorsb)
    Action potential is only created if the excittaion exceeds a certain threshold freequency which is around -55 mV or so...depends on various books as they have diff values...if excitation passes above this threshold only then is an action potential generated to +40mv...all or nothing after that
    cool, at the point more sodium channels open

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 30, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.