Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 22/06/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD ! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    PFr does!

ReputationRep:
    PFR stimulates germination!

In long-day plants, PFR stimulates flowering.
    In short-day plants, lack of PFR stimulates flowering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kappleberry)
    Re phytochromes, do we need to know which one stimulates flowering/germination?

if so..which ones do what?

in long day plants: Pfr stimulates flowering.
    in short day plants: Pfr inhibits flowering and it is a lack of Pfr rather than Pr which stimulates flowering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecdon)
    not too good tbh lol. i get the article but im just worried about what they may ask us! how about u
    the article aint too bad, coulda been worse. i just finished reading the book, and going through it again, making notes. im wakin up at 1 tommoz lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedus)
    Sorry I don't have the green book lol..

Uhm, I think its suggesting that when Na diffuse into the membrane, it creates a potential difference and depolarises the membrane. So the charges inside the membrane become more positive and the charge outside becomes more negative..
    i understood that....but how the wave of depolarisation is carried along the length of axon??...they mention local currents......!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samydude)
    Discussions @ http://qchat.rizon.net/

Channel - 6BI05
    Anyone fancy a go on here?

No-one in the chat-room atm :dontknow: but had a good session before Bio4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shuvo_roy)
    i understood that....but how the wave of depolarisation is carried along the length of axon??...they mention local currents......!!
    i think its because the change in potential difference in the first bit of the membrane initiates a second action potential to the one next to it. And this continues along an the axon which carrys the impulse. Sorry i am really crap at explaining.

and by local electric currents, i think they just mean either Na+, K+ or Cl-.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shuvo_roy)
    the sodium ions that enter the neurone when the channels open move to an adjacent area of the neurone ...so the next node of ranvier and create a local current which depolarises the node causing the threshold level to be reached and thus sodium ion channels open and a action potential is created a depolarisation increase from more sodium ions coming in due to the opened channels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peterejhamilton)
    Anyone fancy a go on here?

No-one in the chat-room atm :dontknow: but had a good session before Bio4.
    D'you need to sign up?

ReputationRep:
    O lol, kay nvm. I get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kappleberry)
    D'you need to sign up?
    Nope, just follow samydude's instructions I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecdon)
    alright sherman!!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, everyone has moved to 6BI05 (copy and paste - its a zero not the letter O)

at http://qchat.rizon.net/

See you there.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, is there any difference between the threshold potential and the generator potential?

ReputationRep:
    so the questions posted earlier about dancing worms, are they the actual questions in the exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skotch)
    Guys, is there any difference between the threshold potential and the generator potential?
    nope....but I would stick with threshold potential as thats what the snab book talks about

ReputationRep:
    please help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by f9filly)
    so the questions posted earlier about dancing worms, are they the actual questions in the exam
    lol why would they..they are Q's to help you understand the article

ReputationRep:

nope, we won't know what's on it until we sit it, they're just to help you understand it :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Nope - just questions that people made up and could quite possible come up..

On that note - has anyone done the third set of questions that skotch put up?

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.